chronometre or standard eta?

Thread: chronometre or standard eta?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

chronometre or standard eta?

Hi Guys - how many of you went for the chronometre option when buying your Stowa? Is the extra 200euros worth it? Is it that much more accurate, reliable, better finished etc etc?

I have a Breitling with a chronometre 2824 & an early non chronometred 2824 - the latter keeps better time & is 10years old unserviced!

all opinions appreciated

si

Re: chronometre or standard eta?

I bought the chronometer movement for my Airman and the difference is that it runs about +2-3 as opposed to the +10-15 (unregulated) for the others we have with the standard movement. I'd say it's worth it to me.
    Cheers,
    Bruce
    Wear what you like.

My Stowa Airman with an ETA 2801-2 is running +2 sec a day.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

redstart

Quote Originally Posted by Simon
    Hi Guys - how many of you went for the chronometre option when buying your Stowa? Is the extra 200euros worth it? Is it that much more accurate, reliable, better finished etc etc?

I have a Breitling with a chronometre 2824 & an early non chronometred 2824 - the latter keeps better time & is 10years old unserviced!

all opinions appreciated

si
    Both of my Stowas have the chronometer movement. I'm not persuaded that they consistently run more accurately than a non-chronometer movement from Stowa. Some say the chronometer movement and certificate will bring a better return when you sell the watch, but how could I ever sell either of my Stowas? For me, it was more of "the watch deserves the very best," so I chose that option. Also, both of my watches have the exhibition back, and the higher level of finish on the chronomètre version of the ETA 2824 is visually more appealing.

For me the price difference is not worth it, not that the Stowa upgrade charge is excessive though...I have seen other brands such as Schaumburg have a $600 up charge on the Aquamatic.

If you are getting the top movement class below the chronometer which I am almost positive Stowa uses, any competent Watch guy should be able to easily regulate the watch to chronometer specs. It may not even be necessary though as the Stowa Antea I purchased consistently runs at +3 secs a day which is well within the Chronometer specs. Also, at some point even the Chronometer movement will need to be regulated as time passes by.

The other reasons I think people get Chronometers is so it says it on the Dial, which for some is a prestige thing and that the movement has a little nicer decoration. Since Stowa does not mark the Dial or Case with "Chronometer", the only other reason I can see to get that grade is if you really wanted the highest decoration on the movement.

It really is a personal choice though...but IMHO the extra $$$ is not worth it.

Neither Stowa I have is chronometer certified, but both run within chronometer specs. I think the difference is that with the certificate you have a right to expect a level of accuracy, whereas without it's a little more luck of the draw.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

I agree to a word with bleddrewsoe's take on it.
    My Antea, if anything, might be a hair closer to spot on than his at +3.
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Hi Simon,

This isn´t the first time cosc certified movements (!) are discussed here on WUS, the decision to go for a COSC certified movement or not comes near to a very personal decision.

Here´s a re-post of what my point of view is:

COSC:
    A chronometer is a high-precision watch capable of displaying the seconds and housing a movement that has been tested over several days, in different positions and at different temperatures, by an official neutral body (COSC).

Each chronometer is unique, identified by a number engraved on its movement and a certification number given by the COSC.

Each movement is individually tested for several consecutive days, in 5 positions and at 3 temperatures.

Each movement is individually measured. Any watch with the denomination "chronometer" is provided with a certified movement.

For more info: COSC FAQ at www.cosc.ch

One of the essential questions is (question and answer taken from COSC site):How long is a chronometer title valid ?

The title of chronometer can be compared to a diploma from a specialized school. At a given time of his life, a candidate has proven, thanks to an exam, that he had met with the performances criteria providing him with that title.
    In the same way as for a graduate, this title has been granted to him for his entire life, although his performances may slightly get altered within the years.

It´s up to you to decide wether to go with a COSC certificate or not. I do own some watches with COSC (Breitling, Rolex) but I couldn´t find the gain/loss of a non COSC certificated movement (e.g.: Damasko, Sinn, Stowa Seatime, Airman) that disturbing to go for COSC certificated watches only.

I am happy with the accuracy of my Stowa watches without any certificate.

Stowa adjusts their watches so timing is usually within COSC standards even if you go with a regular movement. The COSC movement appears to have a better finish and comes with blue screws so if you like admiring your movement, the COSC one will look nicer. Is it worth the extra 200euro or so? Hard to tell. It will help resale value if you decide to sell it down the road. if you have the extra funds available and want to get all the bells and whistles, then buy a Stowa with a COSC movement but if you are on a budget, you really do not need it.

Either way, Jorg makes some nice watches :gold

Thumbs Up Re: chronometre or standard eta?

I completely agree with you, orangehole

Joern
    Even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information