I am Stowa Confused
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: I am Stowa Confused

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I am Stowa Confused

I am looking to get a Stowa. I would like to get them all, however I do not know if that will happen, so I may end up with just one. So, which one?

I want to get a watch that will be worn not one that just looks good in the watch box. Note that I will not actually be doing any diving, piloting aircrafts of any type or going to fancy dinners. I will be riding a desk, watching college football and camping with my family.

The Seatime and Prodives are probably my favorite on paper. They have that wow factor and look different than most other watches. Does their size decease the chance that they will be worn.

The Airman really looks good in pictures and it looks like the IWC pilot, the watch that got be hooked. It's classic and also not commonly seen in my neighborhood. Do these qualities decrease the change that it will be worn.

The Marine Auto is clean and simple and a great looking dress watch. Is it too dress for everyday use and do you worry about damaging it.

I have reviewed some of the "What's on your wrist today threads, and notice that a large percentage of watches worn on that particular day where dive watches. That makes me wonder if watch owners own more dive watches or if this is the type of watch they choose to grab as there heading out the door?

Lots of questions I have. Last one for now directed at people how have multiple Stowa washes. Which one do you wear the most?

Grails

My Short List:

• Halios Laguna
    • Antea 390 A 10
    • Longines "Legend Diver"
    • Vintage Tudor Snowflake
    • Vintage Omega Seamaster 300M
    • Omega Aqua Terra Seamaster Railmaster 2806.52.37

Re: I am Stowa Confused

I can't answer your specific question, as I only have a Marine Auto (although Seatime on the way...woot!). However, my Marine convinced a coworker to get an Airman. I wear my Marine almost every day, with almost any attire. My coworker wears his Airman every single day. It's tough to go wrong with any of these classic watches.

Dave

airman...the 40mm is one of the most comfy watches I own. Versatile, sizewise too. It's a daily wearer,imo.
    Excellent fit & finish, precise, good value for $.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by daviswalker View Post
    I can't answer your specific question, as I only have a Marine Auto (although Seatime on the way...woot!). However, my Marine convinced a coworker to get an Airman. I wear my Marine almost every day, with almost any attire. My coworker wears his Airman every single day. It's tough to go wrong with any of these classic watches.

Dave
    Thank you for your input.

Was woot.com [edited by mod] selling Seatime? I'll now even more confused.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; November 21st, 2008 at 21:27.

Grails

My Short List:

• Halios Laguna
    • Antea 390 A 10
    • Longines "Legend Diver"
    • Vintage Tudor Snowflake
    • Vintage Omega Seamaster 300M
    • Omega Aqua Terra Seamaster Railmaster 2806.52.37

Picture Re: I am Stowa Confused

As with any new watch, especially Stowas which are so finely crafted, being aware of how it's been worn in various situations is key. This changes over time, just like that new pair of tennis shoes you don't want to show any scuffs...until that one day when you get one.

I wear a Marine Original on many occasions, but the Airman gets most wrist time, especially at night because of the lume factor. You might find yourself eventually obtaining one of these, then a Marine - so different, but completely sharing the attributes of quality, care, accuracy, stability, and comfort.

Was this any help? I hope so, but I'm not sure. However, an Airman is a great watch with which to start any collection, especially if lume is a characteristic you find important as well as timing accuracy/stability, simple lines, easy readability and most lf all, super- fine craftsmanship - then you are making the right decision. No, I'd not wear it swimming, it's not remotely a diver type watch.

Glen

Last edited by inlanding; November 21st, 2008 at 20:30.

no no. Woot was my sound of exaltation at picking up a Seatime after lusting for a long time. Huzzah! might be another one. But I digress.

Dave

If I could just own one I would choose the Airman. Believe us when we say that it is a true beauty. I remember the first time I opened the aluminum case in which it was delivered to my home. I was expecting a good watch since I had read a whole lot of posts by my fellow watch-lovers on this forum. But the impression surpassed the expectations by far. I recall just looking at it before even touching it. Everything looked so purposeful, so no nonsense, just the way I wanted a timepiece to be - elegant, understated, to the point. When taking it out of the case I remember feeling the soft silky surface of the evenly brushed steel, the heft of this small mechanical wonder. The colors - black, white, steel and at some angles, a dash of blue from the hands. Stowa Airman speaks to the hearts of us watch enthusiasts that can not stand looking at a busy and clumsy dial layout, littered with gold, silver and gems, blinding the observer and offending our sense of grace.

Buy it, own it, enjoy it - knowing that you have succeeded in crossing the line separating those who buy bling, from those who buy a horological statement.

Best regards

Pierre

I think that the Stowa seatime or prodiver will be a great watch! I believe its a 42mm case, right now i have a seastar 1000 that is a 44mm and it fits my 6.5 wrist good. Unless you have less than a 6.5 wrist i wouldnt worry about it being to big!

I am considering a prodiver myself, one thing i am looking in for my next watch is brand name. I want something that will be respected when walking into a nice watch shop! Will Stowa be a respected watch brand, or will nobody know what it is? I hate when im not taken seriously at AD's

Ha - that's a good one!

If you wear any Stowa watch into a local-yokel watch shop, if there is anyone remotely familiar with watches and you place that timepiece in their hand, it will get their attentionn, then you get to teach them something.

Look forward to the reaction on the semi-knowledgeable face of the person behind the counter who's never seen such a finely crafted piece of work! Have a ball with it! Please remenber to post your experiences after your visit!

Glen
    Last edited by inlanding; November 21st, 2008 at 21:35.

My guess is that most average AD-employees will not recognize your Stowa. Therein lies the respect. Blake, you want the respect of real watch connoisseurs, like some of the guys on this forum. Dressed-up Breitling-wearers with nail polish "informing" you about the movement actually being swiss - their respect is expendable.

Best regards

Pierre

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information