Got email for FO Serial but cannot decide

Thread: Got email for FO Serial but cannot decide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Got email for FO Serial but cannot decide

Just got an email from Viveca that I can order my FO Serial now. The long wait is finally over! But I cannot decide wether I should get a glass back or solid back. It seems that everyone is getting glass back but a solid back is more fitting for the historical watch. And I am wondering if anyone is getting a basic movement. It saves over $200 but without so called "swan neg regulator". All the photos so far seems to be the ones with the Swan neg regulator. I have not seen a photo of so called basic movement yet. Also it seems there is option to choice old style straps vs new "Airman Original" straps. Quite a few people complained about the length of the new straps. My wrist is only 6.75 inches. I guess I have to settle for the old style or will it fit for the new straps?. Oh well, I have up to 7 days to make up my mind on various options. Thank you in advance for your input.

NEG

Re: Got email for FO Serial but cannot decide

I went for glass back because I feel that a movement as beautiful as the one in the FO should be seen....but it's your choice.

There is a pic. of the 'plain' movement on the Stowa FO page:

If you wanted to save a few $$$ then, yes, go for the solid case back and none swan neck movment.

I went for the new strap and on my 7.5" wrist I'm using the third from last hole, yes they are large. One thing I find is this strap is not at all comfortable so I will be swapping it out, probably for one of the Timefactor aviator straps...

Glad to know another Serial watch is coming out! Definitely it is your decision but here are my suggestions.

1. Case back
    Solid back for Serial watch is not true to the original, because it has outside engravings. It doesn't look right to my eye.

2. Swan neck regulator
    is nothing to do with the accuracy of the movement but it is eye pleasing. Also I didn't like the look of basic movement because of its sank area for regulator pin without Geneva stripe finish.

3. Strap
    Stowa may offer you the watch without a strap but with a buckle, with 20EUR deduction. Or you may choose other STOWA straps like Nappa leather 29EUR or Croco 130EUR by paying difference of 9EUR or 110EUR.
    I love to see these combos.

Best wishes,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mine is coming with the display back for all of the reasons already mentioned. All of my German watches have display backs, so , in addition to wanting to see this beautiful movement, I also wanted the continue the common theme in my collection. This is not a cost-effective solution, but you can always ask for both to be shipped to you, so you can change it up a bit.

Humm, then I should be receiving my tool too!

Maybe I can help in your decision. I have the FO and kept the display back on the watch. The movement is too beautifull to close it with a metal back.
    I like the fact that I have also the solid caseback with the original style engraving (although on the "wrong" side) so I can show my kids and explain how were the original B-Uhr, but not to use it.
    Also get it with the swan neck, the movement looks much better IMO.
    Last edited by Paulo; October 14th, 2008 at 18:44.

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Redwatch,
    I received the same email two weeks ago and actually changed my mind prior to the final order. Originally I wanted the solid caseback but as most others have mentioned, the movement is a work of art. I'm not a "movement" guy per se but the Stowa team has hit a home run with how it looks- it is stellar. I opted for the display back and purchased the solid caseback as an accessory. I have a 7 in. wrist and chose the old style brown strap as it offers a sharp contrast to the dial/hands and also will fit me correctly as the new strap appears to be a bit too long for us "skinny-wristers". Good luck w/your order- your're close!

Thank you all for your advices. It seems that I should definitely order the watch with Swan Neg regulator. It is much better looking movement with Geneva stripe finish with display back. When you spend over $1000 for a watch already, there is no point trying to save another $100 or $200 to get a lesser movement. If I really want to be "cheap", I could get an Airman Automatic with Logo. In term of straps, I will just order the old style one. Anyway, it should be easy to get a nicer straps somewhere else in the future. Regarding the solid case back, I don't know if I should order one as John Alden did. I sure wish the writing is on the inside of the case back not outside.

Thanks also for the comments about the strap length. I have small wrists and had read some comments elsewhere (I think in Piccolo's post) that the new style strap was too long. Guess I'll have to order the old style for my 6.25-6.5 inch wrists.

Some more information on the strap.

The design of Airman original strap is really attractive and I thought about getting it as a companion collection for my FO. Even for a small wrist, if you wear it over a jacket sleeve, I think it will fit nicely and that is the original idea of such straps.

As for other STOWA straps, here are dimensions which I confirmed with Ms. Hafner.

Brown Nappa with Cream stitching - 120mm x75mm( closest hole to spring bar: 50mm)
    Crocodile - 115mm x70mm

I didn't check the dimension but Ms. Hafner offered short version of Old style straps in black and brown.

These straps may fit on a small wrist with no problem.
    I'm thinking about ordering their Croco in the near future.

Best regards,

Piccolo8, thank you for the info on the straps. I hope the short version of Old Style straps will be available when my watch is ready. There are still two to three weeks of waiting time after I submit the order.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information