Just stumbled upon Stowa....tell me more!

Thread: Just stumbled upon Stowa....tell me more!

Just stumbled upon Stowa....tell me more!

I am looking for an elegant white dial watch with black strap to wear mainly with my business attire. I was about to pull the trigger and get the IWC Portugeuse Chrono Auto watch (see pic). However, this morning I stumbled upon Stowa and the Marine Original with Roman numerals. Needless to say, I think this watch is stunning and exactly what I was looking for, at least in terms of how it looks.

I have gone to their website and read everything I could but I still do not know much about Stowa. Like everyone else, I am concerned with quality, accuracy, reliability, etc. How good is a Unitas movement? How does Stowa compare to the best Swiss watches like IWC in these terms? I am open minded and would like nothing more than to save a few thousand dollars.

Members of this forum, convince me to buy the Marine Original Roman numerals!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Just stumbled upon Stowa....tell me more!

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    I am looking for an elegant white dial watch with black strap to wear mainly with my business attire. I was about to pull the trigger and get the IWC Portugeuse Chrono Auto watch (see pic). However, this morning I stumbled upon Stowa and the Marine Original with Roman numerals. Needless to say, I think this watch is stunning and exactly what I was looking for, at least in terms of how it looks.

I have gone to their website and read everything I could but I still do not know much about Stowa. Like everyone else, I am concerned with quality, accuracy, reliability, etc. How good is a Unitas movement? How does Stowa compare to the best Swiss watches like IWC in these terms? I am open minded and would like nothing more than to save a few thousand dollars.

Members of this forum, convince me to buy the Marine Original Roman numerals!
    They're pretty different watches. Why are you going from a chronograph watch to a non-chronograph watch? From your description it sounds like you need to do a bit more research about your needs and how much you want to spend to meet them before you take the plunge.

That said, either watch is beautiful and superbly finished.

Cursor, thank you for the reply. I do not necessarily need a chrono. For this purchase I am mainly interested in how the watch looks (and of course quality, reliability, etc). My only need is a nice watch that I can wear with my business attire. I tend to wait a long time (5-8 years) before buying new watches so whatever I buy has to stand the test of time in terms of reliability as well as appearance. The latter reason is why I am looking for a classically elegant and simple watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Stowa makes excellent watches with superb customer service.
    If you use the forum search function you'll find many great pics and reviews of the MO I'm sure.
    Best of luck!
    "Time is the school in which we learn. Time is the fire in which we burn."

stuffler,mike

Quote Originally Posted by tboooe View Post
    Well, all questions have already been answered here on the forum (and - btw - on TZ) in a lot of threads. On both fora there is an unisonous judgement: Go for it. This includes the quality, the craftmanship of Jörg and his team as well as accuracy of the movment and overall reliability. Unitas movement have been concepted as pocket watch movements and had its debut in the 50ties. You´ll find them in a lot of watches of our times, just because the movement proved itself to be a working horse. A fast number of manufacturers do use the Unitas 6497 or 6498.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:05.

Here are the reasons I placed my order for a Roman MO:

1. Stunning design
    2. Beautiful finishing
    3. Solid movement
    4. Company pilosophy
    5. Glowing reviews and feedback from proud owners
    6. Price point to value ratio
    7. Stellar customer service

These are the reasons that come to mind, but I am sure there are more than that.

Stowa is a breath of fresh air in this day and age and I am more than happy to support them.

Of course one main difference of the Unitas movement, is that it is a hand wound movement. I did not see if this mattered to you or not, but it would have to be wound every day. I personally believe Stowa watches are some of the best buys in the watch world. You get alot of value for your money, as well as a unique watch that very few people will also have. The MO roman watch is such a classic design, it will always be in style. I would say go for it and you won't regret it.

stowa watches are one of the greatest values in watches today. fantastic quality for a reasonable price. once you've determined the style and size you want, you can not go wrong. the great customer service is icing on the cake.
    --AC

Stowa is for many people an undiscovered gem in the watch world. I think they compete well with models of any price from any maker-they're simply fantastic.

The fact that they are reasonably priced is wonderful, as I feel they could easily command 2-3x their asking price, and few would complain.

Chris
    --
    "What you think, you become"

-Buddha

my current collection: '68 Tudor Sub-military, '83 Rolex Seadweller 16660 (matte dial), '62 Rolex Zephyr, Doxa Sub 300T Professional Reissue, Doxa Divingstar 750 GMT, Omega Flightmaster c911, Omega Seamaster 300/date, Omega PloProf 1200, Omega PO Chrono c9300, Seiko MarineMaster 300M, ZRC Etanche Grand Fondes reissue, B&R BR-02, Seiko Scubamaster M726, Helson Sharkmaster Destro, MeisterSinger Scrypto

Thread Information