Customs to Canada? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Customs to Canada?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Customs to Canada?

A good trick I learned from a friend at Canada post is to time your expensive overseas purchases around Mid December. Customs becomes overwhelmed by sheer volume and your chances of getting lucky are much higher. It’s worked for me three times already but you have to be patient.
    Explorer23 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Schoenzy View Post
    A good trick I learned from a friend at Canada post is to time your expensive overseas purchases around Mid December. Customs becomes overwhelmed by sheer volume and your chances of getting lucky are much higher. It’s worked for me three times already but you have to be patient.
    Having had a few parcels go missing via post around holidays, I'm personally a bit wary of that idea...

According to the tracking number, one made it to some warehouse before it stopped and never made it any further. That was 3 years ago. Probably fell on the floor and accidentally got kicked into a corner or something. $20 ebay purchase of some cheap Chinese part, so no big loss luckily.

The next year, another package, this time from the U.S., somehow managed to go all the way over to Taiwan (at least according to the stamps on the parcel) before making its way over to Canada... with the tracking stuck at "left the U.S. and on its way to Canada". I had all but given up on it, when it mysteriously showed up 2 months later. That one was a couple of watch straps. :)

Always best to plan for the customs charge, and then be happily surprised if it doesn't apply.

Customs to Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by bbjai View Post
    No it's not a one off but it just depends if customs gets you. Sometimes you just get lucky that's all.
    Sometimes you think you got lucky and then the courier sends you an invoice a month later.

I factor in 25% in my planning for tax & duties and never surprised that way.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ALEXO View Post
    Billed at delivery. You can pay in advance with Fedex on the phone, but I would advice against this: the driver who delivered my watch hinted that it could lead to things being left on doorsteps. Not sure how likely this is though.
    Yes. This.

You pay in advance and they just drop it and run. No knock, no door bell. Even if it had to be signed for... mine will say signed for by “F. DOOR”

Taxes but no duty.
    Very good communication from Stowa throughout.
    They left it on my front porch which was a bit frightening.
    redhed18 likes this.

Update from my end... I ended up finding one through the classifieds! Great price and was like new... The blue hands are beautiful. Actually wished it was slightly bigger (41mm-42mm) but all good. Now just unsure if I should keep my Hamilton Khaki Mechanical handwinder... similar watches but also somewhat different. Decisions decisions..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information