Long Overdue Stowa Seatime Review! lots of pics!

Thread: Long Overdue Stowa Seatime Review! lots of pics!

Thumbs Up Long Overdue Stowa Seatime Review! lots of pics!

it was late last year that my quest for a well built,solid watch started. so i started galloping around various watch forums and landed here at WUS amongst others.

i saw many watches that i liked,along the lines of omega and breitling,but a little known watch company (to me:oops:) managed to get my attention straight away. what got my attention? the watch case, it was something totally unusual to what i was used to before. not a small man, i was naturally attracted to big watches, its just something about wrist presence.B-)

so after a couple of months saving and researching (did not manage to find a single negative comment) i ordered a stowa seatime (all black), a week later the watch arrived in a well protected package with all the literature from Jorg/Stowa. up to this point the experience was on a different level, it was a lot more personal. i mean i have dealt with a few sellers, and this was and still is right at the top. Jorg's hospitable accomodation for a custom look and strange combination requests are also appealing in that you can ask him a question and not only will the reply be fast but also will fulfill your question with a positive answer.

so far so good.

i opened the fedex parcel to find the box with all the paper work, you guessed it, paper work to the side straight to the watch container. it is nice enough but i wasnt going to wear that now was i?. i was instantly amazed at the size of the watch, it was HUGE! the biggest in my collection of time pieces. Hmmmm.....maybe i bit off more than i could chew, and i was a little pesimistic about its size. but i tried it on anyway, and it was like a carrying a small tank on my wrist.PERFECT. next step was to adjust the bracelet, a doddle with the screw in links.

after adjusting the bracelet the watch fits like a glove. hard to imagine on such a hunk of steel.

now then, the build. what can i say? perfect,peerless,superb, perhaps supreme. whatever. all words are good to go when it comes to the Stowa Seatime. the perfectly finished case has been evenly done. even the case back (massive caseback) is handsome enough to look at. the crown is beautifully signed with the stowa logo. and is well recessed in to the crown guards. i must admit the crown is very easy to operate and does not 'bite' into my wrist at all. it turns very smoothly and pulls out with nice positive clicks to set time and date and there is no 'play' in the crown.again very solid.

the case has been made to keep the traditional seatime look from the past but is a modern interpretation of a dive watch, which does release fresh air into the market thats filled with homages and clones of watches costing 10x as much. with straight edges and sloping lug ends the profile gives the watch a tall appearence but it sits extremely well on the wrist.

the bezel is also well made. nice,tight and positive clicks @ 60 clicks. lines up perfectly as well and there is a illuminating triangle @12. glows all night.
    the bezel also slopes inwards providing some nice protection to the crystal, its not everyones favorite design, but each to its own i guess.its perfect for me. the crystal is sapphire and there is no AR coating, but it is quite big.

On to the dial then. its beautiful. the nickel hands and the superluminova (SL) coated sweep second hand looks beautiful. and the numbers on the dial make for easy time reading. the date @ 6 o'clock is unobtrusive, there when you need it. the hands and numbers/hour markers are coated in SL i beleive and it works well with the glow all night.

Ah, the bracelet, normally if i have a bracelet watch, the bracelet comes off straight away, but on the seatime, it would be injustice on my part to remove the bracelet as it would not complete the watch. solid 5 link bracelet is so comfy that i slept with the watch on last night just to see what it feels like. to be honest i did not feel the watch at all.
    the clasp is also signed 'stowa seatime' and logo. its a solid steel clasp, not the press metal one. the diver extention is also very nice made and feels as solid as the rest of the watch.

the movement is the tried and tested ETA 2824.it works very well for this type of watch. i beleive it has been Stowa decorated. timekeeping on the watch is spot on because at my workplace the digital clock is given a god-like importance.haha:-D.

i havent changed a thing on this watch.only becuase its so well made and feels that way as well. what i like most about this watch is, that although its BIG it does not shout 'look at me' and does not look like anything else. its very subtle and understated. just how a watch should be IMO.so much so that i even wore it at a wedding. with a suit.thats right. i got a fair few comments, starting initially from WOW thats huge progessing onto where did you get it from, its very nice etc etc. so it does get looks and raises interest.

some final thoughts:
    the Seatime is a well balanced watch and looks good enough because it is. i would definetly buy another, probably the chronometer version with a solid caseback. is it built like a tank?yes.can it take a beating?yes. will it let you down?no.. at heart its a divers watch but it would be easy to mistake it for it be not a divers outside of WIS circles.

for an additional sum of money people can get the ProDiver the Seatime's big brother. it keeps inline with the seatime heritage but is better spec'd and cost increase justifies the spec. final word, Seatime or ProDiver which ever one people go for i can tell you now, you wont be disappointed.goodwork Jorg/Stowa

please find below attached pictures of the seatime with another treasured watch. a rare seiko 6306 from 1978 for comparison purposes. it was getting dark in england when i took the pics.hehe.
    THE-------------END

i hope you enjoyed this review-my first. please let me know if i have missed out anything and if you enjoyed it.

regards

ray
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by raydin; September 19th, 2006 at 21:24.

-------------------------------------------------
    http://flickr.com/photos/farhandin
    -------------------------------------------------

redstart

Re: Long Overdue Stowa Seatime Review! lots of pics!

Quote Originally Posted by raydin
    it was late last year that my quest for a well built,solid watch started. so i started galloping around various watch forums and landed here at WUS amongst others.

final word, Seatime or ProDiver which ever one people go for i can tell you now, you wont be disappointed.goodwork Jorg/Stowa

please find below attached pictures of the seatime with another treasured watch. a rare seiko 6306 from 1978 for comparison purposes. it was getting dark in england when i took the pics.hehe.
    THE-------------END

i hope you enjoyed this review-my first. please let me know if i have missed out anything and if you enjoyed it.

regards

ray
    Ray, let me be the first to congratulate and thank you for a great, great review!

Thanks for the great review and pics. Makes me really excited for the UPS man to arrive tomorrow ;)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great review, thanks!
    *Nick*
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor souls who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat " - Theodore Roosevelt

Thumbs Up Re: Long Overdue Stowa Seatime Review! lots of pics!

:thanks for that really useful review, Buddy
    Even a broken watch shows the correct time twice a day

Thanks was pleased to read this - and even more pleased that I have one of these!

Hi Ray,

A great and very usefull review - thank you!
    I'll surely have a look onto the Seatime / Prodiver when I'll pick up my Marine Original in November.

Cheers, Ralf
    List of dreams:
    Glashuette Original Sport Evolution Big Date -
    Glashuette Original Senator Kalenderwoche - Nomos Orion - Omega Railmaster - Omega SMP GMT

Thread Information