AO vs AA vs Mark XVI

Thread: AO vs AA vs Mark XVI

AO vs AA vs Mark XVI

After purchasing my first "real" watch (Omega 2254.50) I've got hooked on the idea having more than one watch (a dangerous road to take I know), and am thinking of getting a Pilot style watch next. An IWC mark XVI (on a strap) is an obvious choice and has a nice "dressy" quality that would compliment the sportier diver I already have.

Since I am posting in this forum, I've obviously discovered the Stowa brand and the Airman Auto and Airman Orginal present themselves as an interesting alternative to the Mark XVI.

So my main questions are:

1. How "dressy" do folk think the Airman line is when matched with a non Flieger style strap (e.g. a nice black croc)? I realize the Marine line is inherently dressier (and could make it in line for a third watch one day), but for the moment it is the Airman that has my eye and the need for a dressier watch that is my justification for a second watch. This is not to say that it wouldn't see wrist time on the Flieger strap, just that it would have to be able to step up to a suit and tie on occasion.

2. How big do the Airman Auto and Airman Original wear? The IWC has a 39mm diameter, making it smaller than the 40mm of the AA and the 41mm of the current AO (very sad that the 40mm 2801 AO is no longer available). I'm still getting used to the larger style of modern watches and the 41mm of my Omega is right on the limit for me (my wrist size is 6.75" or so), but the 2254 does wear larger than it's 41mm. This does come back to my first question really, in that I think that if I am intending the watch to be my dress watch (for the moment) my guess is that a smaller size will look more understated and classier.

3. Does the Unitas movement in the new AO hack?

I realize that these three watches do have widely different price points, however I'd be looking to pickup a second hand Mark XVI, which would make it more comparable to an AO.

I'm in no rush (otherwise the AO would not be an option ), so just gathering as much information as possible beforehand. I'd love to be able to try a AO or AA on in person (hey anyone in SF with one?) as that would make the whole decision process much easier

Re: AO vs AA vs Mark XVI

Many questions packed in that post! I think the answers depend, in large part, on how you define "dressy." I have been known to wear mine with a suit, but I don't necessarily consider my everyday suits to be "dressy." It's more like my uniform. For going out in the evening, I probably wouldn't wear my Airman. It's just the wrong look, IMHO. (On the other hand, I have been known to wear it to the theater because the lume remains so readable. So maybe I'm arguing against myself. )

As for the size, my wrist is a little larger than yours (7 1/8") but I have no concerns about the Airman Auto being too large. It may look big at first because it has very little bezel and a whole lot of dial, especially since you're coming from a watch that has a lot of bezel area and a smaller dial. But it should fit your wrist just fine, I would think.

FWIW, here's a picture of my Airman Auto on the (decidedly NON-dressy) Stowa old-style riveted strap, WITH A SUIT:

// Rob

Picture Re: AO vs AA vs Mark XVI

The attached images are a comparison of the cases of the MO and Airman. The Marine Original case is the exact dimension of the Airman Original case.

1. Dressy? Your personal style is your guide.

2. You can see the relative differences. The Original case is more robust and certainly provides a larger wrist presence than the Airman Auto.

3. I do not recall if the serial Airman Original hacks or not.

2254.5 is a most excellent diving/sport watch and gets lots of wrist time.

Hope this helps a bit.

Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Airman looks cool on the Stowa Mesh. I have mine on it. It looks suitable for formal occasions.

Kind Regards

Tariq

The mind of man is like a clock that is always running down, and requires to be constantly wound up.

- William Hazlitt

I have a manual-wound 40mm (the 2801 LE from other posts here), dressed up with a dark brown croc strap. I think it works well as a dressy watch.

My wrist is 7" and I wear larger watches quite often, but this one fits comfortably on my wrist.

-Jim

I have the AA, and would highly recommend it. My wrist is slightly smaller than yours, and the 49mm lug-to-lug length seems just right. As much as I like the Unitas in the AO, the wait time and especially the larger size (physical and price tag) made the AA the best choice for me. I've worn the full sized Seamaster and it seemed to fit well, and actually felt smaller than the AA did to me. The IWC is certainly a beautiful watch, but I don't think you'll find a better value than Stowa. Plus, the customer service is top notch. You really can't go wrong with any of the three.

I have the Airman Date -- same case as AA -- and wear it often with suits, even on the aged brown leather aviator strap. Fits my style no problem.

Vs. the AO, the AA is slighty thinner -- about 1.5 mm -- and slightly narrower -- 1mm, which in my view makes it better for dress applications. It easily moves under a buttoned cuff.

Do have the AO on order however. Very much looking forward to a Stowa with a bit more wrist presence...

Quote Originally Posted by dc_in_sf View Post
    After purchasing my first "real" watch (Omega 2254.50) I've got hooked on the idea having more than one watch (a dangerous road to take I know), and am thinking of getting a Pilot style watch next. An IWC mark XVI (on a strap) is an obvious choice and has a nice "dressy" quality that would compliment the sportier diver I already have.

Since I am posting in this forum, I've obviously discovered the Stowa brand and the Airman Auto and Airman Orginal present themselves as an interesting alternative to the Mark XVI.

So my main questions are:

1. How "dressy" do folk think the Airman line is when matched with a non Flieger style strap (e.g. a nice black croc)? I realize the Marine line is inherently dressier (and could make it in line for a third watch one day), but for the moment it is the Airman that has my eye and the need for a dressier watch that is my justification for a second watch. This is not to say that it wouldn't see wrist time on the Flieger strap, just that it would have to be able to step up to a suit and tie on occasion.

2. How big do the Airman Auto and Airman Original wear? The IWC has a 39mm diameter, making it smaller than the 40mm of the AA and the 41mm of the current AO (very sad that the 40mm 2801 AO is no longer available). I'm still getting used to the larger style of modern watches and the 41mm of my Omega is right on the limit for me (my wrist size is 6.75" or so), but the 2254 does wear larger than it's 41mm. This does come back to my first question really, in that I think that if I am intending the watch to be my dress watch (for the moment) my guess is that a smaller size will look more understated and classier.

3. Does the Unitas movement in the new AO hack?

I realize that these three watches do have widely different price points, however I'd be looking to pickup a second hand Mark XVI, which would make it more comparable to an AO.

I'm in no rush (otherwise the AO would not be an option ), so just gathering as much information as possible beforehand. I'd love to be able to try a AO or AA on in person (hey anyone in SF with one?) as that would make the whole decision process much easier

Hi,

personally i think it works both ways. I own a AO LE and recently i `ve changed on to a croc strap. I really like it and in my opinion it is absolutely drsssy.
    Take a look here:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...=4414688&rid=0

Greetings

Frank

Hello all - Just wanted to hi since I'm new to this forum also, but a recent fan of Stowa. And to thank Frank for the gorgeous pictures of his AO. In fact, after seeing his pictures, it's compelled me to put myself on the waiting list. So the countdown begins now...oh the wait!

Thread Information