Flieger 6498 Limited - very short "the good, the bad and the ugly" review
Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By stanciu
  • 3 Post By Breguet7147
  • 3 Post By stanciu

Thread: Flieger 6498 Limited - very short "the good, the bad and the ugly" review

Flieger 6498 Limited - very short "the good, the bad and the ugly" review

I wanted to make a very short review, so please excuse the pic (and actually do not know why it rotates). Anyway, is is winter, so no sun to reflect the beautiful hands of this Flieger.

The good:

- no sign of sloppy design on the watch (like laser writing that barely scratches the back of the watch and looks like it has been done in a mall shop or a dial with minor defects)
    - the movement is gorgeous.
    - the hands are superb
    - the sapphire is slightly domed and looks very nice
    - the crown is somewhere in the middle between a round onion and a diamond from IWC big pilot. And the crown is large, which I like a lot.
    - the tick of the Unitas is not that loud as others mentioned. Actually, I would have preferred to be louder. It makes the watch alive.
    - the brownish/reddish color of the dial is interesting. It matches very nice the blue of the hands. It is an orange-blue combination that is very interesting.

The bad:

- Jorg could have put luminous material on the seconds hand, also. It would have made the watch more special. Unfortunately, the night glow is similar to the regular Flieger
    - general night glow nowhere near my Doxa 5000 or Seiko Turtle. After the first few hours the glow starts to fade and I am starting to mistake the hours with the minutes hand. That is not happening with Doxa or Seiko.

The ugly:

- the strap is on one side 1 mm too narrow at the lugs. I do not understand how and why, but probably is an error on the strap side, not the watch side. You can see it in the pic, towards my hand.
    - on the side that the strap seems narrower, if you push a little with your finger, you can hear the pin inside rattling between the lugs.
    - I did not like that while I was shopping on the Stowa website, two collections disappeared and came back after some weeks. Indeed, their support notified me when they came back. I would have gone for the Unitas 6497, but due to their withdrawal, I ended up with 6498.

All in all, I am happy with my acquisition. Stowa's attention to detail is outstanding. I wish they could have made the Unitas 6497 with central second hand, as Guinand is doing. Although Jorg is stating that by doing it, the prices will increase a lot, I think they should look at Guinand (I know Mr. Sinn was involved and maybe this is the difference) as they bring a Unitas 6497 central second hand Flieger to the market at the same price with the Limited Flieger from Stowa. I know there are differences in the case and the hands, but I believe it could be done in a price below EUR 2,000.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

Re: Flieger 6498 Limited - very short "the good, the bad and the ugly" review

I just received mine about 30 min ago so all I had time for was a couple of quick pics. 1st impression - amazing!

One interesting thing is that on mine the lume on the hands matches the dial closely, not like some of the other versions.

My strap seems fine (no gap) but I got the short version. Maybe the normal version had an issue.
    Last edited by Breguet7147; February 27th, 2018 at 16:54.
    Fikk, iggy-th and Tonhao like this.

indeed, your lume on the hands seems to be in tone with the one on the dial. Mine is reddish vs brownish. I actually do not mind about this. What I do mind is that the strap is not the right size and the pin is somehow making a noise when pushed gently.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm sure they'd send you a new / different strap if you explain the issue - In my experience their customer service has always been great ...

A "good" review usually includes a few relevant details--you know, like case size, lug width, a few specific details about the movement, the leather in the "ugly" strap, the buckle, etc....(when folks see review they may come here looking for help in deciding which watch to buy, where basic specs are, well, "good").

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    A "good" review usually includes a few relevant details--you know, like case size, lug width, a few specific details about the movement, the leather in the "ugly" strap, the buckle, etc....(when folks see review they may come here looking for help in deciding which watch to buy, where basic specs are, well, "good").
    I am so sorry, but unfortunately I do not have the time to put a full review. I have to work in order to buy the watch. I have put just an add on to the already mentioned things, especially the things that are more particular to the limited edition.

People, I think we should welcome other people here. Don't be so harsh on new members here.

Thank you for your suggestion, M.W.
    whineboy, RickS72 and JL Pettimore like this.

Sure is a beautiful watch

Thread Information