HE valve question

Thread: HE valve question

HE valve question

Hypothetical question/situation.....Two Prodiver watches,one with HE valve and the other without (mine) are in a dive situation where Helium gets into both watches. What happens to mine? Both are dive rated exactly the same so why would it be an advantage to have the HE valve? As you can tell,ime not a diver,lol. -Andy

Re: HE valve question

snootydog

The helium escape valve comes into play during a saturation dive such as a diving bell where the divers are breathing mixed gases both in the bell and in their tanks. These are very deep dives. The helium valve comes into play when the diving bell is being raised. The escape valve allows the helium that has penetrated the watch to escape. A watch with out the escape valve that has been in this enviroment would pop the crystal during decompression.

A sport diver does not have to worry about this. Hope this helps.

One thing you can do if you do not have an HEV is to just unscrew the crown during the ascent. Does the same thing, just "manually."
    Lots of dive watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I must still be missing something here though,lol. If my Prodiver is rated at 1000m with no HE valve why is the Prodiver with an HE valve also depth rated the same? Or,is it possible to dive to 1000m without it being a "saturation dive"? -Andy

Quote Originally Posted by snootydog View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I must still be missing something here though,lol. If my Prodiver is rated at 1000m with no HE valve why is the Prodiver with an HE valve also depth rated the same? Or,is it possible to dive to 1000m without it being a "saturation dive"? -Andy
    Well, I don't think anyone dives to 1000m - the pressure would be too intense, and I imagine at that depth it would be quite dark. Perhaps research submersibles (with cameras) go that deep. Even military submarines have a limit of 800 feet (well they can go deeper, but its "classified" and I doubt its 1000m/3300ft). It depends whether its a sat dive or a regular dive, and as the thread already suggests, depth ratings in high end watches are absurdly high, but its all about the "adventuristic appeal" to the buyer.

To answer your question, the resistance to pressure from the outside-in to give it the 1000M rating is really opposite that of what the HEV does, which is to relieve pressure going the other way (inside-out) when the diving vessel ascends and the atmospheric pressure is adjusted I believe.
    Lots of dive watches.

Thread Information