Flieger Auto (COSC) running fast? any ideas?

Thread: Flieger Auto (COSC) running fast? any ideas?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flieger Auto (COSC) running fast? any ideas?

Hi All

I'm looking for a bit of help... the Flieger Auto (no logo, COSC) i bought finally arrived a few weeks back.

Its a gorgeous watch 9and im already looking at getting another Stowa) but as its my first auto watch, im not sure if im doing something wrong.

The watch seems to be running fast... last week it was over 10 mins out but i wrote it off thinking that i'd shaken my arm too much to "power" it up and put it out of synch.

So i've kept an eye on it recently and this morning set it against a website clock: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

I've just checked it again (12-13 hrs after setting it) and its already 65 seconds out.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing it or why it should happen?

All help much appreciated

Meles

Re: Flieger Auto (COSC) running fast? any ideas?

Perhaps magnetized. Or something happend during transportation. I would go for a watchmaker to have it checked or just send it in and Stowa will take care.

Agreed, I would send it back for regulating, have you e mailed Stowa? their customer service is top notch.

I set mine on Saturday and am delighted with the results so far.

Last edited by Dave I; June 25th, 2008 at 00:13.
    Best regards

Dave.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks. I'll get in touch.

Since setting it again about 10pm last night (its 13.20 now UK time) its already running approx 15-17 seconds fast. Will probably keep monitoring it this week and contact Stowa next week.

Meles

Quote Originally Posted by Meles_Meles View Post
    Thanks. I'll get in touch.

Since setting it again about 10pm last night (its 13.20 now UK time) its already running approx 15-17 seconds fast. Will probably keep monitoring it this week and contact Stowa next week.

Meles
    Hi Meles,

How'd you get on with this issue? My COSC Airman was running +2s until last night when I placed it 3 O'Clock up overnight and is now running about +1s every two hours.

I know that I need to let it settle in but was curious as to how you got on.

https://www.instagram.com/vintagebkkwatch/

Hi,

I have a Stowa Marine Automatic with the same COSC movement and I notice that the watch get magnetised quite easily. Since I have it for 4 months I've got it demagnetised twice. This does not happen to my other watches so far.

However, Stowa are great watches and congrats for your acquisition. This is a little trouble that can be solved by bringing your watch to repair shop and get it fixed.

FrancoThai

Just make sure the watch is fully wound. The 2824-2 will run fast if it is beginning to lose its fully wound status. I regulated a used Airman COSC to within +.5 sec/day when it's fully wound and on my wrist. If I let it rest for more than 9 hours after it's been fully wound and on my wrist all day, it will begin to run fast.

On another note, having the watch measured in all those COSC positions is essentially irrelevant - it only shows the watch is not very susceptible to positional variation, which is good, but that's it.

However, there are three positions where watch regulation should be focused if you wear your watch on your left wrist - 1. crown down, 2. face up, 3. six o'clock up about 35 degrees from flat (ex. sitting at desk, using a computer, driving a car, eating lunch). Those are the three most common positions for the wrist. The watch face down, six o'clock up, and crown up aren't positions where the watch will find itself very often for most people, so regulating it in those positions will only compromise the watch's regulation in the more common positions.

I've had no problems with magnetization with any Stowa watch, although some people seem to continually have that problem. Just stop into a watchmaker's shop to have it demagnetized to eliminate that as a problem.

Let us know how your situation transpires.
    Last edited by inlanding; July 28th, 2008 at 16:41.

A couple suggestions:
    * If the watch is brand new, there's little reason to send it back to Stowa for regulation. As the watch settles, it will change again, so you are better off wear it for a couple months before sending it in, after it is fully run-in.
    * Being magnetized could be a possibility, not sure what type of magnetic field the custom X-Ray machine generates. Any watch maker can quickly demagnetize it for you, and there are reasonably cheap demagnetizer you can buy. Make sure you get the one for watches, they can be had for a couple hundred US dollars.
    * Some movement could run fast when underwound, but I doubt they will create that type of gain. If you wear it regularly and is not sedantary in your life style, I presume the movement is at an adequate state of power reserve.
    * If watch accuracy is important to you, you may want to get a radio clock. Try to keep your measurement durable around 24 hours, the shorter the duration, the larger the % of measurement error.
    * Any good watch maker can regulate a watch for you at a low fee, it may beat having to send it all the way back to Germany. Not to mention you don't have to worry about the watch getting lost in transit.

Good luck.

Cheers for the responses guys. I think the issue is due to not having the watch wound sufficiently.

The advance in minutes is due to the radio signal calibrating my Waveceptor being five seconds out from the GMT site on the net (As an engineer I should always use the same reference point! :oops:)

I'm taking inlanding's advice and going for a decent walk at lunchtimes to charge the watch.

Thanks for the responses, and I'll get round to posting some pics soon as the deployant and un-riveted strap gives the watch a different, more refined look IMHO

Glad you decided to experiment by ensuring the watch is fully wound first before getting into any drama. I'd recommend being somewhat active using lots of wrist movement throughout the day.

Desk jobs and other sedentary type jobs are not the most conducive to keeping a self-winding movement fully wound, so it is good to get out in the morning for a bit, get out at lunch, as well as after dinner for a bit.

It might be that on the first day, it will keep decent time, but if you are not really active over the course of another day or two, the "unwound" state will cause the movement to run fast. The main reason is that the balance wheel will not travel as far in each direction (amplitude), thus making the watch run fast.The COSC movement is set to be relatively stable in all wrist positions, so when it is fully wound, it'll keep pretty good time. The advantages are good for you and for the watch to keep active!

Look forward to seeing some images of your fine timepiece. We like to live vicariously through others who enjoy their watches as much as we do. Enjoy !

Glen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information