Information about Stowa / Durowe

Thread: Information about Stowa / Durowe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information about Stowa / Durowe

Hi I'm new in this forum and I'm not an espert about watches

I really like the stowa watches....airman or marine original - automatic

but I don't really understand the difference between the different movements....eta ecc ecc

which it the best?

I would like to buy a full automatic watch

I've also seen the stowa with dorowe movement: what about this one: is better?
    I really love this:
    http://www.durowe.com/uhren.php?b=3&m=n

how much is this? is it 40 mm or 41 mm?

thank you

Re: Information about Stowa / Durowe

It's difficult to give a simple answer. In general ETA movements are very reliable, long lasting, accurate products, but they are mass production movements, ETA makes hundreds of thousands of them every year. They are obviously suitable for everyday use, but there's nothing special about them, apart from that they are swiss made mechanical movements.
    On the other side some other old movements, Angelus, Enicar, or Durowe are not produced recently, the number of those movements, unused before, are limited, therefore they make a watch a true rarity. Of course a watch with a Durowe movement has a higher value, even if Durowe is not more reliable or more accurate, then an ETA.
    Personally I would choose an ETA movement for a workhorse and the Durowe for a collection piece!
    Welcome to the world of watches!

thank you for your reply

do you mean that the ETA (or UNTAS but this is not automatic is this right?) movements are better under a thcnical point of view than a durowe?
    if I buy a durowe is there the risk it will break? or it's anyway reliable?

do you have some informations about this one? 40 mm or 41 mm? prices?

http://www.durowe.de/uhren.php?b=4&m=p

what about other old movements you mentioned Angelus, Enicar?

can you ask stowa to customize your watch with them?

thank you
    David

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Flieger watches you are asking for were released in 2002
    (75th anniversary of Stowa) in three versions, each of them in 75 pieces.

- 40mm "Bremen"
    - 36mm
    - 40mm GMT

image source: http://www.chukei1928.co.jp/html/05_memorial.html

The Bremen pops up from time to time; however I haven't seen any GMT or 36mm for sale and honestly I do have some doubts if all the 75 pieces were made in that case.

Also there was another Flieger edition with Durowe 7420 (100 pieces) and 40mm ("usual look"), they also show up from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by powermaxi2000; February 2nd, 2009 at 13:03.

thank you for your reply, I'm talking anyway about buying a new one from Stowa.

Quote Originally Posted by yatahaze View Post
    thank you for your reply

do you mean that the ETA (or UNTAS but this is not automatic is this right?) movements are better under a thcnical point of view than a durowe?
    if I buy a durowe is there the risk it will break? or it's anyway reliable?

do you have some informations about this one? 40 mm or 41 mm? prices?

http://www.durowe.de/uhren.php?b=4&m=p

what about other old movements you mentioned Angelus, Enicar?

can you ask stowa to customize your watch with them?

thank you
    David

Quite frankly I don't know how reliable the Durowe movements are, but in this aspect it's hard to outperform an ETA or Unitas movement. Since Jörg Schauer has bought the Durowe company with the movements produced till 1983, he can offer these rarities for his limited edition watches. Gerd Rüdiger Lang, the owner of Chronoswiss e.g. has bought Enicar movements, therefore the famous automatic regulators are equipped with Enicar - no other manufacturer, including Schauer can use them. Angelus, an other example, made 8-days movements for Panerai, and Panerai also released 150 watches with the original movement, their price has increased to an astronomical level since then. So if you choose a watch with Durowe movement, its price might increase by time. In spite of this, I wouldn't use a rarity watch everyday, that's rather a watch for special occasions or for a collection.

Quote Originally Posted by deOwar View Post
    In spite of this, I wouldn't use a rarity watch everyday, that's rather a watch for special occasions or for a collection.
    Imho Durowe movements (of course they also had high grade products) in the 70ies were rather standard high volume products. If you screen Ebay you can easily find watches of that time that use Durowe movements.

I myself do prefer Stowa / Schauer watches with such "rare" movements but would not rate them suitable only for the box.

For example the Durowe 7420 winds so easy and smooth that it would be a shame not to wear such a watch. On the other hand I'm not so satisfied with the power reserve which lasts not much more than a day respectively shows great difference between various movements.
    Last edited by powermaxi2000; February 2nd, 2009 at 15:21.

Quote Originally Posted by powermaxi2000 View Post

I myself do prefer Stowa / Schauer watches with such "rare" movements but would not rate them suitable only for the box.
    I'm glad to hear that, thank you for your input, but those movements we are talking about are NOS (new old stock) movements, never used before, contrary to those on eBay, that's why I called them "rare". But I would rather ask, how accurate those Durowe watch movements are?

To try and answer your question. I do not think it is possible to request different movements to be used in a new Stowa. Rest assured that the standard ETA automatic movements used in new Stowa watches are well made, reliable, and accurate. Welcome to the forum, and be confident in buying a new Stowa.

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by deOwar View Post
    I'm glad to hear that, thank you for your input, but those movements we are talking about are NOS (new old stock) movements, never used before, contrary to those on eBay, that's why I called them "rare". But I would rather ask, how accurate those Durowe watch movements are?
    If they are de-mounted, cleaned, oiled and mounted again a Durowe can easily compete with an ETA 2824-2. It may occure that the spring has to be replaced.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; February 4th, 2009 at 09:42.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information