FO movement finish and second hand length

Thread: FO movement finish and second hand length

FO movement finish and second hand length

Hello all,

I'm a watch(mostly vintage) lover and enjoy reading discussion on this forum over one year. Especially, I enjoyed FO LE topics.

Now, as a potential STOWA owner who is on reservation list of Serial FO since last year, let me post some topics which I wanted to hear your opinions.

1. Movement finish
    I noticed that width of Geneva stripe on FO movement is quite wider than that of MO.
    This might be an idea of Mr. Schauer to make the movement looks closer to the original.
    Then, why not apply the stripe in 45 degree angle against spring bar? By this way, the movement might look more authentic. please see attached picture for comparison.

2. Second hand.
    I read some discussion on this forum regarding the thickness of luminous on the second hand. I agree, it looks more sharp or thin compared with historical pieces or current STOWA automatic models.
    Another point I noticed is the length of unluminoused tail. It is somewhat short compared with historical pieces with same design(diamond end) or even shorter than that of current STOWA automatic models.
    I appreciate the fact that the watch looks more modern or dressy as a result of modest tail length,but one of the distinctive characteristics of B-uhr might be missed.....

How is your thought?

Best regards,

Piccolo
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Piccolo8; July 23rd, 2008 at 11:21.

stuffler,mike

Re: FO movement finish and second hand length

First of all: Welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum and welcome to Watchuseek as well.

Regarding your questions:
    Just my humble opinion: Don't change the horses within a race. You can't re-consider your orders (of parts, movements etc etc) within the order and delivery process.
    If you do - and hopefully Jörg will not - you will delay all orders which isn't a good idea at all.
    As I said: Just my two cents.

Your points are well observed, Piccolo, but the FO LE differs from the original in a number of respects (case size and shape, font ...) so that I think the two improvements by you don't really change the picture.

Have a look at this project https://forums.watchuseek.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288 to achieve maximum authenticity; the Stowa FO LE does not follow the original with the same rigor. There is an element of Jörg's ingenuity and artistic license involved in its creation, which makes the watch something special in my eyes.

The Laco Baumuster B is a great project, but it has taken a different course from Jörg's FO project. Those two courses don't mix and match, IMHO.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your comments and a warm welcome.

I didn't mean to ask Mr. Schauer to change any features of Serial FO, but just wanted to convince myself with the thoughts of yours(Other differeincial points like font, case size, shape, I didn't care or liked Mr. Schauer's ingenuity.)

I was bit curious why nobody pointed out these when the details of FO were launched last year. Now I learned why.

I totally agree with Mike's opinion, because I know once Mr. Schauer changed his horse(=case back structure) and it caused some delay.

Crusader's comment really convinced me as well.

Same as many others on the earlier list, I wish I could get the watch before Christmas!

Best regards,

Piccolo

Good things come to those who wait.

I may be biased, but to some extent Jörg Schauer's purchase and preservatuon of the Stowa brand makes this company very special for me, especially as he runs it in parallel with Schauer watches.

Piccolo, since you are in the area, keep an eye out for our Watchuseek Rhein-Main-Area meetings (about once or twice a year) usually announced on Pil-Mil and German Watches fora.

Come to think of it, Mike, are you by any chance back in the area before proceeding to London?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Good things come to those who wait.

Piccolo, since you are in the area, keep an eye out for our Watchuseek Rhein-Main-Area meetings (about once or twice a year) usually announced on Pil-Mil and German Watches fora.
    Crusader, thank you for the information on another interesting forums!:thanks

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Come to think of it, Mike, are you by any chance back in the area before proceeding to London?
    I'll let you know. If I remember correctly I will have some appointments in the Rhein-Main-area in the 34th week, pretty close though.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    I'll let you know. If I remember correctly I will have some appointments in the Rhein-Main-area in the 34th week, pretty close though.
    34th week sounds great ... please keep John and me updated if there is an opportunity for a farewell drink and watch-watching get-together.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Thread Information