Flieger 90th- should the crown turn counter...?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tanzer16

Thread: Flieger 90th- should the crown turn counter...?

Flieger 90th- should the crown turn counter...?

Something I recently noticed. Should the crown be able to rotate counter-clockwise while in the home/wind position? It’s the Unitas 6498 manual wind movement. The watch works fine but I’d not noticed this before. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Flieger 90th- should the crown turn counter...?

The crown should be able to turn in both directions until it's fully winded. Then only counter-clockwise.

Hi Scott,

I have the exact same 90th Anniversary edition watch and had the identical thought as you. It only really winds clockwise, but it will turn counterclockwise as well.......you just don't feel or hear the clicks. Is that the same thing you have noticed as well? When I first wound it, I noticed that it after winding a turn clockwise, it will drift a little back counterclockwise. I thought something might be wrong, but everything seems fine.

Last edited by tanzer16; March 26th, 2018 at 02:11. Reason: added picture to post

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by tanzer16 View Post
    ...When I first wound it, I noticed that it after winding a turn clockwise, it will drift a little back counterclockwise. I thought something might be wrong, but everything seems fine.
    That is normal. All of my manual winding watches do that. These include the ETA 6498, the ETA 2801, the Unitas 6431/6445 and the Omega 1861.

Hi Scott,

.... When I first wound it, I noticed that it after winding a turn clockwise, it will drift a little back counterclockwise. I thought something might be wrong, but everything seems fine.
    When winding your watch, the mainspring keeps trying to unwind & is stopped from doing so by the *Click* (a small, flat metal hook, which engages in the gears of the ratchet (wheel), after each single wind . The ratchet wheel is above the mainspring & attached to the barrel containing the spring . The design of the click mechanism is such that it allows a slight *recoil* so that at the end of the complete wind, the spring won't be really tight and cause *rebanking* (knocking) caused by too much torque in the whole wheel train.
    B.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 12.24.25 PM.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  608.6 KB

Thank you for the info and the excellent diagram! That really helps explain alot. I, like Scott, wondered why it would turn counterclockwise but doesn't have the click that you have turning clockwise. Sounds like that is normal operation though. Thanks again for helping out and answering, and to Scott for bringing up the same exact question that I had
    B.... likes this.

Thank you for the info and the excellent diagram! That really helps explain alot. I, like Scott, wondered why it would turn counterclockwise but doesn't have the click that you have turning clockwise. Sounds like that is normal operation though. Thanks again for helping out and answering, and to Scott for bringing up the same exact question that I had
    I'm not really qualified to be the one to explain this but........The ability of the crown to wind the mainspring is only in the clockwise direction. That's the clockwork design. This action must counter (work against) the existing torque energy already stored in the mainspring. If there is no more reserve, (totally relaxed mainspring), there is no more *click* as you put it, because there is no resistance to the turning of the crown. Similarly, when turning the crown counterclockwise, it is disengaged from the wind function so there is again - no resistance, or opposing torque to cause the *clicking* of the gearing train.
    B.

Edit: Can you actually hear or feel a *click* when winding your watch? I thought perhaps you were referring to a feel of resistance, as I do with the 2804-2 movement in my Flieger, rather than a real click.
    Last edited by B....; March 26th, 2018 at 23:14.

Thread Information