Fascinated by these watches

Thread: Fascinated by these watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fascinated by these watches

After first reading about mechanical watches a little while ago, I've been fascinated with the simplicity and extreme elegance of these Stowa watches (the NOMOS Tangente is beautiful, too). I've been very close to placing an order for a Antea. I don't know which to get, though. I've never had a really nice watch, though I've always liked having good looking watches, if that makes any sense. It's way more than I've ever spent for a watch but I don't mind spending money for premium products. Should I order new or look for a used copy? Any thoughts for a complete watch newb?

Re: Fascinated by these watches

I was in the same boat as you thanks to this site.
    I recently received my Stowa Flieger and couldn't be happier.... longest 4 months of my life.
    The Stowa products are great, you will not regret it purchasing one of their watches.

Good luck with your decision.
    | MKII Nassau |
    | Seiko SKX007 |
    | Seiko SRP777 |
    | Nodus Trieste |

Used watches do come up for sale but often are snapped up quickly. If you have patience, you can watch the sales forum here and other watch forums and also post a WTB for one although I would do that as a last resort. This could go on for months and you might still not find what you want. If this is your first seriously nice watch and can afford the price, then maybe you owe it to yourself to place the order for a new one configured exactly as you would want it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AFG08 View Post
    Used watches do come up for sale but often are snapped up quickly. If you have patience, you can watch the sales forum here and other watch forums and also post a WTB for one although I would do that as a last resort. This could go on for months and you might still not find what you want. If this is your first seriously nice watch and can afford the price, then maybe you owe it to yourself to place the order for a new one configured exactly as you would want it.
    That was my thought, as well. I did a cursory search of the for sale forum and there were a few interesting options but really I'm talking about saving what, $100-200? Not worth it, IMHO. I think I'm going to order one new. I like the fliegers a lot, too. Decisions, decisions...

I think that's the way to go. Give it some thought for a couple of weeks to make sure you know what you want. Lots of help here if you have questions. When you are ready, hit the "buy" button and in 3-4 months you'll have a great watch. I thought about my Marine Original for a year before I was ready.

Can someone tell me how the Stowa watches compare *in size* to this watch: Amazon.com: Casio Men's AMW330-7AV Dive Chronograph Resin Strap Watch: Casio: Watches ?

It's my current everyday watch so I'm trying to get a sense of how the Antea KS/365/390/Ikarus might compare. Thanks.

45mm case diameter is a pretty big watch. Most of the Stowa models will feel a lot smaller (except maybe the MO and the diver). Probably the best thing to do is take a sheet of poster board and make a life-size cutout of the watches you are interested in and "try them on" for size.

Pre-owned Stowa watches normally don't sell for big discounts unless they have condition issues. I have a couple (a MO and a B-dial flieger) which are both preowned but I just happened to find exactly the watches I wanted in mint condition. I'm happy with both of them.

In general, you will be waiting either way (waiting to find the "perfect" used one, or waiting for Stowa to make your watch) so it really comes down to how you feel about getting a pre-owned watch with not much discount. I think most would just go ahead and order a new one.

Even the largest Antea at 39mm is going to be quite a bit smaller in diameter as well as thickness from what you are wearing. You might want to think about cruising a local mall store that has dress Seiko or Citizen watches, try one on for size to get an idea. The Stowa is a very different style watch from what you are wearing but obviously it appeals to you. What size is your wrist? That might help determine what will look good or do a search here for watches on your size wrist. There are lots of photos. If you can't find one, post a request for a photo of a watch on your wrist size and someone will here will probably have one for you.
    Last edited by AFG08; July 7th, 2011 at 18:14.

I measured my wrist yesterday and I came out at about 7 1/4" so I think I'm on the small end of things. I'm leaning towards the Ikarus right now but it deviates a little from the purely classic look I like about the Antea. That's 40 mm with a 20 mm strap and closer to what I'm wearing now. Not that I have to have a watch this bulky - it's just for comparison's sake.

What are people's thoughts about the Ikarus vs. Antea 365? I wish I could see them in person. Looking at the differences on a computer screen doesn't feel quite as evocative.

So if I were to order an Ikarus, is it just a matter of choosing my band color? Any other options I should be consider/aware of? Does the back come with the clear display or is that extra? What's this about COSC certifications, etc? I'm very close to deciding to order one with the old style black band. Are there any pics of this particular configuration in the real world? Thanks. Sorry for all the questions!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information