Help between Stowa Watches
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Help between Stowa Watches

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help between Stowa Watches

Hi all,

I am new to watches and have become very interested in Stowa watches. 2 in particular caught my eye:

1) The Antea 365
    Antea 365 - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

2) Antea small second silver
    Antea small second silver - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

Would anybody mind helping me figure out the differences between the two (besides the aesthetics)? I did the compare on the Stowa website but I didn't understand much...

Thanks for the help!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Help between Stowa Watches

Welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum. Whatever your choice will be you can't be wrong with any Stowa.

I'd suggest to compare the technical data. You will find out that the "Kleine Sekunde" is a hw watch, movement is an ETA/Peseux 7001, the diameter of the case is 35,5mm. The Antea 365 is fitted with an automatic movement - ETA 2824-2. Case diameter - nomen est omen - is 36,5 mm. So the watches are powered by completely different "engines".
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum. Whatever your choice will be you can't be wrong with any Stowa.

I'd suggest to compare the technical data. You will find out that the "Kleine Sekunde" is a hw watch, movement is an ETA/Peseux 7001, the diameter of the case is 35,5mm. The Antea 365 is fitted with an automatic movement - ETA 2824-2. Case diameter - nomen est omen - is 36,5 mm. So the watches are powered by completely different "engines".
    I did do the compare and I saw what you are talking about. But could you explain, or point me in the direction where I could find out more about these different movements (Peseux 7001 vs ETA 2824-2)? I don't know anything about either.

Thanks

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Have you tried the search function WUS is offering (on the upper right in the black balk) ? Here's just one thread dealing with the Peseux 7001:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/pes...ment-2963.html

I am sure you will find more as well as for the ETA 2824-2 - Tons of information available here on Watchuseek. Have fun flicking through.

You can also have a look into the ranfft database (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements), the best resource I know of. Just search for the movements I mentioned.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I'm no expert, but when I looked into buying a Stowa, I found that both movements have solid reputations with respect to accuracy and reliability. There are better movements, but then you'd have to pay a whole lot more money or perhaps go buy a Seiko. Most good non-Seikos under $1500 use these movements, if I understand correctly.

I own a KS and find the Peseux to be highly accurate. I love the watch; it's my daily wear. I wouldn't chose based on the movements but based on the features and the size. Do you want an auto or a hand wind? Do you want the larger size? A day/date function?

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Have you tried the search function WUS is offering (on the upper right in the black balk) ? Here's just one thread dealing with the Peseux 7001:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f36/pes...ment-2963.html

I am sure you will find more as well as for the ETA 2824-2 - Tons of information available here on Watchuseek. Have fun flicking through.

You can also have a look into the ranfft database (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements), the best resource I know of. Just search for the movements I mentioned.
    Thank you sir, very informative. From what I understand both are reliable, but the Peseux is handwind. What does the term hacking mean?

Quote Originally Posted by DCOmegafan View Post
    I'm no expert, but when I looked into buying a Stowa, I found that both movements have solid reputations with respect to accuracy and reliability. There are better movements, but then you'd have to pay a whole lot more money or perhaps go buy a Seiko. Most good non-Seikos under $1500 use these movements, if I understand correctly.

I own a KS and find the Peseux to be highly accurate. I love the watch; it's my daily wear. I wouldn't chose based on the movements but based on the features and the size. Do you want an auto or a hand wind? Do you want the larger size? A day/date function?
    Well, I am leaning towards the KS because I prefer a smaller size. I would like to have the date function, but size is much more important to me than the date.

You said both have solid reputations. Is the Peseux in the KS just as reliable/ hard as the ETA 2824-2? Many people keep mentioning how much of a workhorse it is, but there seems to be less discussion of the Peseux 7001. Also, do you find the hand wind to be burdensome or does it not take much time/ maintenance?

Hacking means that when you pull the stem out to set the watch, the watch stops. It helps for setting the time super precisely. I don't think not being able to hack is a big deal, since I can still set the time precisely enough any way. It doesn't matter to me that I can't set the time to exactly what's on my atomic G-shock.

The Peseux is not nearly as common as the ETA 2824, which is why it's harder to find information on it. The 2824 is what you'll find in almost every non-Japanese automatic watch, at least any watch that's any good. I suppose the Peseux is smaller and maybe even cheaper, but nothing I've read suggests that it's in any way inferior. It's just different. And reliable. And no, I don't mind hand winding. I like it. It's a few seconds every morning, and I think that it has roughly 30 hours of a power reserve, although I really don't know. I can't help you re: size and date. Sometimes I honestly wish I had one of the new day/date ones. I don't think the Anteas with just the date are as pretty. Sometimes I think I want an auto, because I think it's neat. I don't yearn for anything bigger than the KS, however.

What I like most about the KS is also true of the other Anteas, at least the ones with the silver dials: the blued hands, the font, and the silver dial that always has a slightly different look depending on the light. These are watches for people who appreciate delicate subtleties.

For the sake of full disclosure, I bought the KS because I could afford it and not the larger Anteas, but I never felt that the KS was a consolation. I never felt that it was a compromise. I suppose I never even paid the others much attention. I confess to having been very tempted by the Seiko SARB035 (the movement of which is probably the at least as good as the 2824), but I chose the Stowa KS over the Seiko because the Stowa has character and class few watches can match. The only way one can beat Stowas in terms of the class/price ratio is by buying something like a vintage Omega, or maybe one of those Max Bill watches.

Any way, here's the deal: don't sweat the Peseux. It's fine. Ditto the 2824. Don't worry about handwind versus auto. Buy which ever sings to you. They're both great.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyer View Post
    Thank you sir, very informative. From what I understand both are reliable, but the Peseux is handwind. What does the term hacking mean?

Well, I am leaning towards the KS because I prefer a smaller size. I would like to have the date function, but size is much more important to me than the date.

You said both have solid reputations. Is the Peseux in the KS just as reliable/ hard as the ETA 2824-2? Many people keep mentioning how much of a workhorse it is, but there seems to be less discussion of the Peseux 7001. Also, do you find the hand wind to be burdensome or does it not take much time/ maintenance?
    Bwana1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DCOmegafan View Post
    Hacking means that when you pull the stem out to set the watch, the watch stops. It helps for setting the time super precisely. I don't think not being able to hack is a big deal, since I can still set the time precisely enough any way. It doesn't matter to me that I can't set the time to exactly what's on my atomic G-shock.

The Peseux is not nearly as common as the ETA 2824, which is why it's harder to find information on it. The 2824 is what you'll find in almost every non-Japanese automatic watch, at least any watch that's any good. I suppose the Peseux is smaller and maybe even cheaper, but nothing I've read suggests that it's in any way inferior. It's just different. And reliable. And no, I don't mind hand winding. I like it. It's a few seconds every morning, and I think that it has roughly 30 hours of a power reserve, although I really don't know. I can't help you re: size and date. Sometimes I honestly wish I had one of the new day/date ones. I don't think the Anteas with just the date are as pretty. Sometimes I think I want an auto, because I think it's neat. I don't yearn for anything bigger than the KS, however.

What I like most about the KS is also true of the other Anteas, at least the ones with the silver dials: the blued hands, the font, and the silver dial that always has a slightly different look depending on the light. These are watches for people who appreciate delicate subtleties.

For the sake of full disclosure, I bought the KS because I could afford it and not the larger Anteas, but I never felt that the KS was a consolation. I never felt that it was a compromise. I suppose I never even paid the others much attention. I confess to having been very tempted by the Seiko SARB035 (the movement of which is probably the at least as good as the 2824), but I chose the Stowa KS over the Seiko because the Stowa has character and class few watches can match. The only way one can beat Stowas in terms of the class/price ratio is by buying something like a vintage Omega, or maybe one of those Max Bill watches.

Any way, here's the deal: don't sweat the Peseux. It's fine. Ditto the 2824. Don't worry about handwind versus auto. Buy which ever sings to you. They're both great.
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Now to figure out whether to go leather or metal strap

This is really very much a personal decision. I spent a number of weeks considering the merits of each and eventually chose the KS. I have been very happy with it. It was my first hand-winding watch, and I found that I strongly prefer this kind of movement. I also came to really like the date-less dial. These realizations dawned on me after spending some time wearing the KS, however, and if I chose the 365 instead I might now be writing about how much I like it.

There is one other major difference between the models that is worth considering. The dials of the two watches are sized very similarly (the KS is only 1 mm smaller than the 365), but the 365 is 2.3 mm thicker than the KS. This added heft might make the 365 more versatile, if you are planning on wearing it casually.

The blued hands, incidentally, are indeed amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by rugbyer View Post
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it. Now to figure out whether to go leather or metal strap
    The conventional wisdom is to buy the metal first since there is a wide range of aftermarket leather straps one can purchase at any time and any price point. Heck, I've been wearing my KS on a NATO this summer, which I bought for maybe $10. The KS I bought came with the standard Stowa black leather strap. I bought it with leather only because I bought off of the Timezone sale corner and wasn't in a position to limit myself to one or the other. It's a fine strap. Nothing special, but fine. That said, I'm still not sure how I feel about the milanese strap. I think it's one of those things you have to see and wear to know if it's right.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information