Customs to Canada?
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Customs to Canada?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    58

    Customs to Canada?

    Hi all,

    There were a couple similar threads earlier but they were a few years ago and wanted to ask for those who ordered from Stowa and live in Canada, how bad were the customs?

    I'm looking at the Flieger Klassik 40, which is around 800 euro ($1200 cad). I love the IWC Pilot but at $5000+, i just can't see myself paying that much extra! Would rather put that saved money towards an Omega/Rolex, and I love the lume on the Stowa as well as the blue hands.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by Explorer23 View Post
    Hi all,

    There were a couple similar threads earlier but they were a few years ago and wanted to ask for those who ordered from Stowa and live in Canada, how bad were the customs?

    I'm looking at the Flieger Klassik 40, which is around 800 euro ($1200 cad). I love the IWC Pilot but at $5000+, i just can't see myself paying that much extra! Would rather put that saved money towards an Omega/Rolex, and I love the lume on the Stowa as well as the blue hands.

    Thanks!
    My last watch was a Flieger Verus Sport at about $1500 Canadian, ordered in December 2018. I paid a total about $189 in total taxes and duties when it arrived the same month from Fedex.
    Explorer23 likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    89

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    I bought the flieger 40 but conversion and PayPal fees came up to $1300. Also I asked them to ship with DHL and I didn't get hit. DHL has a lower service charge than FedEx. I think for a watch at this price the taxes and service charge would of been 125 to 150 with DHL. But because DHL ships from there and then goes through Canada Post you might get lucky.
    Explorer23 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    I love my Stowa watches and they were my first choice picks for watches (even though the IWC was an option). I love minimalism and well thought-out design and much of the logos and prattle on watch faces bother me considerably, but IWC has great design overall. I would say if your heart is set on an IWC, wait for a used one to come up. That being said, I'm glad I found Stowa. Right now, I'm eagerly awaiting a Flieger Classic Chrono with recorded hours on it (to use for gliding), but I may never get my wish....

  6. #5
    Member djcoronel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    216

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    do you ever have to pay right there on the spot at the time of delivery, or is the tax billed later?
    IWC Portuguese Chronograph
    Glashütte Original Senator Automatic
    Montblanc Heritage Moonphase

    Stowa Marine Klassik
    Stowa Partitio


  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    89

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by djcoronel View Post
    do you ever have to pay right there on the spot at the time of delivery, or is the tax billed later?
    on the spot when they deliver

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    7

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by djcoronel View Post
    do you ever have to pay right there on the spot at the time of delivery, or is the tax billed later?
    Billed at delivery. You can pay in advance with Fedex on the phone, but I would advice against this: the driver who delivered my watch hinted that it could lead to things being left on doorsteps. Not sure how likely this is though.

  9. #8
    Member djcoronel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    216

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by ALEXO View Post
    Billed at delivery. You can pay in advance with Fedex on the phone, but I would advice against this: the driver who delivered my watch hinted that it could lead to things being left on doorsteps. Not sure how likely this is though.
    gotcha. i ordered a marine klassik 36mm and it arrived without me having to pay anything. i'm wondering if this was a one-off happening, or if this is standard procedure in the US. i just recently ordered from stowa again, a partitio this time around, and thus i was wondering about the aforementioned.
    IWC Portuguese Chronograph
    Glashütte Original Senator Automatic
    Montblanc Heritage Moonphase

    Stowa Marine Klassik
    Stowa Partitio


  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    89

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    No it's not a one off but it just depends if customs gets you. Sometimes you just get lucky that's all.

  11. #10
    Member djcoronel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Posts
    216

    Re: Customs to Canada?

    Quote Originally Posted by bbjai View Post
    No it's not a one off but it just depends if customs gets you. Sometimes you just get lucky that's all.
    damnit. welp, i hope i get lucky again.
    IWC Portuguese Chronograph
    Glashütte Original Senator Automatic
    Montblanc Heritage Moonphase

    Stowa Marine Klassik
    Stowa Partitio


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 4
      Last Post: August 18th, 2015, 01:39
    2. Oh Canada customs, Oh Canada customs how you upset me
      By supawabb in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 42
      Last Post: December 23rd, 2013, 21:04
    3. Debaufre and Canada Customs
      By kiterpete in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: May 30th, 2008, 04:26
    4. canada customs import duty
      By goro1 in forum DOXA Owners Club
      Replies: 11
      Last Post: August 27th, 2007, 22:25
    5. Customs duty in Canada
      By SWR in forum DOXA Owners Club
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: June 11th, 2006, 23:19

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •