Can't decide -- Flieger Klassik vs Ikarus
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Can't decide -- Flieger Klassik vs Ikarus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First time poster seeking advice on first real watch purchase. Basically, I've been looking to buy a nice watch for almost a year now. Eventually I came to find the Stowa brand and as I've searched and shopped these two watches are the ones that I keep coming back to. I just love the aesthetics of both.

Anyway, what I want is a really nice and versatile watch that I can wear in a variety of settings -- e.g. work, casual, travel. I already have an Apple Watch, which I wear all the time now. The Stowa I purchase will hopefully replace the Apple Watch for everything but fitness and super casual/athletic wear. BUT, I can't decide which one to get.

They only real difference between the two is aesthetic, so it's not like one is qualitatively better than the other. What I really want is advice on which is the more versatile of the two. Or just general arguments in favor of one over the other by each watch's owners.

This will be my primary watch going forward. Hopefully I'll get another watch at some point, but I'm not buying this one with others in mind. For that reason, the Klassik seems most practical because it's black and very straight-forward. It's not a niche watch or a niche color. I can wear mix and match bands to suit pretty much any outfit or setting. It's just practical and versatile in every way imo.

The Ikarus on the other hand, being gray, is a bit flashier, a bit less straight-forward. Maybe it won't match every outfit or setting. But man do I love how it looks, especially with a tan strap and the blue hands. I wear a ton of blue both at work and when I'm out socially. I think it's a watch that draws a little more attention, has more character perhaps. That's part of what's appealing about it, but also part of what makes it a bit less versatile.

So, as you can see, I'm stuck. For people who wear a lot of watch, or who have worn just a few watches for a long time, what are your thoughts? I'm new to the watch game. I want this purchase to be perfect. Could use any and all suggestions from those who would be so kind as to provide their thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Can't decide -- Flieger Klassik vs Ikarus

Be aware of the answer you already got........................................by yourself:
    But man do I love how it looks..
    It is the IKARUS you really want to get, isn't it?!
    For me too it was the first STOWA I purchased, many years ago. A wonderful watch, you will be happy,

Volker
    omeglycine and Horoticus like this.

If follow your heart it seems u set on ikarus, but if for practicality, I think flieger Klassik is more versatile.

Go either way won't wrong as it's just a matter of which one first. Usually stowa owner don't stop at one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You can’t go wrong with either watch. I do agree that the flieger classik is more versatile due to its dial color. I have a classik, but still see myself picking up the Ikarus as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with Volker; it sounds like the Ikarus is the one you really want, and as such, should be the one you buy. Having owned both, I find them equally versatile, but enjoy the Ikarus just a touch more. Both are great options.

I love both, I own the Classic but I find the Ikarus really tempting and unique... and now I'm also falling in love for the Verus... I want the trifecta!

It’s hard to put my finger on why I find the Ikarus the more interesting watch, but I do. I think it has a more pleasing colour palette and I like the contrast of the black rimmed hands against the grey dial.

I have had the exact same dilemma.. I think I am going with the Ikarus, but have not committed yet. I love the unique grey dial with the blued hands, and I don’t think there is really anything close to compare it to.

Either way going to be a great decision. Please update the thread with your choice! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The klassik is probably more versatile but the Ikarus is no slouch. Buy what you'd like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks so much to all of you who have taken the time to respond! Greatly appreciate it.

I'm kind of surprised that there's so much love for the Ikarus. Honestly, I kind of expected to come here and have everyone tell me the Klassik is the watch to have, especially given its versatility, and that would've sold it for me. It's also the safe purchase, and that's important because, well, it's not a cheap watch.

The Ikarus is certainly appealing. The one thing I keep coming back to in my head is travel. I travel a good bit. For me, the Ikarus is a fashionable, stylish wristwatch. It strikes me as more of a specialty watch, as opposed to a daily grinder. Am I wrong?

The Klassik, while fashionable in its own right, is more of a grinder, but one that can be dressed up (or down) to fit any situation. It works in the developing world and the developed world, whereas the Ikarus might be a little too fashionable and in some ways showy for some of my off-the-beaten path travels. Despite all the Ikarus love, this thread has actually probably steered me towards the Klassik, in large part because I now realize just how much I value versatility over style. But I do love the look of the Ikarus. :)

Wish I could see and compare them both side by side. I called Stowa a couple months ago and inquired about going to the factory to buy the watch. Was hoping I could go there and compare watches, including different sizes, before purchasing, but they requested I place an order early to give them time to manufacture my piece. Bummer.
    hidden830726 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information