Airman Automatic

Thread: Airman Automatic

Airman Automatic

Just wanted to introduce myself; my name is Phil, and I'm a molecular biologist in the Fort Collins, Colorado area. I received my Airman Automatic (my first Stowa watch) this morning, so I just wanted to tell everyone my impressions.
    First and foremost, what everyone says about Stowa's excellent customer service is true in my experience. The watch took a little longer to ship than I expected, but I understand there were some supplier delays that set things back in the shop for many of the models; not much anyone could do about that, so no big deal. Viveca Hafner was very helpful and responsive to my questions, and offers Stowa an excellent link to the public. On to the watch itself:
    The watch is the standard Airman Automatic (you are all very familiar with it, so I won't bother with pics, unless someone wants pics from a specific angle that they can't see on the Stowa website). I love the size. It's pretty large on me, but not absurd. The Airman Original was tempting, but I cycle through a few watches each week, and I'm not sure I can deal with a manual one right now, so that's why I went with the auto. The fit and finish are great, and the overall look is simple and clean. The display back is nice, but of course the 2824 movement is no beauty. I got the watch with the old style riveted strap, and it's of a very good quality-whoever is making the straps for Stowa is doing a good job-well worth the asking price.
    Overall, this is a good, basic watch, and probably worth more than the asking price. It already makes me want one of the Marine models, and makes me understand the demand you guys and gals have for the limited models that feature different, more adorned movements.
    Hope this has been useful to someone, and I apologize if it more appropriately belongs in the reviews forum.
    Phil

Re: Airman Automatic

I agree with your sentiments, but have to add that the COSC version of the 2824-2, as done by Stowa, is truly one of the most beautiful movements I've seen, especially in an automatic movement.

My pics don't do it justice, but it is something special for sure

Chris
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

stuffler,mike

Welcome to the club and welcome to Watchuseek as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forum and to join the "Mile High Stowa Airman Club." You won't believe how many of us here love that watch, regardless the models. Wear it in your excellent health.

Thanks for the welcome guys! My experience with Stowa is very limited, but already I can see that there is something very special about this company. Stowa has a very.."small shop" air about it. By that, I mean that it seems very unusual to actually be able to converse with the watchmaker himself. We see that Herr Schauer has been personally trying to resolve a customs problem for a forum member, ON HIS HOLIDAY!!!! Unbelievable. The craftsmanship that I see in my Airman is terrific. I am beginning to see why you guys clamor for the limited edition and special release watches Herr Schauer makes. I'm going to be in line for one of those too, someday.
    Thanks again for the welcome, I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning more about Stowa/Schauer watches.
    Phil

Congrats...

I'm wearing mine right now. Mine has the COSC movement but I bet yours has the blued screws, correct? I have that movement in my SeaTime and while it isn't ornate it still looks good and fits with the Airman's tool watch roots.

Re: Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    I'm wearing mine right now. Mine has the COSC movement but I bet yours has the blued screws, correct? I have that movement in my SeaTime and while it isn't ornate it still looks good and fits with the Airman's tool watch roots.
    Yes, it does have blued screws. The watch really is fantastic. I didn't realize that it would have a slightly domed front crystal, and I really like that. Also, the blued hands are great. I like the way they look black at some angles and blue at others.

Re: Congrats...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    while it isn't ornate it still looks good and fits with the Airman's tool watch roots.
    Not quite true from my understanding, as the B-Uhr watches used movements which appear to have decoration on them and had to be Chronometers.

The blued screws do make a difference though, as this is done by Stowa as standard and the hand-blued screws look nicer than the chemically blued ones in my COSC movement.

Thread Information