Flieger Klassik 6498
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Flieger Klassik 6498

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flieger Klassik 6498

Hello everyone,

I'm very new to watches and have questions my newbie mind can't seem to google. I'm looking into buying a Klassik 6498 without second hand.

Does the UNITAS 6498-1 movement, that is in the watch, have "empty" crown positions; i.e. when you pull a crown into position that does nothing? Usually present with movements that have a date function, but the watch itself doesn't. I can't stand that, it feels like I'm handling a cheap watch. Or am I weird in feeling this way? From what I've been able to find online, the UNITAS 6498-1 does indeed have the date function capabilities. Did Stowa somehow adjust the crown or not?

The diameter of the watch is 41 mm - is the dial bigger or is the case bigger (like with their Sport model) compared to Klassik 40?

Does the winding movement wind indefinitely, or does it stop you from further winding after it is fully wound? For example, my automatics that can also be hand wound can be wound indefinitely, whereas my handwinding watches can only be wound until the power reserve is full.

I'm also looking at the Flieger 40 automatic - does this one have "empty" crown positions? How does the winding work there?

Last but not least, anyone have any hints, tips, objections to buying the 6498 for a complete newbie? I do not mind the handwinding every morning, so this is not an issue.

Thank you everyone for any input, your help is greatly appreciated!
    Best regards

Flieger Klassik 6498

Quote Originally Posted by fracture. View Post

Does the UNITAS 6498-1 movement, that is in the watch, have "empty" crown positions; i.e. when you pull a crown into position that does nothing?

The diameter of the watch is 41 mm - is the dial bigger or is the case bigger (like with their Sport model) compared to Klassik 40?

Does the winding movement wind indefinitely, or does it stop you from further winding after it is fully wound?

Last but not least, anyone have any hints, tips, objections to buying the 6498 for a complete newbie?
    I have the 6498 in a Marine Original. No date, no phantom crown position. It stops winding when you get to the end. And it’s beautiful. A gorgeous classic movement. Pleasure to wind and observe. Only downside is no hacking but no big deal (hint: just start winding when your reference time gets to zero).

I also have the Klassik 40. While you wouldn’t think the 1mm case difference matters it actually does. As much as I adore the Klassik I wish it was 41mm; that Stowa wouldn’t have made it a mutually exclusive choice between case size vs movement. I prefer the proportion of the Marine Original. Nevertheless amazing watch.

Both are manual wind and I didn’t even think twice on that.

My only mechanical complaint with either of these pieces is that I feel Stowa should have done a better job at adjusting them. The MOBLE runs +13spd and I’m not a fan of double digits. Particularly as a Limited Edition...and moreso when they upgrade the movement with a Swan Neck regulator designed to facilitate said adjustment. The Klassik 40 is about +8spd but still deserving of tighter timing given the historical relevance of a pilot watch used for synchronized activity. Granted, both are easily serviceable and a qualified watch maker could tighten those dead nuts. But that’s not the point.

Otherwise the quality and design are beyond reproach.
    Last edited by mitchjrj; August 11th, 2018 at 14:19.
    jermyzy and antsio100 like this.

Re: Flieger Klassik 6498

Thank you so much for your answer!

I would get the UNITAS without second hand - I don't have to care about second hacking then, or? Sorry if it's a stupid question, I'm really new.

"Phantom position" is the term for this? Hah, cool!

Is the 41 mm difference in case only (case is thicker) or is the dial bigger as well as the case (case thickness remaining the same)?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

The regular Unitas 6497: 6498, be it -1 or -2 (higher beat rate compared to -1), were used as pocket watch movements. No date indication though. There are some Big Date modifications (RT, EPOS, Davosa come to my mind) but at 99,9% there are only two crown positions, 0=winding, 1=setting.

As a purist I would not got for a small second with a Flieger.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; August 11th, 2018 at 14:39.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thank you for the answer! From what I was able to gather online, the main difference between Unitas 6497 and 6498 was supposedly the date position; one has it at 6, the other at 9. No idea if that is correct. Anyway, the no "phantom positions" is good news, as that would drive me nuts.

Why would you go for no seconds hand as a purist? The original fliegers had seconds hand, or? Anyway, I already have a Laco Original flieger at home, which is basically almost exactly the same as the originals, but smaller (wearable for civilians) in diameter.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; August 11th, 2018 at 15:13.

I would get the UNITAS without second hand - I don't have to care about second hacking then, or?

Is the 41 mm difference in case only (case is thicker) or is the dial bigger as well as the case (case thickness remaining the same)?
    Are you distinguishing between 6498 with small seconds rather than central seconds? Don’t understand your question.

Hacking is a function that stops the second hand when you pull the crown to set time. Convenient for accurately setting the watch but not mandatory. It’s a convenience feature, all else equal great to have but lack does not dissuade me from a movement.

The 41mm case is thicker. The manual wind Flieger Klassik 40 is less than 10mm thick, I think the auto version is 10.5 or such. So cases will be thinner based on diameter and movement but all eminently wearable.

One way or another you will be amazed. Stowa is an amazing brand with diehard fans.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    As a purist I would not got for a small second with a Flieger.
    I can see that. At least for a first/only Flieger. The basis of this watch design was an instrument, highly legible. Small seconds is anything but.

...the main difference between Unitas 6497 and 6498 was supposedly the date position; one has it at 6, the other at 9.
    Correct.

Thank you for the answer! From what I was able to gather online, the main difference between Unitas 6497 and 6498 was supposedly the date position; one has it at 6, the other at 9. No idea if that is correct. Anyway, the no "phantom positions" is good news, as that would drive me nuts.

Why would you go for no seconds hand as a purist? The original fliegers had seconds hand, or? Anyway, I already have a Laco Original flieger at home, which is basically almost exactly the same as the originals, but smaller (wearable for civilians) in diameter.
    It is not correct, as I already told you, it is about the difference in positioning the small second. Goes back to pocket watch times as well, Savonette vs. Lepine. Lovingly called 6-eater or 9-eater (the small second is often „eating up“ the numerals). There has not been a date indication, not at 6, not at 9.

Of course Flieger watches had a seconds hand, but out of the center, not a small second placed at 6 or 9.

Name:  A1E1820A-1817-4435-9F59-27FDD570F84A.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  108.6 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by mitchjrj View Post
    Correct.
    Any pic to show us of a Unitas 6497 or 6498 with a date indication ?
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information