Antea 390 vs. Antea 'black' - what's the difference (besides the face and $300)

Thread: Antea 390 vs. Antea 'black' - what's the difference (besides the face and $300)

Antea 390 vs. Antea 'black' - what's the difference (besides the face and $300)

So I'm looking for my next watch, and I really like the Antea 390. Wish it were a little bigger, maybe around 42mm, but it's a stunning watch. I'm really torn between it and the Marine Original.

While researching the Antea line on the the Stowa website, I came across the Antea black, which seems to be very close in specifications to the Antea 390, but the face color is different, and the Antea 390 is $300 more than the black. Here's the information that I gathered:

Antea 390:
    Case size - 39mm
    Case thickness - 9.2mm
    Case back - sapphire crystal
    Face - white (blued hands)
    Date - yes
    Movement - 2824-2
    Rotor - hand made
    Strap - 20mm leather
    Buckle - deployment
    Price - $726 USD

Antea 'black':
    Case size - 39mm
    Case thickness - 9.1mm
    Case back - sapphire crystal
    Face - black (white hands)
    Date - yes
    Movement - 2824-2
    Rotor - not sure
    Strap - 20mm leather
    Buckle - not sure
    Price - $417

So the only difference I see are the hand made rotor, the deployment clasp, and the different face - do these changes really equal a difference of $300? I feel like I am missing something. Searched a bit on WUS and couldn't find anything.

Honestly, the rotor and the deployment clasp are not important to me, not enough for me to pay an addiotional $300 (1.75X the price of the Antea black). So I'm also wondering if I can get the watch configured like the Antea black, but with the white face and blued hands, for the $417 price, or close to that. I have emailed Stowa with these questions, but was wondering if anyone had any insight in the meantime. I like the black version a lot, but like the white dial just a tad bit more.

I can slip a $450 purchase past the wife, but an $800 purchase isn't as easy!!

Re: Antea 390 vs. Antea 'black' - what's the difference (besides the face and $300)

If you prefer a light face, why don't you choose the ANTEA Creme?

http://www.german-watches.com/cgi-bin/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&wkid=27989&ls=e&nc=124 6221973-28033&rubnum=antea&artnum=anteacremedatum&file=&ge samt_zeilen=Tshowrub--antea

The price of the ANTEA (black or creme) is a political price: In Europe we pay 330,- Euros for such a watch. This is the lowest threshold STOWA could accept.
    It's the cheapest drug to start with collecting STOWA watches......and they all are worth the money you will spend,

Volker

Re: Antea 390 vs. Antea 'black' - what's the difference (besides the face and $300)

Volker is right, your comparitor is the Antea Creme.

IIRC, the differences between the Creme and the 390 are:

Cream (painted?) dial vs. silver-plated dial ($$)
    black hands vs. blued steel hands ($$)
    standard rotor vs. handmade German silver rotor ($$)

No harm in asking Stowa if you can create and price your own "custom" watch (cream dial/blue hands/handmade rotor, for example) but they might be too busy these days to accomodate your "Antea ALC (a la carte)"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the reply.

I have considered the Antea creme, but I see it comes with black hands, and I really like the combination of the blued hands on the bright white face. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I also wonder how creme colored the dial is compared to the dial of the 390's white dial? Also wonder if I could get the blued hands on the creme dial... hmm...

Tough decision - but it all depends on price for me. I just received my Fleiger no logo / no date in May, so I have to be cool about my next purchase since we are house shopping. If prices were equal or very close, I'd go with a white face / blued hands, but the black version is very sharp, and would soon make me forget about the white dial version.

Quote Originally Posted by tee530 View Post
    Volker is right, your comparitor is the Antea Creme.

IIRC, the differences between the Creme and the 390 are:

Cream (painted?) dial vs. silver-plated dial ($$)
    black hands vs. blued steel hands ($$)
    standard rotor vs. handmade German silver rotor ($$)

No harm in asking Stowa if you can create and price your own "custom" watch (cream dial/blue hands/handmade rotor, for example) but they might be too busy these days to accomodate your "Antea ALC (a la carte)"
    Haha, I will definitely try. I didn't realize the face of the 390 was silver coated, I missed that in the description. It looks like a sharp white from the pictures.

So it looks like the choices, for my (hopefully) under $500 purchase are the Antea creme and the Antea black. Wonder if I can get the creme with blued hands? If not I will go with the black - can't go wrong with either choice!

I will let everyone know what I find with my attempt at mixing and matching Antea models. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess!

If you want to have a look at older ones:

http://niffko.com/g2data/gallery2/v/...brainless_001/

Volker

Thread Information