To crocodile or not to crocodile?
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: To crocodile or not to crocodile?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

To crocodile or not to crocodile?

I am just about to push the button on a Marine Classic 40 as my future wife's wedding present to me. I'm looking for a watch that can be a bit more formal than dive and tool watches (though part of the appeal of the Marine is that I think it could be dressed down nicely, too. I've seen some nice pictures of it on NATOs, too.)

However... I've only really worn bracelets or rubber straps before. I found myself wondering whether I should be trying to get a crocodile strap? I like the look of the texture, but I'm struggling to envision what it actually looks like. Would that be the more formal choice? Is it worth the difference? (It seems expensive compared to a new bracelet, but I guess they don't have to farm those).

And on a bit of a tangent, does anyone know what size/type of springbar is used on the Marine Classic? I have a bit of a thing for making sure I have spare parts...

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: To crocodile or not to crocodile?

I‘ve got five croc straps on my Stowa/Schauer watches. Grey on black 1938, Antea, Flieger Klassik, , dark brown on Schauer Kulisse, light brown on creme 1938. comfortable to wear and, as far as the Schauer and 1938 chronos are concerned, adding to their classic character.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I just ordered a light brown croc strap for my Tourby Marine 40--a very similar-looking watch. Can't wait to see it!

I believe the lug size on the Stowa is 20mm.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are talking about the Marine Classic white dial with Arabic numerals, correct?

I don’t have my Stowa Marine on a croc strap but here’s an IWC Portugieser with a white dial that is very similar to a Stowa MO. If you ignore the small seconds, it might give you a good idea of what the Marine Classic would look like with a black croc. It is a bit more formal IMO, but sets off the white dial nicely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    wkw likes this.

I've really tried to like crocks. But, IMHO, I prefer a highly finished, solid slightly padded leather with stitching matching the leather.

Here's a shot of my Marine Original on a cognac crocodile strap. However, I currently have it on a chocolate bison strap. I've also used a black perlon strap with it. Really, there's hardly a strap choice that does not compliment this watch.

Name:  20180224_131905.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  2.37 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by P. Ortiz; December 19th, 2018 at 23:41.
    Vetinari67 likes this.

G07

Navy croc/gator strap looks fantastic on Marine Classic 40 mm ...!!

Lug width is 20 mm.

Quote Originally Posted by P. Ortiz View Post
    Here's a shot of my Marine Original on a cognac crocodile strap. However, I currently have it on a chocolate bison strap. I've also used a black person strap with it. Really, there's hardly a strap choice that does not compliment this watch.
    Man, autofill is going to get you in trouble, perlon is one of those trouble words .

The watch is gorgeous, BTW.

I like the croc look very much, but my wrists perspire freely enough to stop me from wearing such expensive bands. I compromised by going with a Hirsch Andy - gator embossed leather on channeled rubber, wears year round.

Name:  IMG_1787.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  103.7 KB
    Last edited by whineboy; December 19th, 2018 at 21:38.
    Vetinari67 and TheWhiteRabbit like this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Dre

I'd agree with the sentiment that a croc strap dresses the watch up a bit. I have a lighter brown one for my MO Roman. In fact I haven't worn this combination in a while. I've got a strap swap to do tonight!

whineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    Man, autofill is going to get you in trouble, perlon is one of those trouble words .

The watch is gorgeous, BTW.

I like the croc look very much, but my wrists perspire freely enough to stop me from wearing such expensive bands. I compromised by going with a Hirsch Andy - gator embossed leather on channeled rubber, wears year round.
    Yeah...that darned auto-fill. I'll be making an edit very soon. BTW; if you perspire with the croc strap, you might enjoy one made of person. Uh...I mean PERLON! There I go again.
    whineboy and Sebast975 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information