I need your support/comments fellow Stowa aficionados

Thread: I need your support/comments fellow Stowa aficionados

I need your support/comments fellow Stowa aficionados

I've been wearing watches for as long as I can remember. I had Timex and Casio when I was a boy. Swatch, Fossil or so when a teenager.

My father (who sadly passed away in 2005) was kind of a watch aficionado. He knew about fine watches, but never really bought a "real" watch. He just couldn't justify the cost (3 children and a wife to feed).

I remember he had a fake Rolex in his drowner, but I know he was ashamed of it, and never wore it. I don't know how he got it, but he was the kind of person that could not tolerate the feeling of owning a fake watch. So, one day the watch just disappeared. He must have give it away to a friend or just threw it the the garbage can.... I don't care, I'm just like him.

I remember the first time I saw a Omega Speedy. I thought it was the most beautiful watch I've ever seen, but when I discovered the price, I just knew it was way out of my budget. The important thing was that thanks to the Speedy, I started to search info about watches in the internet.

Oh man.... I opened the Pandora's Box !! The last two years of my life I've been thinking, sleeping and eating watches. I wanted to have a mechanical watch and ended up buying a Seiko SKX031 with a super oyster, because of the looks and the price. I love this watch and I use it even while sleeping or taking showers. What I like about this watch is that for me is a tool watch. And what I need as a tool watch is, water proofness, Date, and Lume. This one has everything on it.

On the other hand, I love the looks of vintage watches with fine leather straps, and this is the part where Stowa steps in.

I'm not the kind of guy that want to have a lot of watches... I would like to have one or two and use them everyday. For me the mechanical watch depends on me in order to be alive, 48 hours without it and it would die... I hate that. Winders?, not for me... I feel like having a bird in a cage.

Every time I look at my watch, we smile to each other

Now I have something clear in my mind. The vintage-look watch with the leather strap I will buy is a Stowa... I don't know when, but I will.

Whats my fav.: The Marine Original Auto w/Date (no doubt here). I love the looks of the MO manual wind movement though.

Now, the problem I have (as some of you might think) is the money. To be honest I can't afford it right now. I could buy the cheapest Antea (with some sacrifices) but I might not be able to have a MO in the future.... and as I mentioned before, I don't want to have a lot of watches.

I know I can just use the credit card and see what happens when the bill arrives, but that would be VERY irresponsible (a wife and 2 kids to feed)

Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts with people I know will understand me. I felt in love not just with the looks of Stowa watches, the history, the manufacture process, this community, and to be able to get in touch directly with Jörg Schauer himself, has no price !!

Thanks a lot for reading

Best regards

Fernando AKA Gothian

Re: I need your support/comments fellow Stowa aficionados

Hi Fernando,
    Thanks for sharing your very personal and compelling story.

I, too, am a huge Stowa fan - won't go into the number of Stowas that've graced my wrist and is right now (Stowa Airman COSC no-logo)...I do have several other watch brands that've joined the ranks and that I appreciate as much each in their own way.

I found myself actually selling first some other items unrelated to watches in order to get started in this horological madness. They were things that no longer held appeal to me, but would appeal to others. So, I downsized one hobby for another so it would reduce the wallet pain.

This might be a way for you to acquire the Stowa that catches your eye the most.

Being part of this horological society puts in touch with people we'd never get to meet or interact with otherwise (on a world-wide basis). There are some fantastic folks here, with lots of experiences and knowledge to help you on your way. I am grateful to have the opportunity to share in it with them.

The one requirement is that once you have the Stowa of your choice on your wrist, you must post a few images of it so we can vicariously experience the joy with you.

Glen
    Last edited by inlanding; December 1st, 2008 at 20:53.

Welcome aboard Fernando! One of the great things about this community is that you've got a blend of the guys yearning for their grail watch for months or years in a row before they can acquire it, together with the high flyers whipping out dough by the suitcase to buy very expensive and exquisite timepieces. What brings us together is this inexplicable interest for the inner workings, the heritage, the elegance and the timelessness of our own watches and the watches of our fellow aficionados. I find myself logging on to WUS at times too often to be healthy. The thrill seems never to wear off.

Pierre

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello Fernando,

Like Pierre said, sometimes it takes a little longer to get the watch you really like. And sometimes, while waiting, other opportunities will come along. There is a thread here with some interesting ideas for a marine handwound, maybe even a limited edition. https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=198327.
    Just take your time and keep checking back for the latest news.

regards,
    Buutje

I know the feeling of having a watch in your sights without the money to pay for it.

I wouldn't buy the Antea if you really want the MO. They're only 143 euros different, so I wouldn't settle for an Antea (even though it's a great watch in its own right) when the MO is within reach. I'd just get an "MO cookie jar," put in the watch money you have now, and sock away $20 a month (or whatever you can manage) until you can make up the difference. You'd be surprised how quickly you get to the level where you can buy what you really want.

Meanwhile, keep your eyes on the for-sale board here, and you might be able to catch a deal.

I agree with inlanding that you could always try selling something else valuable. I used to collect golf putters, and sold some to help purchase a Stowa Airman. Turns out I appreciate the Airman far more than the putters! I'm not sure how much your Seiko is worth, but since you can only wear one watch at a time, you might consider selling it in favor of the MO.

Good luck getting your MO . . . I'm sure you'll love it!
    Last edited by Hansch99; December 2nd, 2008 at 14:43.

In your case I would not start with the Antea just because that's the one you can afford. The difference to a Marine Auto is not that huge.
    I would recommend to look for a used watch in good condition to further improve the value you get for your money.

Good luck and best wishes in your search - just do keep your eye on Sales Corner here - they do occassionally come up.

I am fortunate that I started my watch collecting after my children had grown up, my wife was working, so I did not need to be concerned that what I was spending should be put to one side for food or clothes!

Thanks everyone !!

Just wanted to thank all of you guys that take some time to read my novella and share your thoughts and ideas with me.

The project of selling some stuff sounds great, but the only things I could sell is my musician gear (guitars, amplifiers, multi-effects and so on). That wouldn't be a good idea, since I'm a musician and I need those things to play (I don't live from the music though)

The "MO cookie jar" project is the way to go !!.... I already have the jar in my desk (sealed and unable to open it unless broken... just in case LOL)

It might take some time for me to gather the money, but patience is a virtue and I have tons of it.

And as you suggested, I'll keep my eye on the sales corner.

Well, thanks again and best regards.

Fernando

Good luck saving! Be sure to share with us when you ultimately get your watch. Sharing in others' acquisitions and excitement gives people here a lot of joy.

Thread Information