Advice sought: Stowa Marine / Schauer Chrono 10

Thread: Advice sought: Stowa Marine / Schauer Chrono 10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice sought: Stowa Marine / Schauer Chrono 10

Hi - I'm new to the forum, and while not a watch collector, am interested in both the Stowa and Schauer watches, as they seem to have excellent workmanship, nice designs, and comparatively good value. The aspect of them being well regarded by watch aficionados yet not as common as say rolexes, is also appealing IMO.

I am thinking of buying either a Stowa Marine (not sure whether to go original or automatic) or a Schauer Chronograph Edition 10 (white face). Clearly these choices are rather different in terms of price, but I have a few questions, that hopefully someone will be kind enough to assist with:

1) I have a small wrist (approx 16.5 - 17cms I think). It's hard to evaluate a watch without trying it on, but would both of these watches look ridiculously large? I realize that's a matter of opinion, but any thoughts are welcome

2) Any thoughts on respective pros/cons of the two watches I'm contemplating

3) I'm based in the continental US - regarding payment of taxes/duty, have people here had any issues, or is it all taken care of as long as the price paid in the online store is the tax inclusive price? One of the advantages it seems of going with the secondhand market, is the avoidance of any such problems.

Thanks to anyone who can help

Re: Advice sought: Stowa Marine / Schauer Chrono 10

Hello and welcome. Those are two of my favorite pieces from the Stowa/Schauer collection. I have a 7" wrist and feel very comfortable with both.
    The Edition 10 is a pretty thick due to the flat bezel, it's a beautiful well made piece. Jorg's casework is top notch. If the thickness is an issue the Edition 12 has a slightly lower profile due to the tapered bezel.
    The Marine Original has a lower profile and the dial appears larger. I enjoy wearing both but the MO seem to get a bit more wrist time.
    If you are going to buy a new Schauer the US AD's are german24watches and watchbuys. If you are going new on Stowa you would have to go online and order with them. Either way I'm sure you will be happy with your pick, good luck.

Cheers, Pat

Last edited by Ptern; November 12th, 2008 at 05:14.

thanks very much Pat - I appreciate the post and the photos, very helpful for me to get a sense of the size of the watches etc

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can definitely sign every single aspect Pat wrote.
    The Marine wears pretty nice (you cannot neglect the 41mm) on my wrist (175mm).

Every time I tried a Schauer Chrono with the straight bezel as the 10 is, my feeling was to better exchange this for a shaped bezel as Edition 12 has for example. The height definitely looks huge with the regular bezel. With another bezel it looks fine imho.

So in your case I would advice to think about an edition 12 or ask wheter it might be possible to change the bezel.

I also think that the finish of a brushed Marine is pretty close to that of a Schauer watch.
    But definitely a Schauer Chrono is a step further than a Stowa - this in a range where the smaller the steps become the more expensive they will be.
    Last edited by powermaxi2000; November 12th, 2008 at 14:00.

I'll answer your question about shipping & taxes for Stowa. It is super easy. You pay in euro via PayPal (now is a good time to buy- the euro is hanging around $1.30). Once your watch is ready it only takes a couple days to get to the states (I'm in LA, so if you are a bit more remote from a major city add a day or too). It is delivered via FedEx Express. You will receive a bill a few weeks later for duties; mine was under $20 for my MO. That's all there is to it. It was more work to write it out than it was to actually place the order ha ha.

I would avoid the secondhand market if possible... less headaches ordering a brand new watch (at a great price) direct from the nice people at Stowa.

Not sure about the process for ordering Schauer... I would like to know myself.
    Last edited by RugerWS; November 12th, 2008 at 17:02.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerWS View Post
    FedEx Express.
    Is that by any mean faster than Federal Express?

(sorry RugerWS, I'm out...)
    Didier/Dieter
    Omega Constellation pie-pan (cal. 551, 1962)Stowa Flieger Baumuster A AutoSwatch SUJM704 day-date

FedEx Express as opposed to FedEx Ground... sounds redundant, I know. Whatever. Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by RugerWS View Post
    FedEx Express as opposed to FedEx Ground... sounds redundant, I know. Whatever. Ha ha.
    I'm sorry, I saw that stuttering "FedEx Express" on their products, website and so on, but never knew the concept of "FedEx Ground" for terrestrial shipping, I never pushed on you about that.

But yes, that was kinda funny.
    Didier/Dieter
    Omega Constellation pie-pan (cal. 551, 1962)Stowa Flieger Baumuster A AutoSwatch SUJM704 day-date

thanks all for the advice and info on sizes / delivery .. given budget constraints, plus the size factor, I'm definitely leaning towards the Marine .. I'm still rather concerned about it looking oversized on my wrist - I just checked and my wrist is indeed 16.5cm (6.5inches) For that reason perhaps an Antea (KS or 365) would be a bit better? I do prefer the look of the Marine however

No worries... ha ha. But that is nothing compared to a major league baseball team we have here in California... the full name is "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" and if you translate the spanish words to english it makes the name "The The Angels Angels of Anaheim" ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Zoot Allures View Post
    I'm sorry, I saw that stuttering "FedEx Express" on their products, website and so on, but never knew the concept of "FedEx Ground" for terrestrial shipping, I never pushed on you about that.

But yes, that was kinda funny.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information