Flieger Mania?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Flieger Mania?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Flieger Mania?

I'd say at least 70% of pictures on this forum are all Fliegers. I find the Flieger appealing but why is it so popular? Why do you love your Flieger?

Re: Flieger Mania?

The historic aspect is fine enough, but for me its appeal is simple: readability in a variety of conditions. The case size is perfect for me, too.
    Just my $0.02 as always.

I think the reason it's so prevalent is simple and obvious. It's what the company's best known for. First thing that enters your mind when you say flieger, you think the original five, which Stowa is one of. Kinda like, if you could only own one model from Stowa, a flieger would be the one to get. Not so for me personally, as I went a different route when choosing a flieger, and I would get the 1938 chronograph if I could only have one Stowa, but I think the Stowa = one of the original five mentality is what draws so many flieger purchases.
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; August 29th, 2013 at 05:25.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I agree with CM Hunter. I can understand it being the top seller and If i was in the market for a flieger , i would get a Stowa, no question.

I agree too: when you think about Stowa the first thought is Stowa = Flieger

It is a beautiful iconic design, lusted the IWC for years but couldn't swallow the price tag. Hope to join the Stowa group soon.

The STOWA Flieger is the WUS Gold Standard for a German styled pilot watch IMHO!!!!!!!
    Why?

1. Iconic German utilitarian design. The dial is symmetrically beautiful, but highly functional.
    The font is highly preferred by many.

2. Matt case with excellent fit and finish, with a reliable, accurate, and easy to service ETA 2824 beating inside.

3. Real heat blued hands that greatly add to the dials function and appeal.

4. Excellent price point that is hard to beat. I would also add the price point for extra straps is exceptional and they are very well made too.

5. Historical significance. The current Stowa Flieger is a modern interpretation, but we can trace its roots back to the original design. Its fun to tell people the history behind it.

6. Lume! Very good on the Stowa Flieger.

7. Customer Service is one of (if not), the best out there. Period! This can not even be argued! Not to mention the owner of the company has good rapport with the WUS community.

8. Highly versatile!

9. Ability to modify the design before purchase. (I.e. date, no date, label, handwind movement, engraving.).

Therefore, it is because of these points that I believe the Stowa Flieger has built up such a strong and dedicated following.
    As per the Gold Standard, I would argue that many of the German pilot watches (similar iconic design) are constantly compared to the 40 mm Stowa Flieger! That is how I came to know about Stowa myself.

Many of the other Fliegers watches out there fail in one of the aspects that the STOWA exceeds. (Listed 1-9)
    For example, many of them do not have real blued hands. But heat blued hands add soooo much to the watch!

And yes, you could say a huge 45 mm Flieger from I.e. Laco is very authentic.
    But, I would say that you would still sell many more 40mm Stowa Fliegers. This watch could be worn just as easily to a business meeting as hiking in the woods.

The only downside is the wait, but even this has some advantages!

b.
    Last edited by MasterBlaster300; August 30th, 2013 at 03:15.
    harrym71, Bojan Rudan and watchvic like this.
    Omega Speedmaster Professional, 3570.5....!
    The one and only MoonWatch!!
    Omega 2220.8 SMP Luv it!
    MM300, Iconic Seiko Diver
    Doxa 1200t Pro Luv it!!!!

Definitely hard to say that one flieger has all others beat. With so many out there, where one is lacking, another shines. You're going to find that a Laco flieger, is too hardcore authentic for some, while this will be the reason a lot of others will buy them. You will find that some value a dressier more bespoke flieger, and at that point, a lot of Tourby fliegers will be sold. Some value a different kind of history, a 100 year case making history, and more options in a flieger, therefore a lot of Archimede fliegers will be sold (currently the XLH is sold out). So, again, what matters in a flieger to some may be of no importance to others. Just good to have so many high quality German made fliegers to choose from. If variety is truly the spice of life, than life is good for all lovers of pilot watches!
    Last edited by CM HUNTER; August 30th, 2013 at 03:56.

It's a fabled design, that is aesthetically appealing, and with great legibility. Stowa's history, as an original maker of the flieger, is something that is rarely found in this price range.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Dont care much about the historical aspect. I got the flieger mainly because it got the clean simple look. And the most legible dial day or night. :)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information