Comfort of Stowa Seatime & Airman

Thread: Comfort of Stowa Seatime & Airman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Off Topic post Comfort of Stowa Seatime & Airman

Hello everyone.

I'm debating between the following watches: 1.) Stowa Airman, 2.) Stowa Seatime.

I was wondering Stowa owners of both these watches could break down the two in terms of comfort, weight, etc.

What is the weight of the two in grams? Judging by the pictures it seems as if the Stowa Airman is undoubtedly larger and heavier.

On the Seatime, or the Airman....does the crown "nudge" into the hand.....I've had that problem before with my watches, and have a "bruise" or "mark" where the crown pushes against the skin.

I love both of the looks, although I'm leaning towards the Seatime, mainly because it "stands" out more, and I'm used to thicker watches. Both look excellent, but there's just something about the Airman I really like....it looks very classy.

Does it make a difference in "comfort" with the regular crown compared to the onion crown?

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? It seems that both have excellent reviews.

Is there any, one person here in the forums that own both watches, and could maybe post some pics of both of them side by side in different angles? that would help.

I've been reading also that on the Airman there is a domed crystal.....if someone wouldn't mind taking a picture of the domed crystal that would be great.

I like the Airman as well, but I just want to make sure it "feels substantial" and is not too light. Any help is greatly appreciated! Much thanks!

Re: Comfort of Stowa Seatime & Airman

I don't know about the Airman, but the Seatime is pretty hefty. I would be very surprised, if the Airman was heavier.

I wear my watches above the bone, so for this and all my other watches, the crown(s) have been no problem. The Seatime does have an interchangeable bezel, which is a cool feature.

Really two different types of watches, but you can't go wrong with anything Stowa.
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

I can only reply to several of your issues because I only have an airman. My watch has the onion crown and the Stowa airman's strap. Even without the strap overly tight, it never slides into my hand. My Tutima's crown often digs into the back of my hand, which is a drawback, but not the Stowa.

I don't have a scale in grams, but on my postal scale the watch weighs about three ounces. It really does feel substantial though. At 40mm it looks it is about as big a watch as I'll want. Too me it looks a bit bigger than it's actual size.

As for the crystal, if there is a curve to it, I can't detect it. It appears flat to me.

I love the watch and am wearing it quite a bit more than my Tutima or my 1962 Longines. It is really comfortable and I love the way it looks. The lume is also terrific.

Overall, I couldn't be any happier with this watch.

JonathanA

Quote Originally Posted by tahb View Post
    Hello everyone.

I'm debating between the following watches: 1.) Stowa Airman, 2.) Stowa Seatime.

I was wondering Stowa owners of both these watches could break down the two in terms of comfort, weight, etc.

What is the weight of the two in grams? Judging by the pictures it seems as if the Stowa Airman is undoubtedly larger and heavier.

On the Seatime, or the Airman....does the crown "nudge" into the hand.....I've had that problem before with my watches, and have a "bruise" or "mark" where the crown pushes against the skin.

I love both of the looks, although I'm leaning towards the Seatime, mainly because it "stands" out more, and I'm used to thicker watches. Both look excellent, but there's just something about the Airman I really like....it looks very classy.

Does it make a difference in "comfort" with the regular crown compared to the onion crown?

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations? It seems that both have excellent reviews.

Is there any, one person here in the forums that own both watches, and could maybe post some pics of both of them side by side in different angles? that would help.

I've been reading also that on the Airman there is a domed crystal.....if someone wouldn't mind taking a picture of the domed crystal that would be great.

I like the Airman as well, but I just want to make sure it "feels substantial" and is not too light. Any help is greatly appreciated! Much thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Picture Re: Comfort of Stowa Seatime & Airman

Hello everyone.

The Seatime and Airman have little in common except they are from Stowa and have the same movement in them.

The watch face crystal on the Airman has a very slight/subtle dome to it - quite nice, actually. The dome is so slight that I am not sure I can adequately capture it with my point and shoot camera. The crystal is domed enough that you know it is not flat.

As far as weight is concerned - they are very different animals...I do, however, have a Prodiver (slightly heavier) it weighs in at 215 grams ~ 7.7 ounces. The Airman weighs 69 grams ~ 2.4 ounces. The Seatime/Prodiver diver watch is very substantial; as substantial as any diver currently manufactured.

What will happen if you are not careful, and it still might even if you are...you will end up with both watches.

I'll see about getting a side-by-side image posted this weekend for your review.

Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by inlanding; July 4th, 2009 at 06:11.

I have both the Airman and the Seatime. In my opinion, they are totally different kinds of watches for different types of wear.
    The Airman is a pilot's type watch: it is very close to being a kind of a dress watch (although the Stowa Antea that I have with creme dial is really the dress watch.) It has a very clean, simple dial and the hands are lumed and have blued edges that catch the sun and shimmer. I have it on a Toshi strap and it fits the casual look. The lume of the Stowa Airman is outstanding and all the numbers stand out clearly. Mine is also super accurate.
    The Stowa Seatime (on my wrist as I write this) is definitely a much heavier looking watch. Looks like a tool watch. The bracelet makes it a big presence on the wrist. I have a smaller wrist so I put it on a mesh bracelet which takes away some of the "hugeness" of the watch. I have the black dial/black bezel and find it quite attractive....in fact, more "dressy" than a normal dive watch such as an Ocean 7 or Marathon Sar.
    The main difference for me is that the Airman is more "subtle" and the Seatime more a "bold statement."
    I wish I could do the pictures but am not quite ready to post. I am sure someone soon will show them side by side.
    In the end, I feel like I must have BOTH of them. However, if I had to choose only one, I think the Seatime is closer to the best of both worlds...for me.

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?
    I've been around the forums long enough to know the boilerplate answer that I see in every thread like this one:

Buy both!

They're very different watches that have their own merits. :)

Can't believe I forgot to post pics in my earlier note. So unlike me.

Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Silas View Post
    I have both the Airman and the Seatime. In my opinion, they are totally different kinds of watches for different types of wear.
    The Airman is a pilot's type watch: it is very close to being a kind of a dress watch (although the Stowa Antea that I have with creme dial is really the dress watch.) It has a very clean, simple dial and the hands are lumed and have blued edges that catch the sun and shimmer. I have it on a Toshi strap and it fits the casual look. The lume of the Stowa Airman is outstanding and all the numbers stand out clearly. Mine is also super accurate.
    The Stowa Seatime (on my wrist as I write this) is definitely a much heavier looking watch. Looks like a tool watch. The bracelet makes it a big presence on the wrist. I have a smaller wrist so I put it on a mesh bracelet which takes away some of the "hugeness" of the watch. I have the black dial/black bezel and find it quite attractive....in fact, more "dressy" than a normal dive watch such as an Ocean 7 or Marathon Sar.
    The main difference for me is that the Airman is more "subtle" and the Seatime more a "bold statement."
    I wish I could do the pictures but am not quite ready to post. I am sure someone soon will show them side by side.
    In the end, I feel like I must have BOTH of them. However, if I had to choose only one, I think the Seatime is closer to the best of both worlds...for me.
    I own both too because of them being different. The Seatime is the "biggie" which I don`t wear with sleeves let alone with cufflinks, the Flieger does fit with sleeves and cufflinks as well.

thank you everyone for all your help! now my problem is, (because they are so different watches, and I love both of them, which one to get? Some of you have said "get both watches!" wish I could, but I can't at this point in time. Still don't know which one to purchase.....perhaps I should flip a coin. but knowing me, I'll probably end up getting both when I can afford in future. if they were the same style of watch, I don't think I'd have such a tough decision!

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Hi, I have the Airman and the Pro Diver. The Pro diver is in the same family as the Seatime and I would describe the fit this way. The Pro Diver or Seatime are heftier bulkier watches that give the sense of more weight than the Airman. The Airman (mine is still in the box) feels more and fits more like a regular dress watch although it is not that . The Airman case is not as thick and you do not sense the weight of it as much. It is still a big watch but has a different feel. I enjoy both of them. Stephen

https://www.instagram.com/whichwatchsk/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information