Airman Original or Automatic (New Member - New Question)

Thread: Airman Original or Automatic (New Member - New Question)

Airman Original or Automatic (New Member - New Question)

Hi everyone - I have a question regarding the Airman, hope you can help...

I'm really interested in getting an Airman, it's a beautiful watch but I'm not 100% about the differences between the models.

I can see that the Original Airman has a manual wind movement as opposed to the automatic Airman (no logo/no date on both - which I prefer), but what else differentiates them? Apart from the lead time and price tag?

I'm on the edge of placing an order - not sure which way to go - any details would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone,

Re: Airman Original or Automatic (New Member - New Question)

A few differences include the case size, the Airman Original ("AO") has a slightly larger diameter and 2mm wider lugs, which means there are some more intriguing options for the AO with aftermarket straps. Also, the Unitas movement of the AO is nicely decorated and can be had with a swans neck regulator. The AO is also thicker giving the watch more presence. That said, for many people the Airman Auto with is thinner profile and slightly smaller size fits better. Also, the Airman Auto has a significantly shorter waiting period. Although they are both excellent timepieces, it really comes down to preference.

Thanks Zebra -appreciate the info

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Glasspanda View Post
    Hi everyone - I have a question regarding the Airman, hope you can help...

I'm really interested in getting an Airman, it's a beautiful watch but I'm not 100% about the differences between the models.

I can see that the Original Airman has a manual wind movement as opposed to the automatic Airman (no logo/no date on both - which I prefer), but what else differentiates them? Apart from the lead time and price tag?

I'm on the edge of placing an order - not sure which way to go - any details would be much appreciated!

Thanks everyone,
    The AO/FO is a very special watch and should not be compared to a ETA 2824-2 fitted Airman.
    The FO features a highly modified Unitas 6497 movement which witnesses craftsmanship, watchmaking tradition, fine arts.
    The movement is modified to have a center sweep seconds hand which needs an extra wheel to be integrated in the movement. The movement is modified to have a ‘stop at 12’ hack feature.

The movement also got a swan neck regulator and is nicely finished with Cotès de Geneve (Geneva stripes), blued screws and perlage.
    The stainless steel case is 41 mm in diameter and 11,8 mm thick (Airman is 40mm).

Furthermore FL 23883 is stamped on the case side.

There is no AR coating as the original would not have had any.

Hi Mike - thanks for the info, really helpful

Thread Information