Flieger 36 and 40 - A comparison on my 6.2" wrist
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Flieger 36 and 40 - A comparison on my 6.2" wrist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi people!

Here is a post comparing the two watches on my wrist with pictures. This forum has been very helpful to me in the past (as a lurker) so I wanted to give something back to hopefully help future buyers choose between the two sizes..

I had admired the Stowa Flieger for a long time on instagram, but was unsure which size to buy. My most worn watch is the Longines Conquest Heritage 35mm and I usually didn't like watches larger than 38mm on my very flat and thin wrist. I bought the 36mm, but after three months of using it I decided I did not like it, and bought the 40mm.

In my opinion, the 36mm is not just a smaller version of the 40mm. It almost feels like a different watch:

• The bezel is slimmer on the 36
    • The lugs are more prominent and more "straight" sort of. I noticed them a lot, in a bad way
    • The case on the 36 feels more curvy
    • The minute markers have the same width and the numerals are the same thickness on both size. This results in a more dense appearance on the 36. On the 40mm there is more air and space on the dial. All minute markers are lumed on the 36.
    • The rivets on the 18mm strap looks tiny

I usually wear a 35mm watch, so I thought the 36mm would be perfect. But in my opinion it looked too small on me. There is something about the proportions between all elements on the dial and case on the 36 that did not sit right with me. It's small details I know, but small details are why we are on this forum? The 36 feels more like a dressier to me with more curvature and slimmer bezels, more delicate in a way. The 40 feels more like a tool watch.

My size recommendations (these are only my opinions of course). You should probably get the 40 if you have my sized wrist or larger. The 40mm is pushing the maximum size for me. My wrists are thin and very flat below the wrist-bone, so I can pull off a lug-to-lug of around 50mm with no overhang (if the watch sits low on the wrist). You should probably get the 36 if you have significantly smaller wrists than mine. Just keep in mind that they appear more different than you maybe had thought, not just in size. I had fallen in love with the appearance of the 40mm, and the 36 I bought initially was not the watch I fallen in love with.

In the end, it's just a few millimeters and not the end of the world. All watch collections have room for both small and large watches, and variety is the spice of life!

The seiko in the comparisons is the skx013.

Good luck!

Name:  IMG_2724.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  2.20 MBName:  IMG_2728.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  1.39 MBName:  IMG_2730.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  1.47 MBName:  IMG_2735.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.03 MBName:  IMG_2736.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  953.7 KB

Thanks for that very informative, insightful review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by middlepath; 3 Weeks Ago at 18:07.

Re: Flieger 36 and 40 - A comparison on my 6.2" wrist

I always appreciate small wrist fit photos no matter the brand. Definitely agree 40 mm sits more like a tool watch, which seems fitting.
    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." - Albert Camus

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Welcome to the forums!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

osc

Great post and very helpful with the pictures. For this style, the 40mm is definitely a good fit IMHO.

Great post

Ps. One of the key differences... the 36mm does not have a white line around the dial (index track) ... whereas the 40mm does. This contributes to the different look.
    iggy-th and Rosenbloom like this.
    "Community... without consumerism"

This is a very helpful post. I have been deciding for a while between the 36 and the 40. (I have 6.25 in wrists) and might just go for the 40 now. I think a pilots watch shouldn't be too small

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDoughboy View Post
    This is a very helpful post. I have been deciding for a while between the 36 and the 40. (I have 6.25 in wrists) and might just go for the 40 now. I think a pilots watch shouldn't be too small
    I would choose the 40mm if you have flat wrist like I do. I've had it for a week now and I'm finally getting used to the size. 40 is too big for a dress watch on me, but I think the flieger looks better slightly too large rather than slightly too small. If a 38mm would have been available I would have chosen that probably.

I have the same sized wrists! Thanks for the comparison. It'll help me decide which one I should get.

Crown of the 36mm looks too round. Wished they still offered standard crowns.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast