Flieger 40mm A-dial vs B-dial
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Flieger 40mm A-dial vs B-dial

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flieger 40mm A-dial vs B-dial

Hi,

I already have Flieger 6498 small second, absolutely love this watch, sometimes I can just sit and stare at it for a few minutes:)
    In the nearest future I plan to buy the smaller 40mm version (hand wound, no logo, no date) and have to decide which one is better.

In my personal opinion

A-dial:
    +cleaner look
    +easier to read
    -too thick seconds hand

B-dial:
    +looks different than 6498 that I already have
    +perfect seconds hand, very thin with black tip
    -hours hand doesn't reach the circle on the dial
    -dial looks a bit crowded with numerals, at least on photos

Is there anyone here who owns both fliegers A and B dial? Which one do you like more?
    How do you think is it possible to order A-dial watch with B-dial seconds hand? Movements and dial size are the same so it's a fairly easy modification, did anyone try it before?

Re: Flieger 40mm A-dial vs B-dial

Interesting discussion. Curious on input. Always thought the B-dial very cool but too busy for my taste.

I have 3 watches with a A dial (and a Verus).
    At the beginning I didn't like the B-dial but it might be my next Stowa.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

I own 1 Baumuster A (Stowa) and 2 Baumuster B (not Stowa). Prefer the Baumuster B. Don‘t agree that the hour hand on the Baumuster B is too short. Imho it is sized just right. Not reaching the circle (which isn‘t necessary to read the time in a glance) but hits the dots on the circle, similar to the Stowa 55mm predecessor though.

Regsrding seconds hand change I‘d email Stowa CS.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I've had both watches, the B dial twice actually. All three were purchased new from Stowa and have been flipped but I may get another some day. Both wear the same on the wrist and look great. I think you'll be pleased with either of them.

I have an opposing view regarding the seconds hands. I love the seconds hand on the A dial, the long blue counter balance adds a great deal of pop to an otherwise austere dial. The hand does not appear too thick to me. I find it well proportioned and close to those on the original B-Uhr watches. Compare it to the IWC photo below and I think you'll agree.

Conversely I disliked the B dial seconds hand, I found it a bit thin and did not care for the black (non-blued) counter balance. The B dial is missing a lot of the blue that stands out on the A dial.

Having said that, I preferred the B dial. The design is brilliant, perfect for teaching a youngster to tell time or for someone under a stressful situation to read the time accurately. Despite its busy look it is a simple layout, very easy to read quickly and accurately. No doubt why it was chosen to replace the older A dial design.

BTW, the blued tip of the hour hand - the metal part - DOES just touch the inner circle perfectly.

Name:  stowa_0011.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  152.6 KB

Name:  stowa_0110.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  183.0 KB

IWC B-Uhr for comparison (not my watch or photo)
    rhaythorne and flyingpicasso like this.

Didn't expect to hear from owners of both versions so fast, thanks for your input!
    Regarding the length of hour hand - this could be just the angle of the photo which makes it look like the tip reaches the circle, I think in reality there's a small distance:

Name:  flieger_type_a_vs_type_b.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  82.8 KB

or maybe length of the hand varies slightly between different watches.
    Given unlimited finances the only right choice would be to buy both of them but looks like b-dial will come first:)

For me personally I much prefer the cleaner A dial
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

I also have both: A-dial (non-Stowa) and B-dial (Stowa). I love both watches, and wear either fairly regularly.

I fully agree with Quartersawn that from a functional point of view, the B-dial is brilliant, and is very intuitive to read. I do have a slight preference for the A-dial simply because of its cleaner look, but I must say that (at least to me) the A-dial seems to wear a little larger because of its design. Not sure if others have the same feeling.

I prefer the A type dial by a long shot.

If I had to choose one over the other I'd choose the Type A dial but, after a while, this can become a little plain and uninteresting to look at. It is, of course, an uber-functional piece and I doubt that much thought, if any, went into making it look "pretty". Luckily, I don't have to choose one over the other and opted to buy an example of both dials. After a week or so wearing the simple Type A it can be very refreshing to switch over to the more intricate Type B. The A and B designs are each perfect for their intended purpose and I think it would be a mistake to modify them by, as was suggested, swapping the A Type's seconds hand for the B Type's one.

Name:  Stowa Flieger 90.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  507.2 KB

Name:  Stowa Flieger Classic 40 Baumuster B 20190426.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  537.4 KB

As to the seconds hand counterweight on the Type B, don't overlook its little eclipse trick. I never get tired of watching this :)

Name:  stowa-fliegerb-second.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  493.2 KB
    Last edited by rhaythorne; May 3rd, 2019 at 19:30. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information