A long search comes to an end

Thread: A long search comes to an end

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

A long search comes to an end

I just ordered my first automatic/mechanical timepiece from Stowa. I opted for one of the Stowa Antea Black (no date) that was available at a discounted price because it was shown at an exhibition.

I've never owned a fine watch of any sort. When I was a much younger man, I determined that my wild lifestyle could put a nice watch in jeopardy. In fact, I recall scraping the paint from the crystal of my cheap quartz watch on several mornings (perhaps afternoons) following wild nights on the town.

Now, however, I am older, and I have a family to care for. I seldom drink, and when I do, it is rarely to excess. This year, I turned 39, and I realized that I am nearly 40 and I still don't have a proper dress watch. Thus, I embarked on the long search.

The Internet is both a blessing and a curse--it is a blessing in that I was able to find what I wanted, but a curse in that there are so many watchmakers out there, with so many lines of watches to review.

It took days of research just to even get a feel for what I wanted, beyond the requirement that it be a suitable "dress watch." I managed to come up with the following requirements:

• dress watch (no dive watches, racing watches, or aviator-style watches)
    • classic look (no trendy watches)
    • leather band (can come with metal, but must still look good w/leather)
    • automatic/mechanical (no quartz, battery-driven, or manual wind)
    • clean layout (few or no complications, no chronographs)
    • round dial
    • Arabic numerals (index marks or Roman numerals only if the watch face design is exceptional)
    • cost below $1k

You can imagine my reaction when I stumbled across the Stowa Antea. I actually found it fairly early in my search, but I persevered--I wanted to make sure that I'd seen plenty of candidates before I made my decision.

I managed to come up with a couple of contenders (e.g., Oris Classic Date, Tissot Classic series), but I kept coming back to the stark beauty of the Antea. After eliminating nearly 50 other watchmakers, I chose the Stowa.

Prior to making my purchase, I browsed through these forums very carefully, learning as much as I could about Stowa and Jörg Schauer. When I ran across the note on the exhibition watches (posted here, though no doubt it won't be mentioned there for long), I knew I could wait no longer. I placed my order this morning.

stuffler,mike

Re: A long search comes to an end

Congrats with your soon-to-be-delivered-watch and welcome to the Official Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum.

Good choice done!
    The ANTEA was my first STOWA watch too - and now there are several siblings like SEATIME, Marine Automatic, Marine Original and some variations of the ANTEA.
    Considering your above mentioned requirements I'm sure that you will buy some other STOWA watches in future too.

Have fun with your "First Stowa",

brainless

PS: Perhaps you should correct this thread in: "A long search comes to a break..."
    Last edited by brainless; June 16th, 2008 at 11:02.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congrats, my journey with Stowa started with Antea too

I like the Stowa Antea black dial as well. I recently received my first Stowa, the Flieger Original and am super happy with the quality and fit and finish. I think Stowa is a great way to go because of the high quality when compared to other brands in the same price range.

Congrats on a great choice and welcome to the Forum.
    ToddH

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." Albert Einstein

Congratulations! The Stowas are fabulous watches and for the price they are very hard to beat.
    Rotating on my wrist this month: Stowa Blue WatchTime Flieger, Sinn EZM9, Sinn T1, Sinn 556 Blue, Stowa Antea LE Polish Forums, Stowa Verus 40, Damasko DS30 greenie, Sinn U1, Stowa Antea Klassik KS Rose, Nomos Tangente Silvercut

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Atwood View Post
    Congratulations! The Stowas are fabulous watches and for the price they are very hard to beat.
    Totally agree, Airman bought and will add the MO next year unless a limited edition field watch is chosen for a project!

Quote Originally Posted by FLTiger View Post
    It took days of research just to even get a feel for what I wanted, beyond the requirement that it be a suitable "dress watch."
    Just days of research? Man, it took me weeks!

My wife was always like, "You're looking at watches again..."

Good choice though, with the Stowa and the Antea. I'm turning 40 this July and I'm treating myself to a Stowa MO. I ended up getting an Omega and an Archimede, but that Stowa itch is still there.

Well done - as the owner of a black dialled, no date Antea, I know you will be very pleased with your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn in Indy View Post
    Just days of research? Man, it took me weeks!
    I started my search on June 4, and I ran across the Stowa Antea on June 5. I kept looking for other candidates, though, and concluded my search on the June 14 when I got confirmation that the Antea Black exhibition watches were still available, and had still not found a watch I favored over the Stowa. :)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information