For Canadian Purchasers of Stowa Watches
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: For Canadian Purchasers of Stowa Watches

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

For Canadian Purchasers of Stowa Watches

Apparently, Canada Customs rules changed in some fashion in September, 2008. I'm sorry that I can't be more specific about what changed, but my FO arrived at Fed Ex today in Edmonton, and I received a call from Fed Ex advising that the package was ready to be cleared by my independent customs broker.

When I spoke to a Fed Ex agent, I advised him that a previous watch had been cleared by Fed Ex and all I was required to do was to pay the duty which I did at point of delivery. This agent couldn't explain what had changed, but that over a certain value, brokerage is now required.

This will not be very helpful in that I can't explain what the change is or what to do about it, but if it happens to you, at least you will know that its happened to someone else.

So I guess its more of a "heads up". Will post again when issue resolved. Cheers, John
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

Re: For Canadian Purchasers of Stowa Watches

Update: it seems that a Customs Broker is required. This is not acceptable. Watch is going back to Stowa. My loss is someone else's gain, I suppose in that somebody else will get my watch. It does, however, mean that I will not be purchasing any more new Stowas, nor will I be using Fed Ex in future.
    Last edited by redbike; November 12th, 2008 at 17:27.
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde

Montreal, Canada. Land of Captain Canuck!

Aren't Fedex the customs broker themselves, in those cases?

In the past, that's how it was. And they charged $25 plus tax for the act of "brokering".

IMHO, they got away with screwing the customer, since they have the customer's merchandise hostage.

My local comic books shop, which sells old and collectible comics on eBay, have had crazy dealings with UPS and Fedex. They bend rules and exports laws as see fit as long as it's a win-win for them.

Avant l’heure ce n’est pas l’heure; après l’heure ce n’est plus l’heure

Since 1999 and my first Omega Seamaster Bond, I've had dozens of watches.
    Permanent collection today: Rolex Submariner, Tudor Black Bay & Black Bay Heritage
    Omega Planet Ocean &
    Speedmaster Sapphire, Weiss 38mm Standard Issue Auto & Hand Wound
    Tissot T-Touch II, Baron Mauer Calaway , Casio G-Shock 35th Metal
    my feedback

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have always refused to pay in the past and still received my parcel. Not sure what happened to the brokerage fee though; I think it was charged back to the sender.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmeister View Post
    I have always refused to pay in the past and still received my parcel. Not sure what happened to the brokerage fee though; I think it was charged back to the sender.

Permanent collection today: Rolex Submariner, Tudor Black Bay & Black Bay Heritage
    Omega Planet Ocean &
    my feedback

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by redbike View Post
    Update: it seems that a Customs Broker is required. This is not acceptable. Watch is going back to Stowa. My loss is someone else's gain, I suppose in that somebody else will get my watch. It does, however, mean that I will not be purchasing any more Stowas, nor will I be using Fed Ex in Future. So long.
    That sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmeister View Post
    How did you manage this? In the past, I would try and argue about not paying the fees, and always it would end with them menacing me to send the package back.

How can you have your package and NOT pay the fee? Did they bill you afterward so you were able to refuse payment? I heard they send your bill to collection agencies ....

Omega Planet Ocean &
    my feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Xaltotun View Post
    Aren't Fedex the customs broker themselves, in those cases?

In the past, that's how it was. And they charged $25 plus tax for the act of "brokering".

IMHO, they got away with screwing the customer, since they have the customer's merchandise hostage.

It must have been the case, because I have never had this difficulty in all of my years of purchasing all manner of goods from abroad.
    Last edited by redbike; November 10th, 2008 at 22:41.

*EDIT* I looked back and it turns out I 'only' paid duty, GST and PST in the past, which still worked out to a massive 18%. With brokerage fees added I can only imagine the cost. I have one of the new Flieger handwinding limited watches on order, and was considering getting on the list for a serial FO, but I'd better give it some more thought. The price of the FO is already tough for me to justify (not that it isn't worth the money... it's just more than I have ever considered spending on a single watch). Convert the price to Canadian, add 18%, then add another unknown amount for brokerage... yikes!
    Last edited by Bishamon; November 10th, 2008 at 20:42.

Cool Re: For Canadian Purchasers of Stowa Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Bishamon View Post
    *EDIT* I looked back and it turns out I 'only' paid duty, GST and PST in the past, which still worked out to a massive 18%. With brokerage fees added I can only imagine the cost. I have one of the new Flieger handwinding limited watches on order, and was considering getting on the list for a serial FO, but I'd better give it some more thought. The price of the FO is already tough for me to justify (not that it isn't worth the money... it's just more than I have ever considered spending on a single watch). Convert the price to Canadian, add 18%, then add another unknown amount for brokerage... yikes!
    Exactly what I paid for my MO: duty and GST - we don't have any provincial sales tax in AB . That was manageable. But to have to pay brokerage, plus GST on that amount doesn't work for me, and is not what I contracted for. Fed Ex also wanted me to come out to the airport to collect the watch. 60 km round trip, plus gas. What the #### did I pay Fed Ex for? No go!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information