First flieger, Stowa Klassik A Dial
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: First flieger, Stowa Klassik A Dial

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

First flieger, Stowa Klassik A Dial

Before I pulled the trigger on the Stowa, I also looked into Laco and Steinhart for a Type A flieger. Price wasn't an issue, it was just trying to choose one that is best for me, as each brand has own goods and bads. In the end I chose the Stowa because I like its overall proportions the best. I gave up on going the historically accurate route as I prefer how the Stowa looks on the wrist over the Laco, not a big fan of the straight lugs. Stowa is a great blend of modern watchmaking with historical elements and I think it works beautifully together.

After I placed my order I waited for Stowa to come back from vacation. Once they shipped from Germany, I got the watch the next day in Vancouver, Canada. I must say I'm very impressed with the shipping speed! Anyway, here it is:

I think Stowa changed the box design, it's different than the ones I've seen online
    Name:  DSC_0323.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  138.1 KB

I really like this metal box, quite practical and looks great
    Name:  DSC_0328.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  222.8 KB

Seeing the watch for the first time, always very exciting!
    Name:  DSC_0333.jpg
Views: 2504
Size:  126.4 KB

Just as beautiful in person as in the photos

The polishing and overall fit and finish is fantastic!

The strap feels quite nice, almost has a nubuck texture. It is very soft and comfortable. The only thing is the fit is slightly off for my 6.75" wrist, it's either a bit too loose or a bit too tight.

Macro shot of the dial and we can see that the Superluminova is applied over the printed dial, and it slightly bulges out giving a 3D effect.

I chose the Fl23883 engraving, even though it's a bit expensive at about $100 CAD, I think it's a pretty cool detail and adds to the watch.

The onion crown is beautiful, the details are nicely executed and easy to manual wind. Though I personally prefer the diamond crown, this one is definitely more comfortable on the wrist as it doesn't dig in.

The heated blue steel hands are beautiful. Even though this isn't my first watch with blue hands, I think it looks amazing over the black dial.

The movement is the top version ETA 2824-2. The decoration is alright, nothing to write home about compared to my other watches. I actually like this rotor quite a lot though, it's very unique and the historical element is interesting to look at.
    I would have chosen the handwind movement if it was available, but in the end it doesn't really matter. The auto is probably more practical for this watch anyway since I will definitely be wearing it quite a bit.

Lume shot, it lights up like a flashlight

Random comparison with my PAM422, 40mm vs 47mm. I really like military style watches, the simplicity of the design just works so well, perfect examples of form following function.

The Stowa is very thin at ~10mm vs 422's roughly 16.5mm. Because of this, the Stowa is very very versatile and stress free on the wrist.

The flieger is a perfect alternative to wearing my 422 when I feel like wearing something small but keeping that military style. Before I thought a 42mm or 45mm flieger would be ideal, but now that I've worn the Stowa for a few days I think the 40mm makes a lot of sense, especially for daily wear. I'm very happy that I went with the Stowa and it will definitely get a ton of wrist time

Thanks for reading!

Re: First flieger, Stowa Klassik A Dial

That is some wonderful pics. Awesome review. Wear in good health

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nice watch. Congrats. And great review.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One nice benefit of the Stowa is that if you want to wear it at more formal occasions, all it takes is to add a nice alligator or horween shell strap....

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Great review and pictures of amazing watch(es). Interesting comparison to the Pam. I own 2 hand wound Laco's in 45mm (Type A and B) and had hard time to decide to get the Stowa in its mere 40mm, but I found that it wears surprisingly well on my 7.5" wrist. Laco's with their grey finish and size appear more 'brute', they are great in their own right. The Stowa is more delicate and refined. Both have very crisp dials and solid build. I opted for a logo dial as I feel it is more contemporary with its unobtrusive logo. The Laco of course are sterile dials.

Currently wearing mine on worn out Hirsh Liberty, had hard time to squeeze the 22mm strap in between those lugs but I am liking the result. For some reason the stock tan straps although great keeps the watch off balance on top my wrist. I can center it of course if I tighten it up but I like to wear the leather a bit loosely.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Great review and most excellent pictures, especially the lume shot.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

You made a wonderful choice. Congrats on your Flieger!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Great watch, nice photos and write up!
    Last edited by Louie777; August 31st, 2016 at 16:17.

Thank you all for the kind words! I've worn the watch for 5 days straight and I don't often do that with a watch!

Quote Originally Posted by radarcontact View Post
    Great review and pictures of amazing watch(es). Interesting comparison to the Pam. I own 2 hand wound Laco's in 45mm (Type A and B) and had hard time to decide to get the Stowa in its mere 40mm, but I found that it wears surprisingly well on my 7.5" wrist. Laco's with their grey finish and size appear more 'brute', they are great in their own right. The Stowa is more delicate and refined. Both have very crisp dials and solid build. I opted for a logo dial as I feel it is more contemporary with its unobtrusive logo. The Laco of course are sterile dials.

Currently wearing mine on worn out Hirsh Liberty, had hard time to squeeze the 22mm strap in between those lugs but I am liking the result. For some reason the stock tan straps although great keeps the watch off balance on top my wrist. I can center it of course if I tighten it up but I like to wear the leather a bit loosely.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
    I totally agree with your word choice, the Laco is definitely more brute and the Stowa is refined. Both are great but for me I think the Stowa is much easier to match the wardrobe.

These posts never get old. Beautiful watch. Enjoy it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information