Durowe Ideas...

Thread: Durowe Ideas...

Durowe Ideas...

Hi -

I thought I'd start up a new thread to give some feedback on the planned re-introduction of Durowe as a movement manufacturer.

I went to the website that Jörg Schauer linked to in his post. Looking at the two photos that show work on a Durowe movement, it got me to thinking.

First of all, the only way to really compete against ETA is to be better than they are. Not so much better in productivity - I don't think that Jörg wants to make millions of movements (yet!) - but rather better in basic concepts and better in terms of performance, but without getting into the realm of becoming too esoteric and too much horological finesse without real performance gains.

What do I mean by this?

Well, rather than try to come up with a completely new calibre, I think it'd be a good idea - at least with the limited knowledge of watchmaking that I have - to start with the best of the old Durowe designs and improve on them significantly. Advanced technologies such as DLC could be used for improving the gear train's friction coefficients to increase mainspring efficiency, and a DLC coating on the escapement would help reduce friction as well, reducing a critical lubrication point.

A personal favorite of mine would be to update a large-balance-wheel, slow-beat movement to be a higher-beat movement (not necessarily 36'000 or even 28'800, but up there nonetheless) without reducing the size of the balance wheel while keeping energy usage under control: while this would be difficult, it'd be a different direction.

Another idea is finishing the movement: a Durowe movement should be instantly identifiable as such, and this is where either anodization or PVD of bridges, etc., could be used to clearly generate a high-tech look that would send the message that there is a new manufacture in town.

The same could be said for case design for any first Durowe watch under that name: an advanced finish, such as teflon or other coatings, could be very attractive and sets the watch apart from most other makers.

What we don't need, I think, is to reinvent the wheel: we don't need a 2824 clone, nor do we need a 7750 clone. Too much competition and too much of the same movement everywhere would mean that Durowe would be just another movement maker. Keep the tradition of Durowe alive, but with modern technology.

I'm looking forward to whatever Durowe brings out!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Re: Durowe Ideas...

To those watch fans with limited watch mechenical knowleadge and some other background knowleadge (I'm one of those fore sure:)), your threads are always great to read. They are educational and informative!!! You can always share us your opinion in a professional way. You really rock!!!

Since I really wish that there would be a Stowa chronograph. According to your analysis, you think it's possible or not?

Hi -

We're talking two things here: Durowe movements and Stowa chronographs. The two are not mutually exclusive.

A chronograph is indeed missing from the current Stowa lineup...

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd love to have something similar to Schauer Digital 3, but make it more affordable under Stowa brand name.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=59425

Personally I would rather that he started using the new movement in the Schauer range.

With (I guess) a limited number of movements being produced, initially I would like it in a classic model, such as the original Day-Date, and ideally in pink gold. Obv. this positions it a certain price point!!

Once the production is established then he can extend into other models.

I would also use such new Durowe movements exclusively in the Schauer brand. In my opinion the brand positioning and perception of Stowa today is different from a "manufacturer". Nothing against the limited editions with the old stock Durowe movements, but new Durowes for a serial Stowa watch I cannot imagine.

This all in mind that the new Durowe movements are of medium level positioning.
    In case it will be an entry level movement things are different of corse.
    Last edited by powermaxi2000; October 19th, 2008 at 12:22.

I reckon it is a brilliant move on Herr Schauer's part to develop the durowe movement. I don't think it has to be that much different to the ETA movements (although it would be great if they were unique).

From what I understand once the swatch group starts limiting the distribution of its ETA movements, small independent watch manufacturers outside Switzerland are going to struggle, unless there is a viable alterative offered. In an ideal world, if Herr Schauer can place german-made movements within his Schauer and Stowa watches, then increase production to the extent that other german watch manufacturers will be able to use them, I think that would be perfect. What would be better than a german movement inside a german watch? I would definitely like to see the durowe movement inside Stowa as well inside the Schauer watches. That would make them more authentic. I imagine (although I could be wrong) that when the original watches that the antea and FO etc watches are based on, were created in the 1930s, they would have all had german movements inside. I think its all good.

Thread Information