Beautiful watches, great history, but too fragile?
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ATXWatch
  • 2 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike

Thread: Beautiful watches, great history, but too fragile?

Beautiful watches, great history, but too fragile?

To preface...I have been the owner of 3 Stowa watches for about 4 years. A Flieger A, a Flieger B and a Marine Classic. All of them came to me from Stowa keeping time within COSC standards.

Maybe it is just bad luck, but I have had issues with the Flieger A. A few years ago, I dropped the watch from knee height on a hard floor and it immediately started running erratically. I sent it in to Stowa for full service and it came back to me running as good as new. At the time, the issue was clearly my fault and I accepted the outcome.

But recently, I I bumped into a door frame with my arm while walking through it and despite the watch NOT making direct contact with the door frame, it seems like the shock from my arm stopping mid-swing is causing the same decrease in accuracy it experienced a few years back when it received the floor treatment.

I should say that I really enjoy wearing my Stowas for all sorts of occasions. I also wear my Steinhart OVM and my Rolex 114060 a lot. Both of those watches have received the same kind of shocks my Flieger A did recently and they have remained 100% accurate after. So I am wondering if Stowa Fliegers are generally more fragile for some reason?

As someone with a very active lifestyle that includes kids and dogs, I decided to sell my Flieger B and Marine as they were both running beautifully and I didn't want to baby the watches. I did keep the Flieger A because I could never sell it in the condition it is in currently. Instead, I will send that watch in again and have Stowa do a full service. And when it comes back, I will wear it to the office only on a Horween Cordovan strap so it gets as little exposure to shock as possible.

One great thing about Stowa ownership is that the resale value is fantastic. I didn't get to collect what I originally paid, but not including Ebay and PayPal fees, it probably cost me less than $250 to wear the two watches I sold for 4 years. That is astounding.

Anyone else has experienced this?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Re: Beautiful watches, great history, but too fragile?

I do not think Stowa watches are less shock resistant than any other pilot watch. I have two Stowa an A dial and marine chrono, I dont baby either, and time keeping has been spot on. I would put to bad luck that your watch was effected. The shock resistant of the watch movement will be the same for all brands using the same ETA movement. Some brands market cases with additional shock resistant, like Bremont, it I am not sure how much that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by bjjkk View Post
    I do not think Stowa watches are less shock resistant than any other pilot watch. I have two Stowa an A dial and marine chrono, I dont baby either, and time keeping has been spot on. I would put to bad luck that your watch was effected. The shock resistant of the watch movement will be the same for all brands using the same ETA movement. Some brands market cases with additional shock resistant, like Bremont, it I am not sure how much that helps.
    The next question is...are they less shock resistant than diver watches?

miquel99 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ATXWatch View Post
    The next question is...are they less shock resistant than diver watches?

Of course!! any dive watch have more resistence than normal watch. They need tom pass ISO Standarts about resistence
    Visit my photo album on my profile

Quote Originally Posted by miquel99 View Post
    Of course!! any dive watch have more resistence than normal watch. They need tom pass ISO Standarts about resistence
    In that case, I have no business wearing a flieger outside of the office anymore. Looks like I chose well despite my knowledge gap.

Quote Originally Posted by ATXWatch View Post
    In that case, I have no business wearing a flieger outside of the office anymore. Looks like I chose well despite my knowledge gap.

Not necessarily, Stowa makes a Flieger TESTAF TO1 that has to pass shock tests to meet standards.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Not necesssarily. Shock resistance of wristwatches is defined in DIN (8308) and ISO (1413) norms.

ISO 1413 Horology—Shock-resistant watches defines the minimum requirements and describes the corresponding method of testing. It is intended to allow homologation tests rather than the individual control of all watches of a production batch. It is based on the simulation of the shock received by a watch on falling accidentally from a height of 1 m on to a horizontal hardwood surface.

In practice shock resistance is generally tested by applying two shocks (one on the 9 o'clock side, and one to the crystal and perpendicular to the face). The shock is usually delivered by a hard plastic hammer mounted as a pendulum, so as to deliver a measured amount of energy, specifically, a 3 kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s (This will deliver approximately 30 Joules of energy to the watch). The watch must keep its accuracy to +/- 60 seconds/day as measured before the test.

Own some Stowa and Schauer watches and never had to think about their shock resistance and DIN/ISO. Lucky me.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; 2 Weeks Ago at 18:34.
    miquel99 and harryst like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Stowa makes a Flieger TESTAF TO1
    +1. Very tough and well built watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjjkk View Post
    Not necessarily, Stowa makes a Flieger TESTAF TO1 that has to pass shock tests to meet standards.

There‘s a Stowa Flieger DIN Professional as well, DIN is/was the forward projection of Testsaf. Stowa was actively involved in developing this new standard (DIN 8330) with the work group Flieger DIN, headed by former WUS moderator Crusader.
    miquel99 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Not necesssarily. Shock resistance of wristwatches is defined in DIN (8308) and ISO (1413) norms.

ISO 1413 Horology—Shock-resistant watches defines the minimum requirements and describes the corresponding method of testing. It is intended to allow homologation tests rather than the individual control of all watches of a production batch. It is based on the simulation of the shock received by a watch on falling accidentally from a height of 1 m on to a horizontal hardwood surface.

In practice shock resistance is generally tested by applying two shocks (one on the 9 o'clock side, and one to the crystal and perpendicular to the face). The shock is usually delivered by a hard plastic hammer mounted as a pendulum, so as to deliver a measured amount of energy, specifically, a 3 kg hammer with an impact velocity of 4.43 m/s (This will deliver approximately 30 Joules of energy to the watch). The watch must keep its accuracy to +/- 60 seconds/day as measured before the test.

Own some Stowa and Schauer watches and never had to think about their shock resistance and DIN/ISO. Lucky me.
    Wow. Thanks for that precise info on shock resistance testing. I guess by that standard, my watch is still within the guidelines. I think it was consistently within +-5secs and is now at +-15 but getting worse from what I can tell. When this happened the last time, I think a part in the movement was broken that caused the same deterioration over time.

Thread Information