Which Chrono, need some feedback

View Poll Results: Which Stowa Chronograph to buy?

Voters
7. This poll is closed
  • Stowa 1938 black face chronograph

2 28.57%
  • Stowa Marine Klassic Chrono

5 71.43%
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Which Chrono, need some feedback

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which Chrono, need some feedback

First time in the Stowa forum, hopefully I can get some feedback from some current Stowa owners. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a chrono and have decided it'll be a Stowa. I've reached the point in my watch purchasing career where I'm doing fewer impulse buys and trying to stick to nicer watches that I'll keep long term. Right now I've narrowed it to the 1938 chronograph or the marine classic chrono. Most here know what they look like, but the two side by side are below. Going to go all out, hand wind movement, croc strap, and delete the date. Problem is, I can't for the life of me decide between the two. Plan is to use this mostly for work with the possibility to dress it up or down depending on what I'm doing. Probably have both a brown and black strap for whatever I end up with. Both would fit that bill. Any thoughts from those that own one or the other, or both? I can make a whole list of why to go with one or the other but am very torn right now.

Name:  4-5-2019 8-19-21 AM.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  34.2 KBName:  4-5-2019 8-20-05 AM.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  31.5 KB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Which Chrono, need some feedback

For what it‘s worth I own both 1938 chronographs

Name:  4C046E2C-98D1-4802-8390-9F56E8291217.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  617F18D7-182B-47E7-8134-FC1F48D0C9E1.jpeg
Views: 100
Size:  50.5 KB

The Marine chrono is a tad more flashy and sporty and the blue hands are just gorgeous.

Name:  8A15CF4D-92D4-4E89-B350-4C786F1B252A.jpeg
Views: 101
Size:  189.2 KB
    Fikk and miquel99 like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

With these two yoou could just about flip a coin however the white one would probably have more presence on wrist, and look bigger too. My preference would be neither of these but instead this one...

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk
    miquel99, Revan1 and montydrei like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I did take a look at that one but have never liked gold on my watches anywhere. For the white face I'd definitely go for the marine classic. I do think the white face would go better with a brown or black strap, but I like how understated the black face chrono is.

Mike, of the two of your chronos, is there one you tend to prefer? Or one you use for some things and one the other? Obviously you're a fan if you have two of them. One thing that might sway me too is I think the 1938 still has the older Stowa logo on the face, which I like for the history. Probably going to have to flip a coin in the end.

Interesting comment on the wrist presence, I hadn't considered that. My wrists are about 8" around, so on the larger side. Might be something to consider as well, since the marine classic can come in a 43mm case instead of a 41mm.

One thing muddying the waters as well is I can get an insanely good deal on a Longines Master Collection Chrono right now, probably talking about half the cost of one of these. Really nice looking watch, but a bit thicker. Probably crazy not to jump on it, but I'm still torn.

The no date is my favorite 1938.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

So the white one, good to know. I think I'm leaning toward the marine chrono, seems to have a bit more zing to it. I e-mailed Stowa to see if I can get it with a brown croc strap, only the black one shows up as an option on the website. Doesnt' hurt that it's 50 euro cheaper too. Talk about first world problems....
    Slm643 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ofted42 View Post
    So the white one, good to know. I think I'm leaning toward the marine chrono, seems to have a bit more zing to it. I e-mailed Stowa to see if I can get it with a brown croc strap, only the black one shows up as an option on the website. Doesnt' hurt that it's 50 euro cheaper too. Talk about first world problems....
    Mine is not white, first generation was creme.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Sorry, should have said "lighter colored one". Seems to be a bit more versatile. More pondering to do, if anyone else has feedback in general I'm all ears.

The marine Chrono is my favourite Chrono so far. Having owned a few chronos nothing comes close to the silver dial, blued hands, remarkable design & finishing of the case and versatility of the valjoux movement. The current price is a steal.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iceman767; 1 Week Ago at 09:26.
    stuffler,mike and jarlleif like this.
    A wise man once said don't invest all your fortunes in wrist watches. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Stowa Marine Chronograph ||
    Flieger Klassik 6498 small second || Vacheron Constantin Jubilee 1755 || IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-38 || IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01 ||IWC Vintage Ingenieur Automatic -IW323310 || IWC Ingenieur 3239-01 ||IWC Spitfire Mark XVI IW325502 ||Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor DNS ||Oris divers 65 ||Squale Pan Am GMT || Borealis Bull Shark|| Ginault Ocean-Rover || Orient Bambino ||

I have always admired Longiness and had to make a similar choice between Stowa and Longiness. In the end I went with Stowa. I went into the Longiness store after my purchase to compare the watches. The stowa dial, heat blued hands and dial beats the longiness hands down IMHO. I have never regretted my purchase. Jaeger Le Coultre Memovox silver dial is a watch I have always compared to the Stowa Marine Chrono.
    Oddly enough they are two distinct watches but with similar case sizes, finishes & silver dials.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by iceman767; 1 Week Ago at 17:04.
    miquel99 likes this.
    A wise man once said don't invest all your fortunes in wrist watches. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Stowa Marine Chronograph ||
    Flieger Klassik 6498 small second || Vacheron Constantin Jubilee 1755 || IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-38 || IWC Portuguese Chronograph 3714-01 ||IWC Vintage Ingenieur Automatic -IW323310 || IWC Ingenieur 3239-01 ||IWC Spitfire Mark XVI IW325502 ||Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Compressor DNS ||Oris divers 65 ||Squale Pan Am GMT || Borealis Bull Shark|| Ginault Ocean-Rover || Orient Bambino ||

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information