got my flieger, just a suggestion...

Thread: got my flieger, just a suggestion...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

got my flieger, just a suggestion...

just got mine today and very happy with it, the only suggestion i would make for stowa is to have an option of having the hands polished, not blued.

mainly i work in an office and the lighting is not sufficient for me to enjoy the blued hands, though it looks great outdoors. and i think the polished hands works better with black dial.

my daily watch is (or used to be) either iwc mk xv or seiko diver.

just my $0.02.

cheers!

rabul.

stuffler,mike

Re: got my flieger, just a suggestion...

Well, it is a Flieger. Polished hands would be hisorically incorrect. Flieger watches have to have blued hands.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Well, it is a Flieger. Polished hands would be hisorically incorrect. Flieger watches have to have blued hands.

Just my two cents.

Agreed
    Rolex GMT Master II BLNR "Batman"
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3573.50
    Omega Seamaster Cosmic c.1968
    Oris Williams F1 Day/Date
    Oris LE 1945 Flight Timer
    Stowa Marine Original
    Stowa 2801 HW Flieger
    Longines Conquest Heritage
    Longines Grande Vitesse GMT Chrono
    Longines Hydroconquest Blue
    Longines 1972 Vintage
    Seiko SKX009
    Seiko SARB017 Alpinist
    Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military
    Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Dual Time

Friends don't let friends buy Invicta

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post

Just my two cents.
    hm, my mkxv has polished hands, it's just that telling time seems much simpler and the dial doesn't look too big. the flieger's second hand is marvellous though.

probably stowa has to have a new line then, like flieger II or whatever.

cheers!

rabul.

I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've often thought about how silver polished hands would be nice, mainly because at a quick glance it can be tough to distinguish between the minute and hour hands when the blue isn't reflecting. I suspect this wasn't as much of a problem on the WWII originals because the dial was so much bigger. They sure do look pretty in bright light, though.

An alternative, from my perspective, would be to increase the lume surface on the minute hand to make it appear longer.

Besides, Stowa has put out versions of the Airman with black (not blue) hands, so there is room for non-traditional interpretation here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansch99 View Post
    I can understand where the OP is coming from. I've often thought about how silver polished hands would be nice, mainly because at a quick glance it can be tough to distinguish between the minute and hour hands when the blue isn't reflecting. I suspect this wasn't as much of a problem on the WWII originals because the dial was so much bigger. They sure do look pretty in bright light, though.

An alternative, from my perspective, would be to increase the lume surface on the minute hand to make it appear longer.

Besides, Stowa has put out versions of the Airman with black (not blue) hands, so there is room for non-traditional interpretation here.
    At no time have I ever mistaken the hour hand for the minute hand...Not sure where you are coming from on that one.

The Ikarus uses black hands - that's perhaps why they are available.

If Stowa somehow mistakenly decided to use sliver polished hands on their fleiger-dialed watches as an option, perhaps the tradition Stowa maintains would lose its meaning.

Glen

What time is it?

I guess I disagree that changing the color of the hands would jeopardize Stowa's tradition.

Besides, it has been done before, and the Ikarus isn't the only one that's used black hands. See the watch reviewed here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...+airman+review

Until Stowa makes a 100% faithful recreation of the WWII watches, compromises are going to be made between staying faithful to the originals and making a watch that people will want to buy today. Some models make more of these compromises than others. Even the "Airman Original" makes compromises (e.g., size, case finish).

I still love my Stowa . . . but changing the size of the hands or their color is just one thing I'd make available to those who want to buy one that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hansch99 View Post
    I guess I disagree that changing the color of the hands would jeopardize Stowa's tradition.

Besides, it has been done before, and the Ikarus isn't the only one that's used black hands. See the watch reviewed here:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthr...+airman+review

Until Stowa makes a 100% faithful recreation of the WWII watches, compromises are going to be made between staying faithful to the originals and making a watch that people will want to buy today. Some models make more of these compromises than others. Even the "Airman Original" makes compromises (e.g., size, case finish).

I still love my Stowa . . . but changing the size of the hands or their color is just one thing I'd make available to those who want to buy one that way.

To each their own opinion, likes/dislikes. That is the beauty of this horological madness, eh?

Glen

Personally I love the look of those blued hands when the light catches it just right...

Polished hands would be comparatively bland imo.

But at the end of the day everyone has their preferences. If you would prefer polished hands, and are prepared to pay for it, I'm sure Jorg or a 3rd party can accommodate you.

today i went out when it was raining and looked at how the blued hands reflected against the cloudy day. it was beautiful indeed, but the reflection of the sunlight was on my face.

don't get me wrong, i fully aware when ordering that i will have this issue, i still love the watch. i don't want another flieger with polished hands since i have my mk xv. when thinking about history or tradition of the b-uhr, i applaude iwc for making the spitfire line. i don't like them personally, but the line opens up a whole new range of customer for them.

maybe, it's just a suggestion to joerg, stowa should look at the old drawing of w. stortz, the old master might have a concept of a flieger that was thrown out by the luftwaffe and came up with a new line, i.e. die stortze fliegeruhr or something.

hope it's useful.

cheers!

rabul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information