Airman 40mm increase to 42-45mm?

Thread: Airman 40mm increase to 42-45mm?

Airman 40mm increase to 42-45mm?

Hi to All

Is there any intention to offer a slightly larger diameter
    in the current; no logo auto, logo auto, logo auto+date?
    i.e. increase from current 40mm to maybe 42-45mm?

Thanks in advance
    mbmci

Re: Airman 40mm increase to 42-45mm?

I am playing the devil's advocate here:

I am for Airman to reduce its size to 38mm or 37.5mm or maybe 35mm, but still on the 20mm lug. As we all know that the original Airman back in WWII is 55mm but it was strapped on the sleeve of pilots' leather jacket. It's easier for them to read the time. But, no one wears that size now, well except you are 7' and 350 lbs (gee, I wonder who that is) and it may fit well on you. Among all my findings that back in those days, and up till now that we are used to the size of 42mm being a "perfect size," that men wore smaller wristwatches - smaller than 40mm, even they had same wrist sizes as we do. One example is that most of vintage watches before 1950 are all smaller than 40mm.

Due to the lug to lug distance of the Airman, 49mm, the watch is already looking quite big on the smaller wrist guys, wrist size smaller than 7 inches (18mm.) And so, I would suggest Stowa to create smaller size Airman. Who knows, maybe it will sell better.

But again, it's just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by t1026 View Post
    I am playing the devil's advocate here:

I am for Airman to reduce its size to 38mm or 37.5mm or maybe 35mm, but still on the 20mm lug. As we all know that the original Airman back in WWII is 55mm but it was strapped on the sleeve of pilots' leather jacket. It's easier for them to read the time. But, no one wears that size now, well except you are 7' and 350 lbs (gee, I wonder who that is) and it may fit well on you. Among all my findings that back in those days, and up till now that we are used to the size of 42mm being a "perfect size," that men wore smaller wristwatches - smaller than 40mm, even they had same wrist sizes as we do. One example is that most of vintage watches before 1950 are all smaller than 40mm.

Due to the lug to lug distance of the Airman, 49mm, the watch is already looking quite big on the smaller wrist guys, wrist size smaller than 7 inches (18mm.) And so, I would suggest Stowa to create smaller size Airman. Who knows, maybe it will sell better.

But again, it's just my two cents.
    I guess it is my turn being the devil. I realize there are some people out there that want watches under 40mm but that number is few and far between and shrinking everyday. I have a fairly normal sized wrist(7 3/8) and the smallest watch I own is the 39mm Antea which does wear a little larger. I am not the type of person that is going to go beserk and start wearing 50mm watches, but at this point I can not see myself ever buying another watch under 42mm. I do not think I am alone in that regard either. In short, there is not a sustainable market for 35mm men's watches...IMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like the idea of a slightly larger (42-45mm) Stowa Airman.

One reason why comparitively men of today are wearing larger diameter watches that yesteryear is we are now fatter, larger, bigger. However you slice & dice it that is how it is. We eat more & walk/exercise less than they did 40-80 yrs ago. Being larger means we have comparitively bigger wrists, which generally means larger diameter watches, IMO
    James.

Longines -- Panerai -- Steinhart

stuffler,mike

Not afaik.

I think to use your wrist size to determine the prefer watch diameter is all relative. For all that had watched the movie "Elizabeth Town" (I know some were forced to watch that movie by their wives or significant others) know that Orlando Bloom wore a Panerai Fiddy in that movie. Does that watch look big on his wrist? It's a matter of opinion. For those who had not watch the movie, just look at the avatar of Riker (sorry, mate), does that watch look big on the wrist?

If Airman had smaller cases such as Antea has then I think it will probably stir up its market. Of cause, there can be larger sizes and smaller sizes than 40mm. It's up to Herr Schauer's decision. I, would for sizes smaller than 40mm for I prefer wear smaller watches so that I would not bump them into everything.

One of the things i like about the Stowa pilots, is that they are not to big.

Look at the IWC big pilot, beautiful watch, but when you put it on your arm it looks like a hockey puck.

To me the Stowa 40mm case Is as perfect as It gets
    You`re interested in stopwatches? Please visit
    http://stopwatches.forum24.se

Thread Information