WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Jorg Schauer bezel problem - design questions

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  neely 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Jorg Schauer Day Date GL42 and the bezel has fallen off. This GL42 has a tapered 12 screw bezel similar to the bezel on the Zentral model. The screws do not thread into the watch case, but are angled in the bezel to grip the watch case. I have emailed stowa for advice on how to best have the bezel reattached but have yet to get a response.

I was surprised the bezel screws were not threaded into the case, as it seems like a weak design. Does anybody know if this is the regular bezel fastening design use by Schauer? Has anybody had a similar problem with this type of bezel design. Any suggestions on how to have the bezel reattached in a manner so it wont fall off again? Do other schauer bezels actually thread into the case as it appears? If so would it be advisable to have this bezel changed out by schauer for a bezel that threads into the case?

Any help advice would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Hi Neely,
This sounds like a serious quality issue. To be quite frank, it's quite hard to believe that this happened at all since the "12 screw bezel" is the brand mark of all Schauer watches. And I'm pretty sure that Joerg does make sure that the bezel of his watches doesn't simply fall off. Your quality problem is so unusual that I would think of a faked watch - on the other hand I never heard that Schauer watches get copied as the Schauer brand is not very well known in the watch market. (Where did you buy the watch?)

You contacted Joerg already (to me this is the only way to go.....). I'm pretty sure that he will answer to your inquiry quite soon. Be a little patient since Joerg just returned from his vacation this week and has probably a huge backlog of emails to be read. Usually Joerg does answer rather quickly. I'm sure that Joerg will ask you to send the watch to him for inspection and repair.

I do hope that this issue will have a lucky end for you.

Regards, Omar

#3 ·
Hi Neely,
This sounds like a serious quality issue. To be quite frank, it's quite hard to believe that this happened at all since the "12 screw bezel" is the brand mark of all Schauer watches. And I'm pretty sure that Joerg does make sure that the bezel of his watches doesn't simply fall off. Your quality problem is so unusual that I would think of a faked watch ...
Omar - Thanks for your reply and concern. Be assured that this is a Schaer watch. I have since recd a request from Jorg for pictures, which I have just emailed, and am now waiting for his 2nd reply.

#11 ·
That does suprise me, I had thought that it was screwed through into the case on my various Schauers.

However, that does mean that the screws are decorative, and the bezel fits in the same way as on most other watch designs.
Jorg has recently contacted me with offer to reattach and tighten the bezel if I return the watch to him, or send the necessary screw driver and gasket with instructions to avoid costly shipping from the US. Jorg does take care of his customers.

It is true that the screws are definitely not decorative and I dont intend to discredit the quality of schauer/stowa watched in any way, but i was also surprised the bezel didnt screw into the case. I suppose there would be no room to screw into the case with this type of bezel design where the screws are at a 45 degree angle, rather than at a 90 degree angle to the case. I assume the other bezel designs, where the screws are set at 90 degrees to the case, actually screw into the case as that would appear to be the only way to affix the bezel in that design, but i dont know for sure. I have submitted this question to Jorg and asked his opinion on which is the better design if my assumption is correct and am awaiting his reply.

#12 ·
Thanks for sharing this info. I also thought the screws for these type of bezel are really "screwed" in but it seems like the design is more for decorative purposes. It's quite an elaborate way to tighten the bezel to the watch case.

On the other way, it makes sure that there are no "holes" in the watch case (so that your watch case is still "whole") and also leave room for you to change your bezel in the future (due to wear and tear).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.