Looking to get a Flieger.

Thread: Looking to get a Flieger.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking to get a Flieger.

Hey guys,

I want a Flieger and have been looking at my options. Cost is a factor in my decision but I also know you get what you pay for.

Basically the way I see it you can get a Laco with a miyota movement for $300 or you can get the real deal Stowa with a 2824-2 for $650

Really I guess what im looking for is support on my decision, With the stowa you get REAL blued hands, watch completely made in Germany, front and rear sapphire and its not as thick( 10.20 mm vs 12mm)

So is this a no-brainer or what?
    Last edited by Longjeans; July 25th, 2011 at 08:18.

Re: Looking to get a Flieger.

Quote Originally Posted by Longjeans View Post
    watch completely made in Germany
    Is that so?

Quote Originally Posted by avatar1 View Post
    Is that so?
    Where are STOWA watches and components made ?

Sometimes there are discussions about the "Country of Origin" of STOWA watches and other watchbrands.
    We at STOWA want to be open as always.

Already in the year 2007 an article in the german watchmagazine Armbanduhren was published.
    (in the reason of the 80th. Anniversary of the STOWA Brand)
    It was the result of a interview Jörg Schauer gave to Armbanduhren.

Martin Häussermann(Journalist) and Jörg Schauer talked about the marketing and philosophy of STOWA.:

"Even under Schauer's aegis, these have been turbulent times for Stowa, with a lot of pressure being exerted on prices.The young team in Engelsbrand has managed to release this pressure in two ways: on the one hand, Schauer has been systematically and successfully looking for component manufacturers with a more favourable pricing structure, including those in the Far East, he admits. On the other hand, he emphasised that "80 percent of the value of Stowa watches is created in Europe". The company's marketing policy has been changed as well: from a traditional brand to direct sales. Schauer has been selling Stowa almost exclusively on-line for almost three years now (www.stowa.com) or directly from his workshop. Stowa watches have become clearly cheaper as a result of more favourable purchasing terms and the elimination of dealer profit margins."

So.... 80% (VALUE, not parts) - Europe: Germany, Switzerland etc.
    20% (VALUE): hmm China?
    Last edited by FliegerPL; July 25th, 2011 at 11:44.
    "All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain"

Blade Runner

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

To those whom may be concerned,

No different than most other brands, looking to cut costs! This would include companies like IWC for example. I think most important is the quality of the product and the quality of STOWA watches is first rate, period! There are many fine brands to be sure, for the money, none are better than STOWA!!!

Ren

Quote Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
    To those whom may be concerned,

No different than most other brands, looking to cut costs! This would include companies like IWC for example. I think most important is the quality of the product and the quality of STOWA watches is first rate, period! There are many fine brands to be sure, for the money, none are better than STOWA!!!

Ren
    You're right but in my opinion, it should not be "MADE IN GERMANY" or "SWISS MADE".
    It's not fair. 80% of the value of the watch can be 5% or less of the components.
    It's stupid law to protect the local business.
    Everybody knows but everybody accept it. Of course it's cooler to wear a Swiss or German Made watch, then Assembled in Germany or Switzerland.
    It's really not a shame to print on the dial or engrave on the case "ASSEMBLED IN GERMANY" or "ASSEMBLED IN SWITZERLAND"
    It's sign of our times, we like to be lied.

Blade Runner

As for Longjeans' question regarding Laco Miyota vs Stowa, I'd strongly recommend Stowa. I have one of each and the Miyota is nowhere near Stowa in quality. If I didn't know the pricing and had to guess, I would have guessed the Stowa cost at the very least 4 times as much as the Miyota.

What I think is ment by 80% of the watch is that there are parts of the watch which have been produced outside of Germany. Example: Sapphire crystals are nolonger made in Germany and so must be out sourced. The Swiss movement is self explained, the case is by Fricker and the finishing touches such as hand matte finished, handmade rotor, engravings and final assembly.

How many large watch companies use Swiss movements, more than you think and still they call them their own!!! You may say that they work on these movements until they are called in house, most of the time this also is not true.

Stowa is a German watch of high quality and one which has the right to place German made on their watches!!!

REN

Quote Originally Posted by Renisin View Post
    .The Swiss movement is self explained,
    REN
    I'm not so sure. Some ETA movements are Made in China and in Thailand

Interview with Anton Bally, President of ETA

"Are these movements sold to European companies ?
    We need this type of movement in Switzerland too but we make them here and sell them as "Swiss Made". The movements made in China and Thailand are sold to Hong Kong."

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...oto=1701&rid=2

It is very possible, that the european ETA movements are just "assembled" in Switzerland from the parts made in China.

Blade Runner

Quote Originally Posted by FliegerPL View Post
    I'm not so sure. Some ETA movements are Made in China and in Thailand

Interview with Anton Bally, President of ETA

"Are these movements sold to European companies ?
    We need this type of movement in Switzerland too but we make them here and sell them as "Swiss Made". The movements made in China and Thailand are sold to Hong Kong."

TimeZone: TZ Classics: 935 : Interview with Anton Bally, President of ETA

It is very possible, that the european ETA movements are just "assembled" in Switzerland from the parts made in China.
    This is brutal! so its possible that stowa watches and other claiming to have swissmade ETA movements are actually made in china?

Quote Originally Posted by Longjeans View Post
    This is brutal! so its possible that stowa watches and other claiming to have swissmade ETA movements are actually made in china?
    This is brutal but this is true.

The 50% Rule for Swiss Made Watches Use of the Swiss Made label for watches is covered by an ordinance of the Federal Council dated 29 December 1971. The Swiss standard is often pejoratively referred to as the 50% Rule. However, it has its basis in real life economics. Again, the law merely sets forth a minimum standard. The famous or infamous Swiss Made Ordinance has, for a number of years, been subject to many criticisms, particularly inside the industry, because it is considered too lax, but also in legal circles, where the view is that it no longer fully meets the legal mandate specified in the companion law on trademarks (SR 232.11).
    “It is not generally known that quite a few Swiss companies have watches assembled in China for export to North America, Asia and even Europe, where the brand name is more important that the “Swiss made” label. Such watches may consist of a Chinese case and a Chinese crystal, a Taiwan-made dial and metal bracelet and Japanese hands. If the movement is to be considered Swiss, 51% of its value must be Swiss and at least the last wheel must be added in Switzerland. Swiss watch brands without the “Swiss made” label are usually equipped with a Japanese movement. The “Swiss parts” label means that the movement is assembled in Asia using kits consisting at least partially of Swiss made components.”

Nice exemple:

Laco by Lacher / Made in Germany

Movement (Heart of the watch, the most important part in the watch): Japanese movement Miyota (less value then 50%)

Case:
    Hands:
    Strap:

The watch is proudly Made in Germany

Last edited by FliegerPL; July 25th, 2011 at 20:13.

Blade Runner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information