is this a geniune stowa???

Thread: is this a geniune stowa???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Re: is this a geniune stowa???

I was wondering the same thing. It is a nice design.
    We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful what we pretend to be. Kurt Vonnegut, Mother Night
    US novelist (1922-2007)

Unless otherwise noted, the graphic images, pictures, artwork, layout, and text contained in this post is the exclusive property of the author, or used with permission and may not be copied or distributed, in whole or in part, without the express written consent of Recht. Furthermore, the author reserves the exclusive right to edit, modify, add, or delete any part or portion of the post at any time.

stuffler,mike

Can´t say.

What I can say is that it wasn´t that unusual to mount pocket watch movements into wrist watches.

What I can also contribute is that i don´t know of any STOWA REGULATEUR which was officially issued to the German Army or Air Force (Luftwaffe) and I doubt that such a watch could have been of any benefit to a pilot.

Konrad Knirim, an expert on WW II military time pieces, does not mention a Regulateur to have been officially issued in his book on Military Timepieces.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm no expert - far from it - but it looks like a pretty bad redial to me.

My limited experience tells me that Ukrainian sellers with a constant stream of unusual WWII watches in surprisingly good shape are usually Frankenmasters :)

On a related note, what do you guys think of this one: eBay 160241615102? It seems strange that a watch produced for the French army would be lacking the appropriate accents on 'armée' and 'Française'. It also seems that the movement is too small or there is a spacer ring missing. But I don't know these things well. Any insights?

Update: Actually, it appears that Cap'n Canuck here has one that looks precisely like this one, so I may stand corrected. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ht=french+army

Cap'n? Does the 'Bay auction I posted look legit to you?
    Last edited by optimuscrime; May 18th, 2008 at 05:44.

Quote Originally Posted by optimuscrime View Post
    On a related note, what do you guys think of this one: eBay... ...It seems strange that a watch produced for the French army would be lacking the appropriate accents on 'armée' and 'Française'. It also seems that the movement is too small or there is a spacer ring missing. But I don't know these things well. Any insights?

Update: Actually, it appears that Cap'n Canuck here has one that looks precisely like this one, so I may stand corrected. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...ht=french+army

Cap'n? Does the 'Bay auction I posted look legit to you?
    The one on the bay looks original, similar to Capt. Canuck's. About the French accents on the caseback inscription: Ref. Konrad Knirim in the chapter for the use of German watches by the Alliance post WW2, it is shown on page 461 the exact same Stowa model. There are also pictures two Hanhart pocket chronographs. All three have caseback inscription "ARMEE FRANCAISE", non of them with accents.

Erik_H
    Last edited by Erik_H; May 18th, 2008 at 07:01. Reason: Spelling

I often scan ebay for old Stowa watches (never buy just look) there are usually one or two Ukranian sellers trying to sell what, to me anyway, look very ropey fakes.

Hi -

At first I was going to equivocate by saying I can't be 100% sure, but after looking once again at the pictures, I can firmly state that this is about as blatant a fake as I have seen in a long time.

The "S" in Stowa is wrong; the base metal case is poorly painted black; the movement is not labelled "Stowa" or anything else; there is no "D...H" for the German army; the movement is in dire straits (look at the position of the fine regulator, way off the scale at "F", Stowa never, ever made a regulator (and the French "Regulateur" would have never been used on a German watch from the purported time period.

I have a simple rule, given the number of simply outrageous fakes and frankenwatches (watches put together from various parts) from the Ukraine: just don't even contemplate it.

This watch has nothing to do with Stowa besides abusing the name. They can't even get the shape of the "S" in Stowa right, let alone anything else.

Black PVD watches are a function of the 1970s and later: I'm wearing, right now, a very battered Enicar Sherpa OPS from that time period, and I've not seen a poorer, more faked finish than you can see from the watch you link to. Looks like someone used enamel paint left over from making a plastic model to make this one look "cool".

Sorry if I've been harsh, but this is completely over the top bad.

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    The one on the bay looks original, similar to Capt. Canuck's. About the French accents on the caseback inscription: Ref. Konrad Knirim in the chapter for the use of German watches by the Alliance post WW2, it is shown on page 461 the exact same Stowa model. There are also pictures two Hanhart pocket chronographs. All three have caseback inscription "ARMEE FRANCAISE", non of them with accents.

Erik_H
    Yes, that one is just like the one I own, and is also in excellent condition.

One thing to note - a small point - is that at some stage the strap (while original) seems to have been tampered with a bit. On my strap the metal clips are not exposed, and the brown leather underside is not visible.

It's a small watch, but really nicely put together IMO. I never wear it due to the size, but I do enjoy it nonetheless.

Glad I checked this out too. Looked like a neat collectors piece. Good to know it's bogus and I can save my money like I should

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information