heat/humidity question - Page 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: heat/humidity question

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    This is kinda on topic.... if it develops an odor, which can happen from wearing in the humid weather, try cleaning it with some vinegar. Put some on a cloth and wipe. Rinse well after.
    martyINaustin likes this.

Re: heat/humidity question

Quote Originally Posted by martyINaustin View Post
    2. i have been twisting the crown a lot 'cause it's so fun however i don't know if that is
    causing an issue or not. the crown freely turns and seems to be "ok".

i have had it off the wrist and winder since yesterday afternoon and it does seem to be
    more "stable."
    You have it on a winder AND you are handwinding it?
    You have a bigger problem than possible magnetization - I recommend you do some Googling about the likelihood of damage to ETA 2824-2 calibers from excessive handwinding (there are many posts on WUS, some by watchmakers, showing real damage). I have a 2836-2 variant and I avoid handwinding it like the plague, why look for trouble? Just let the winder do its job. If you want to handwind, wind a watch with a handwinding movement like your Khaki (I have 5, including a Khaki).

Edit: A watch on your 98.6 degree wrist probably measures 90 degs. in temperature outside of wintertime. So the brutally hot Austin weather might raise it a few degrees (I used to have to go to Austin on business, happy to have escaped that). I don't think your timing variation is heat-induced. Good luck.
    Last edited by whineboy; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:04. Reason: Just realized OP has a Khaki handwinder.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    You have it on a winder AND you are handwinding it?
    You have a bigger problem than possible magnetization - I recommend you do some Googling about the likelihood of damage to ETA 2824-2 calibers from excessive handwinding (there are many posts on WUS, some by watchmakers, showing real damage). I have a 2836-2 variant and I avoid handwinding it like the plague, why look for trouble? Just let the winder do its job. If you want to handwind, wind a watch with a handwinding movement like your Khaki (I have 5, including a Khaki).

Edit: A watch on your 98.6 degree wrist probably measures 90 degs. in temperature outside of wintertime. So the brutally hot Austin weather might raise it a few degrees (I used to have to go to Austin on business, happy to have escaped that). I don't think your timing variation is heat-induced. Good luck.
    well i have it on the winder when not wearing it but when i am wearing it i find i give it a twist here
    and there. my problem as a new watch enthusiast is i don't know how "powered up" the watch is at
    any given time, so i was trying to see if i could "max" it out little by little. i never got to a point
    where it stopped turning easily however i see your point and i'll stop fiddling. thanks!

marty

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

well i have it on the winder when not wearing it but when i am wearing it i find i give it a twist here
    and there. my problem as a new watch enthusiast is i don't know how "powered up" the watch is at
    any given time, so i was trying to see if i could "max" it out little by little. i never got to a point
    where it stopped turning easily however i see your point and i'll stop fiddling. thanks!

marty
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Let me offer a few suggestions.

First, never wind a watch while it's worn on your wrist, the general wisdom I've read is that this puts unnecessary stress on the stem (the rod that holds the crown) and case seal. Better to take it off to wind it.

Second - your watch has an ETA 2824-2 movement, which has a power reserve of 38 hours, meaning that when fully-wound and left sitting still off the winder it can run another 38+ hours before stopping (my experience is that most watches run around 10% longer than their advertised power reserve). To get a better idea of how wearing translates into winding, try this. Let the watch come to a dead stop through non use. Then, put it on for an hour and go about your normal activities. Then, take it off, set it to 12:00 (am/pm doesn't matter) and put it down, off the winder, and wait to see when it stops running. That gives you an idea of how much winding you get from an hour of wear. FWIW, my ETA 2836-2 gives me around 8-9 hours from the first hour of wear. Now, I don't think self-winding is linear, since it's harder to wind a spring as it grows more coiled, so you could do the same test but wear it for six or eight hours (and you really don't have to set it to 12:00 when you take it off, you just have to keep track of how long it runs once you take it off and set it aside). I bet you find that six hours of wear winds the movement fully to its rated 38+ hour PR.

Good luck, you have a great watch!

Edit: you might know that some watches have power reserve complications that show how 'wound' the spring is. There is a bit of debate amongst people whether this feature is better for a mechanical (non-selfwinding) movement or an automatic like yours. I think it belongs on automatics for the very reason you just gave - uncertainty about how 'wound' the watch is. Me, when I wear a handwinder I wind it fully each morning, so I have no need to know how 'wound' it is during the day.
    Last edited by whineboy; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:54. Reason: Power reserve meters
    martyINaustin and praetor47 like this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

love it. yeah, i let it run down so it's ready to try your test!

in the end, this is "fun" to learn and figure out. i have faith in German engineering that my Stowa
    will withstand my ignorance...but just barely!

m.
    JacobC likes this.

love it. yeah, i let it run down so it's ready to try your test!

in the end, this is "fun" to learn and figure out. i have faith in German engineering that my Stowa
    will withstand my ignorance...but just barely!

m.
    When we get that drink we can do a deep dive. Right now I'm writing an article about Raketa's movement development process.
    martyINaustin likes this.

i have 4 stowas in rotation that daily wear in Bangkok Thailand.
    never had an issue with accuracy since 2012.

well the jury appears to be in. magnetism for sure. i let it die down, sit for a few days, and brought
    it back to life. it's running great now. is it fair to say magnetism diminishes over time?

thanks everyone,
    marty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information