Dollar downer

Thread: Dollar downer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dollar downer

Just as I've caught the fever and am about ready to go for an Antea - the dollar seems to be taking a nosedive. The prices have been going up daily - approx. $45 in the last week for an Antea Creme. $50 dollars this way or that won't make a difference, but more might.
    Since I'm no financial whiz, I guess I'm looking for somebody to tell me that the dollar will rebound before the watch would be ready in March. Also, how does it work - should I prepay to get a good rate - or wait and see what happens?

Re: Dollar downer

If you want the watch, you should just go ahead and buy it.

There is no way for anyone on this planet to tell you how the US Dollar's value relative to any other currency in the world will play out over the next week, not to mention the next six months.

Make sure to post some images of that beautifully crafted timepiece once it's on your wrist so we can enjoy it with you!

Glen

I'd buy now, too. The United States Federal Reserve is worried about deflation, so it announced that it was going to cut interest rates close to 0 and print more money, which in turn devalues the currency. Hence, this week's weak dollar.

Even at an increase like you're citing, Stowas are still a great value.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You're right of course - on both counts. I will buy the watch, and I get that nobody can tell me where the dollar v the euro will be tomorrow, let alone 3 months.
    The thing is, I bet some of the old hands around here have seen the fluctuations over time and have some thoughts about what has happened in the past. Either way, I will be getting the watch.

stuffler,mike

I' d ask the crystal ball or a durtune teller ....No, seriously: you do not know what the credit crunch will cause on a longer run. I have seen the BPD falling since I moved to London. 1 BPD now is 1.2688984 €, buying at Picadilly Circus was 1,07 today.

I don't think you can easily predict this - if you could you could make a lot of money trading currencies. Then think of all the watches you could buy!

Frank, I would bet that the US dollar's rough ride is not nearly over yet and it will fall lower before recovery. The fallout from the restructuring in the automotive sector hasn't begun yet (the web today contains stories about structured insolvency for the big 3). If you are tempted to buy now, I would do it before the Christmas season is over. The usual post-season blahs will be even more pronounced this year, I should think, once people's credit card bills start to arrive. That can only mean a further devalued dollar.
    Casio: PAW1300-1V
    Nomos: Tangomat (Zeta), Tetra Large (Alpha)
    Rolex: Air King (ca. 1982), Cellini (c.a. 1980)
    Seiko: SNM009 White Samurai, SKX781 Orange Monster, SBDC003 Blue Sumo, SBDC005 Orange Sumo,SNKF07 "BFS", SKX007, 6306 - 7001, 6105 - 8119, 6309 - 7040, SBDX001 Marine Master 300,KS 5625-7040 Hi-Beat Chronometer, SPB015J1 Double Retrograde
    Stowa: Marine Original (Serial), Fleiger Original (Serial)
    Tutima: F2 PR

Hey Frank,

Consider yourself lucky...I took my family to Italy last April when 1 Euro=$1.65.

Bottom line is: Murphy's Law says you'll be kicking yourself no matter what you do, so if you want the watch and can afford it now, buy it and fuggedaboutit.

Cheers,
    Rick

The Euro compared to the not-so-almighty dollar was on a stready rise from 2005 all the way to July of 2008. Then after the economic distress, and financial industry fiasco going on here in the states came home to roost in the rest of the world, the Euro actually fell quite steeply. It's only started to go back up in the past few weeks, albeit very quickly.

Currency specualtion is for folks who have deep pockets, extreme mental fortitude, and a large ready supply of antacid and asprin... Very fast money to be made and lost in that market!

Im far from an expert, but I do work in the US equities and Bond markets for a living. i don't forsee the US $ getting any stronger any time soon.

Cedarman- I feel your pain! I was back home in Ireland for a family event in April '08. Holy-mary-mother-of-god was that ever expensive!!
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean 45mm
    Oris Williams F1 Chronograph
    Citizen Meccanico NP3010-34A
    Citizen Aqualand 20th Aniv. Eco-Drive
    G-Shock G2300B-1V
    Luminox 3001

Quote Originally Posted by dtmartin46 View Post
    holy-mary-mother-of-god was that ever expensive!!
    lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information