How long does US Customs get to play with my new watch? - Page 5
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How long does US Customs get to play with my new watch?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Re: How long does US Customs get to play with my new watch?

So this morning, I woke up to this email exchange between Sarah and Fed Ex. It sounds like Sarah didn't read my email to her advising that I had asked that the watch be returned to Stowa so we can try again, with or without the crocodile strap. I chimed in with a "Reply All, which I'll paste below this exchange.

edited by mod, all e-mails deleted for privacy reasons. Please make sure Sarah/Stowa and Fedex agree to the disclosure of their emails

Frankly, I'm just happy that after three weeks plus someone at Fed Ex is finally paying attention. Sounds like something's going to happen soon, one way or the other.

Edit: oops, sorry about that. Mike, I'll PM you to make sure I've got clarity on the rules.
    Last edited by DowningB; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:12.

Quote Originally Posted by DowningB View Post
    Just got a phone call from Fed Ex.

Apparently, the problem is the crocodile strap that I elected to have Stowa put on the watch.
    California just banned the sale of alligator products. I think it's made the process more strict for everyone. I just had peter watchacc make a custom alligator strap for me and he now just marks them as calf leather with alligator pattern. I saw that Panerai and others now wont sell the watches on alligator in California.

The custom alligator is a tan color called Burly Wood and it's for my Flieger Chronograph. It just cleared customs and is on its way.

What a mess. Turns out that some of the emails that were sent by Sarah at Stowa, either to me or to Fed Ex, were going to my Junk Folder so I didn't see them.

Here's the latest update, starting with yesterday when I got a phone call from a Fed Ex rep advising that the problem was the crocodile strap and that I had two choices: they could toss the strap and send the watch to me or they could send it back to Fed Ex. I didn't want a perfectly good croc going into the trash so I asked that the watch be returned to Stowa. I then emailed Sarah to let her know what was happening.

This morning when I checked my email I had a bunch of emails going back and forth between Fed Ex and Fed Ex and Fed Ex and Sarah. Fed Ex was telling her the watch was being returned to Stowa at my request. Sarah was telling them that there must be a miscommunication and to send the watch to me. What I didn't know was that Sarah had resent the paperwork sometime during this exchange to the Fed Ex rep because that was one of the emails that went to my Junk folder. So I chimed in and said that if they had the paperwork and could send the watch + strap to me that would be my obvious preference.

The original Fed Ex rep also sent an email to another Fed Ex rep asking if she could take over because he wasn't sure what to tell us. He also told her that the package had been approved for return to sender. For whatever reason he didn't include Sarah in that email so I chimed in again asking that Sarah be included and that if they really did have the paperwork, as Sarah insists, then please send the watch + strap to me.

As of this evening, it's been radio silence ever since. I haven't heard anything from either Fed Ex rep, so I have no idea what the status is at this point. It may be approved for shipment to me (doubtful). It may be on its way back to Germany (more likely). Or it may be just sitting around the Fed Ex facility gathering dust as it has been for over three weeks now (most likely).

I also have a number of emails in my Junk folder from Stowa that are all in German. I'm going to go run them through a Google translator to see if they shed any more light on this.

As of this evening, I haven't heard from anyone and most likely won't until Thursday at the earliest.

Happy New Year!
    Last edited by DowningB; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:37.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Take my advice : Buy american.

Day 24. Same status, I think.

This morning there was another email exchange between Sarah of Stowa and the Fed Ex guy we've been dealing with. She sent him a copy of the paperwork. His response was that Fish & Wildlife have not received the original cites and the package has been approved to return to sender. I sent a "reply all" email asking if Fed Ex can hold the watch while Sarah sends the paperwork to F&W.

No response. The Fed Ex guy drives me a little crazy because he never says the package is being returned or is in the process of returning. He always says it's been "approved for return" and seems to ignore my requests to unapprove it. Sarah, on the other hand, has been great, really going to bat for me to try to get this package through and on its way to me.

So I'm pretty sure the watch is on its way back to Stowa, most likely with a new tracking number as mine still shows it's in Memphis.

What's funny is that if I flew to Germany, bought this watch and strap on site, put it on my wrist and then flew back home, no one at Customs would have said a word about my watch or my watch strap. Not a word.
    Last edited by DowningB; 1 Week Ago at 20:07.

Day 24. Same status, I think.

This morning there was another email exchange between Sarah of Stowa and the Fed Ex guy we've been dealing with. She sent him a copy of the paperwork. His response was that Fish & Wildlife have not received the original cites and the package has been approved to return to sender. I sent a "reply all" email asking if Fed Ex can hold the watch while Sarah sends the paperwork to F&W.

No response. The Fed Ex guy drives me a little crazy because he never says the package is being returned or is in the process of returning. He always says it's been "approved for return" and seems to ignore my requests to unapprove it. Sarah, on the other hand, has been great, really going to bat for me to try to get this package through and on its way to me.

So I'm pretty sure the watch is on its way back to Stowa, most likely with a new tracking number as mine still shows it's in Memphis.

What's funny is that if I flew to Germany, bought this watch and strap on site, put it on my wrist and then flew back home, no one at Customs would have said a word about my watch or my watch strap. Not a word.
    Well, if you did that, you’re supposed to declare the watch at customs. Not sure if CITES requirements would be checked.

A couple years ago, my wife was looking at a Chanel handbag in Singapore, and the SA let her know there “might” be CITES issue with US Customs due to a lizard skin handle. We went to our hotel and tried to determine online the likelihood of issues, and what we could do. Our research was inconclusive, so we chose to avoid the particular purchase.

Update: Yesterday the Fed Ex rep provided Sarah with Fish & Wildlife contact info. For probably the first time ever he didn't tell us that the package had been approved to return to sender, lol, so I'm hoping this means it's still in Memphis.

Sarah said she emailed F&W.

Day 27.

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    A Cites issue though ? Usually Stowa ship the strap separately. At least that‘s what they did in the past.
    My understanding is that Stowa does this. It sounds like someone forgot to remove the strap and the OP got unlucky enough they screened his package.

Instagram @open_escapement

Update: Yesterday the Fed Ex rep provided Sarah with Fish & Wildlife contact info. For probably the first time ever he didn't tell us that the package had been approved to return to sender, lol, so I'm hoping this means it's still in Memphis.

Sarah said she emailed F&W.

Day 27.
    Just FYI, Obama-era administration made it hard to import many things like Alligator, Mother of Pearl, etc into the US. Stowa has to jump through some different special hoops to get it into the US. This delay with Fish and Wildlife can take a few weeks to clear in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by JacobC View Post
    My understanding is that Stowa does this. It sounds like someone forgot to remove the strap and the OP got unlucky enough they screened his package.

That would be on me since I specifically asked Stowa to put the crocodile strap on the watch. Obviously had I known that it could cause an issue with Customs, I wouldn't have done it. I assume that had Stowa known they would have warned me.

Lesson learned, at least on my end. From now on, I'll just have all my watches internationally shipped with calf leather--apparently F&W doesn't care about little baby cows, lol--and purchase an alligator strap locally.

Day 28
    Last edited by DowningB; 1 Week Ago at 16:57.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information