Airman winding problem

Thread: Airman winding problem

Airman winding problem

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can give a little feedback about a problem I'm having with a relatively new Airman auto. Occasionally, when I wind the watch manually, the crown becomes very difficult to turn, practically locking up. If I continue winding (due to momentum, I certainly wouldn't try to force it on purpose), the winding mechanism seems to feed directly into the rotor - i.e. as the crown is turned, the rotor spins. This is definitely not due to overwinding - last night it happened around turn 10 of the crown after the watch had been stopped for two days. Typically, the problem goes away after wearing the watch (letting the rotor spin enough to disengage from the manual winding mechanism?) and does not resurface for several weeks or a month. Otherwise, everything appears to be running smoothly and the Airman keeps excellent time.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers

Nik

Re: Airman winding problem

Well I never had a 2824 where the rotor spins when wound. Also the "slipclutch" that pretends overwind acts rather early so that I never had a locked up crown. It sounds very wrong to me. I think you should send it back for service or let a trusted watchmaker have a look at it.

i had a prob with one of my eta 2824 watches, when i wound it, even from dead, the rotor would spin and the crown felt stiff, sent it back and it was nothing more than a lubrication prob, the crown was picking up the rotor, got it back and its been 100% since

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you both for your input. I agree that this is not normal behaviour for a 2824 movement.
    I've contacted Stowa (who appear to be on vacation for the next 2 weeks).

Nik
    Last edited by DrNik; August 13th, 2009 at 04:36. Reason: Got automated reply from Stowa

This is sometimes called "windmilling" and no, it is not mormal...

Good luck with getting it fixed,

Cheers
    Clive

?

I have an Oris with a modified 2836 movement; the 2836 is related to the 2824. I experienced the spinning rotor deal with my Oris. I sent it in for service and the watch has been great since. I was told there was some sort of cam or spring that failed. The 'standard' service was to overhaul the movement and since it was under warranty, that was fine with me.

Thread Information