History of the Marine Original and a silly little question

Thread: History of the Marine Original and a silly little question

History of the Marine Original and a silly little question

Hi everyone,

I've been searching for a nice watch for some time and after a while of searching (mostly pilot style) the marine original has come out of nowhere to completely catch my eye.

It probably started after I viewed some of the Dornblueth watches : x Anyways I'm really keen to join that pre-order but at the same time I'm wondering, what's the history behind the marine original that lends its name 'Original'?

And I have a somewhat silly question, I've been looking at the pics on the Marine Original, and is there any lume applied to the watch at all? The finish looks flawless...

Re: History of the Marine Original and a silly little question

Dunno why it is called "Original", but at one point a year or more ago there was a Marine with central seconds and no date and then there was a Marine with small 6-eater subseconds. The did away with the one with sub seconds and added a date to the central seconds model. Now they've come back out with the sub seconds model. That's about all i know.

There's no lume on it that I'm aware of, at least not on my Marine Date. Hope this helps some.

Matt

Possible reasons

I believe it is called the Marine Original because it resembles the Klasse II deck chronometer Stowa (along with six other watch brands) manufactured for the Kriegsmarine ("war navy") from the early 1940's. It has the second subdial located at 6 o'clock, and runs on an Unitas pocket watch movement (Unitas), both like the original.

If you compare the new MO with the original from the 1940's, you will find they have the exact same fonts, same hands, same subdial layout (the original has a slightly larger subdial), same railroad track minute ring. On the movement, they both use Unitas with screw balance and swan neck regulator.

The original was a pocket watch at 60mm, the MO is a wrist watch at 41mm. I thought Jorg did an excellent job in crafting a modern reinterpretation of the original, while resisting the urge to add unneeded complication.

There is no lume on the MO, unlike the original, which had a luminous dial.

Hope that answers some of your questions, I am sure Jorg will have a better answer that what I have here.

Sincerely,

Gordon

Thread Information