FO #30 arrived

Thread: FO #30 arrived

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FO #30 arrived

As one of those waiting for the last of the FOs, I decided to accept it with the standard balance bridge until Stowa sorts out/sources new golden balance bridges. At that time I'll return it and have the bridge swapped out. I've waited with great anticipation for so long I just wanted to have the watch and enjoy it now, while they get the other bridges made. I must say, I'm glad I have it.

My review will be Q&D--you've already seen pictures, and maybe I'll get some up later with it on the Omega mesh bracelet (which I know isn't to some tastes, but it's nice to have a watch on a bracelet sometimes).

The lume is stunningly bright--I've never seen anything like it. The dial is perfect, spotless, very, very precisely printed, and the inner part of the bezel gloriously brushed to give an amazing sheen. The hands are PERFECT--the bluing is brilliant, and the polish on it is pristine. I have a personal peeve about hands that have marks, smudges, dust, etc. on them, and these are PERFECT. The dial absolutely pops from a distance as well. Oh, and the domed crystal is wonderful to have.

Peter was right about the case--very fine brushing that matches the best. I'd agree that it rivals IWC (no little polished touches, however) in its finish. Color me impressed--there is nothing about this watch that hasn't seen very careful attention from Stowa.

The movement finish looks great. I think it will be nice to have the golden bridge, as it's distinctive and will add a little different area of interest.

I find the straps very nice indeed, and the Stowa buckle quite heavy and solid. The extra strap is quite cool--functions like the Di-Modell Tornado or Kobold Explorer strap, although it's probably lighter than the latter.

Keep on, keeping on all of you still waiting. It really is worth it, I promise. Despite the delays, Herr Schauer has really put his heart into this watch and it shows. No detail was overlooked, and it feels great to know that a watch at this price level has received attention watches 2-3 times more expensive have never seen.

Best wishes,
    Daniel
    Last edited by expwmbat; July 30th, 2008 at 17:12.

Re: FO #30 arrived

Daniel,
    As one of the ones excited for it to arrive in its original design, completed, thank you for sharing your observations and enjoyment of the beautifully crafted FOLE.

Glen

Great to hear your happy with your FO, congratulations. Looking forward to your pics.
    Can't wait for the serial AOs to come out.

Cheers, Pat

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No problem. I've suffered waiting for a while, and it really is a relief to know that the watch is still worth the wait.

A couple of observations. First, the paperwork that comes with the watch indicates that the hacking mechanism cannot be precisely set to stop exactly at 12/60. Mine stops just a fraction of a second after 12, maybe 1/4 second past or so. No biggie, IMHO. Second, the winding and setting is very smooth and precise. I have also found, for the last hour and a half, that the minute hand/dial has no eccentricity whatsoever. What I mean is that having set the minute hand precisely on the minute marker it continues to split every single marker down the middle thereafter. Wonderful!

The second hand is also a joy to watch with the slow-beat movement, and you can actually watch the minute hand move in slow steps as well. Timing seems excellent so far--spot on, but still early.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Glad you are having so much fun with it.

It will be interesting to read your observations of other movie-goer's reactions to the well-charged lume while in the movie theater ...

Quote Originally Posted by inlanding View Post
    Glad you are having so much fun with it.

It will be interesting to read your observations of other movie-goer's reactions to the well-charged lume while in the movie theater ...
    It would be disruptive for sure. I've never seen lume like it before. But not to worry--we never go to movies as it's too expensive, people are annoying and we have a baby

When I get a chance (i.e. finish writing my current chapter), I'll post some pictures and a comparison with my RGM 150e which shares a similar case and movement.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Yes, I am a bit of a lume-junky. However, I do use the watch at night, so a very well-lit dial and hands, especially the second hand is quite important. Look forward to the images!

You will not be disappointed in the FO lume. Guaranteed.

The other great thing is that despite the great lume the numbers and markers have a nice cream color to them--not bright white, not green (except when charged, which I suppose is fairly often). The cream enhances the vintage feel of the watch.

Cheers,
    Daniel

Congratulations, Daniel, from no. 38/80.

Glad the watch is bringing you so much joy!
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Congrats on finally receiving your FO. It has definitely been a long wait, but well worth it. I would definitely send it back for the golden bridge because it adds some nice character to the watch that the serial watch won't have.

I would love to see pics of the new strap. Jörg hasn't put it up on the website yet.

I agree the lume is top notch. I like the cream color as well.

I have been wearing mine often. The other watches have seen little time on the wrist because I like this watch that much.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information