Fedex / USA shipping, taxes + duties

Thread: Fedex / USA shipping, taxes + duties

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fedex / USA shipping, taxes + duties

In your experience, when purchasing from Stowa and shipping to the US:

1. Is there a shipping cost, or is that included in the cost of the watch?

2. Does Fedex charge any taxes or duties or customs costs?

3. Are there any other associated costs that you need to know about?

Re: Fedex / USA shipping, taxes + duties

There are many threads on this Website discussing this topic in detail, including one just below this one on the Stowa forum.
    1) They charge shipping. It is around 35 Euros
    2) There are duties. They are charged a month after the watch arrives. They range between $15 and $40 depending on various things.
    3) That's it.

Yes, I just got an answer to this very same question in another thread. Manolete, did FedEx require a signature upon delivery? Thanks in advance.

Steve

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

FedEx UK does require a signature upon delivery, as well as DHL.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

1. As others have said, there is a shipping cost, which is pretty minimal as I recall.

2. FEDEX will clear your watch and bill you for duties plus a handling fee. For my Chronograph, that was around $50, most of which was the handling fee. You can save yourself some time, once you pay, by downloading the CBP Form 5106, fill it out, sign it, and scan it and save it. You'll have to send it to FEDEX to release your watch from customs once it gets to the US. Just Google Customs and Border Protection Form 5106. That way you're all set to just send it in when you hear from FEDEX. That will save you a little time at the very end when you think your watch is almost in your hands!

3. Otherwise, just the "service fee" for clearing customs. No other hidden charges.

FedEx brokerage fees when shipping to US

It seems our Canadian neighbors sometimes have varying experience with FedEx and "brokerage" fees.

I think I've done my searches and read plenty of threads to ask a relatively straightforward question. For US residents, have you ever been billed more than $30 for a watch shipped from Stowa, all in including duty and other fees, by FedEx? If so, would you share how much and how it broke down.

Considering the experience some people have had with varying and inconsistent Fedex brokerage charges, I'm considering DHL. Anyone else use DHL to have their watch shipped to the US and can share the experience?

Appreciate any feedback.
    Last edited by frogger17; June 21st, 2013 at 10:01.

Re: FedEx brokerage fees when shipping to US

My MO was around $30 in duty fees by FedEx. I would have to find the paperwork for the breakdown.

I was very happy with the speed of FedEx shipping, and the relatively low cost.

I've had several watches (not Stowas) shipped to me in California from Germany and the UK via DHL and have never been charged duty. The one time I was charged duty was when the watch was shipped via FedEx.

Quote Originally Posted by logan2z View Post
    I've had several watches (not Stowas) shipped to me in California from Germany and the UK via DHL and have never been charged duty. The one time I was charged duty was when the watch was shipped via FedEx.
    I've never paid duty, either, though I have never used FedEx for a shipment like this, now that I think about it.

This is also the first I have heard of having to fill out/send in a CBP form to FedEx. Is that true? I am expecting a MO in another month or so. I could probably find something less trivial to complain about, but all of this talk about forms and duties seems unnecessary in 2013. I got a watch from Singapore recently, sent via UPS Express. As I understand it, UPS clears customs in-house (with UPS Express, anyway). I had the watch in less than 2 days and never heard a peep from UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by rts9364 View Post
    I've never paid duty, either, though I have never used FedEx for a shipment like this, now that I think about it.

This is also the first I have heard of having to fill out/send in a CBP form to FedEx. Is that true? I am expecting a MO in another month or so. I could probably find something less trivial to complain about, but all of this talk about forms and duties seems unnecessary in 2013. I got a watch from Singapore recently, sent via UPS Express. As I understand it, UPS clears customs in-house (with UPS Express, anyway). I had the watch in less than 2 days and never heard a peep from UPS.
    I just remembered having to also pay duty on a shipment from Germany sent by UPS. In that case I missed the delivery truck and picked up the watch at the UPS facility. They charged me duty at the time of pickup. In the case of FedEx, I have a FedEx account (although the shipper's account was used for the shipment) and FedEx found the account in their system and charged it for the duties. In neither case were any forms required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information