Any idea what this watch is?

Thread: Any idea what this watch is?

Question Any idea what this watch is?

A cheap eBay find.

Can anyone tell me the approximate year and model of this watch?

What was the original band? I would like to replace it with an original band, if it's not TOO expensive.

Is there anywhere near San Diego, CA where I can have it serviced and maybe polished out, or should I just send it to the factory?

I know "value" is very subjective, but any ideas?

I have heard very positive things about Stowa watches, so I think if it is not too expensive I will try to have it refurbished.

Thanks from a newbie to this forum.

Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

stuffler,mike

Re: Any idea what this watch is?

Quote Originally Posted by planetkestrel View Post
    Can anyone tell me the approximate year and model of this watch?
    Late 40ties, early 50ties I guess becuase of the tiny pin lever movement.

What was the original band? I would like to replace it with an original band, if it's not TOO expensive.
    Maybe leather, maybe a Fixoflex which was very common those times.

Is there anywhere near San Diego, CA where I can have it serviced and maybe polished out, or should I just send it to the factory?
    Not sure if sending it back to Stowa is a good idea. Make sure Stowa has parts in stock, which I really doubt. I'd take it to a skilled watchmaker to get it serviced/cleaned.

I know "value" is very subjective, but any ideas?
    Not that much due to the simple movement.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike

Not sure if sending it back to Stowa is a good idea. Make sure Stowa has parts in stock, which I really doubt. I'd take it to a skilled watchmaker to get it serviced/cleaned.
    Dont send old watches in to Stowa.
    i did once and asked for service and adjusting a old pocket watch (unitas movement, late 60s)

They replied, that they dont service old watches at all, becouse they dont have spareparts. Also, a repair service would not suit their business-strategy.

Mr. Schauer told me, that he was still searching for a qualified servicepartner, but hasnt found one who meets his quality demands..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for all the valuable help, Mike.

I guess I didn't pay too much at $26, nor did I get the deal of the century.

I suppose I will take it to our family jeweler and have it cleaned, serviced and polished up a bit and maybe put a new crystal and Fixoflex band on it.

Sounds like I can expect to be out about $100-$150 for the whole watch after all of the above, which is probably worth it for a decent running, wearable every day vintage watch.

It's probably better than wearing a boring Citizen or Seiko, and at least it has a little bit of history.

If the economy were better, I would likely just break down and spring for a new one, but like everyone else, I am gun shy about making any major purchases these days.

Thanks again for your help.

Jack

stuffler,mike

You´re always welcome. BTW: Ebay.de is a good source for vintage Stowa watches

Thread Information