German watch newb :-)

Thread: German watch newb :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German watch newb :-)

The usual story....bought a watch recently and with my ocd that's all she wrote. Intrigued by all the pilot style watches, I've been on a Damasko waiting list...you know how that goes.

Long story short....out of all the brands of watches here @ WUS I've been drawn to Stowa most (besides Damasko). Have little clue why....I know very little about watches especially automatics so it must be looks, lume, and size (I have a thin wrist).

I've never owned an auto, but plan to order a Stowa as funds become available this month. Have gone to Stowa's site and went through the order process...just have not submitted yet.

Question
    : I would like an Airman with date, but would rather have black hands instead of the temp treated blue (is that right??). There is no option anywhere to specify this. Is it as simple as sending them an email?

Thanks and look forward to owning a watch like this.

Re: German watch newb :-)

Your choice in Stowa is a good one.

What is it that about the blackened hands that you find more attractive? The blued ones really only appear blue when the light reflects on them just right - otherwise they look black. The blue might be a throw-back to a different era and that is why they are included as standard. You really won't be disappointed in seeing them on the watch - it does give it a bit more personality.

If you really want the completely black hands on the Airman, just specify it and that is what you'll receive.

You must share you enthusiasm once you receive the watch by posting images...otherwise, we won't think it really happened

Can't really put my finger on it. I just like the looks of black hands. The edge of the hands seem to disappear into the dial....have seen a pic here @ WUS with them and it spoke to me.

I might change my mind if I saw one in person...I'm just going on the pictures I have seen here.

Being a Stowa, I'm sure I would not mind the original hands.

If I were to go with the black, are they the exact same hands (Ikarus?) just painted black? (glossy?)

I will post images I assure you. Photography is another one of my obsessions!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think you should go with the standard blued hands. They really do appear to disappear into the dial most of the time anyway. But then when the light hits them just right - they have a pure, metallic blue reflection. Quite interesting, really, much more than the plain old run of the mill black hands, if not just more authentic.

Thanks for the picture! mhmm that lume is sweet! I have 2 weeks to decide...I'll update soon.

very nice lume shot!!!!!!

+1 for the blue hands. The lume on the airman is out of this world, and the blue hands are AWESOME! The blue is crisp, deep and subtle. I really think you would like it.

Go read up on some of the threads here in the Stowa forum using the search function. If you want a flieger, I think they are your best bet. Such beautiful watches they make, and I don't think anyone is more responsive and stand-up than Jorg.

Quote Originally Posted by Cursor View Post
    Go read up on some of the threads here in the Stowa forum using the search function. If you want a flieger, I think they are your best bet. Such beautiful watches they make, and I don't think anyone is more responsive and stand-up than Jorg.
    Yea I have read many threads :thanks.

I'm excited about getting one and I have read nothing but praise about their customer service which is rare this day and age. The owner as well seems genuinely involved in the entire watchmaking process.

The blued hands are looking good to me with every new picture I see of the airman.

Quote Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
    Yea I have read many threads :thanks.

I'm excited about getting one and I have read nothing but praise about their customer service which is rare this day and age. The owner as well seems genuinely involved in the entire watchmaking process.

The blued hands are looking good to me with every new picture I see of the airman.
    Which one? Are you going to go "whole hog" and spend the big bucks to get the FO with swan neck regulator or are you going to stick with the more affordable auto with date?Which finish to get is another big question--I think most people prefer brushed as it's easier to cover up scratches later. To COSC or not to COSC as well. I have got to tell you that these are all decisions that you need to look at carefully so that you are proud every time you wear the thing.

Myself, I'd probably go with the brushed COSC auto with date. I could go either way on logo/no logo.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information