Loudness of MO

Thread: Loudness of MO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loudness of MO

Hi,
    I am a big fan of the Marine Original and I am considering to order one in the some day. The only thing I m still not sure about is the loudness of the watch. I did get the impression while reading some posts that the movement makes a rather loud ticking noise. Now this is something I would not like, since I remember with horror the annoying sound of a Swatch lying beneath my pillow while trying to sleep.

So how would you rate the volume level of a MO if a Swatch is a reference fot a "loud" watch?

Thanks,
    SB

Re: Loudness of MO

It Is alot more loud then 2824 and 2892 for sure, but I love It
    You`re interested in stopwatches? Please visit
    http://stopwatches.forum24.se

I have excellent hearing and can't hear any of the watches in my collection unless I hold it closer to my head, and the room is relatively quiet.

Unless you (a) have bionic hearing, and (b) work in a morgue, I really don't think it will be an issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I can just hear mine if it's on the table about 3-4 feet from my head. But it's very directional, and if the ear is not just in the right orientation, I don't hear it.

I find the same with a cheap Marina Militare I was given, which uses (probably) an Asian version of the same design. Neither watch is annoying though, and this is from someone who always sleeps with earplugs if there's something noisy around.

So I really wouldn't worry about it. The watch is much, much more fun than any problem you might imagine concerning it. Get one

Hi,
    Yes, the Unitas movement is indeed a little louder than a 2824 movement but it isn't by far as loud as the old Swatch quartz movements.
    So the "loudness" of the MO shouldn't really bother.......
    Just buy it and enjoy the great look of the movement.
    Regards, Omar

Thanks for your replies. I was hoping that it is not all that bad, since I am really in love with that watch.

SB

This is a truly unique question. I love listening to my MO LE and I enjoy hearing its constant beatings. But I would have to move it to about two inches away from my ears to feel it like a normal person's conversation volume. I put my Sinn 856 (2892) at the same place and because of its higher beat rate and so it sounds louder than my MO. Now, if you really love this watch and wonder whether the "loudness" would make you regret or anything like that you are totally mislead.

For one, you would never put this MO under your pillow for you would always want to stare (and drool) at it on your nightstand. And second, by putting it at that place, its constant beating (even if you have a "Six Million Dollar Man" ears) will let you fall asleep quiet and sound.

Don't worry, man. When you lurk at this forum, have you seen any of us MO (not to mention MO LE) lovers ever mention about its "loudness??" And so my suggestion to you is: go and buy it and wear it, you will not regret it. (Check out their delivery schedule though, I am sure you are aware it is German Holiday now and the watch will probably be delivered at the end of September.)

Cheers.

Let's see...the horror of a loud ticking watch. How does one address that?

It is somewhere between the sound of a mouse running on carpet and a 747 at take-off. More the former than the latter, though.

You should buy an MO and conquer your fears!

Smile Re: Loudness of MO

Yeah, maybe my little rough english over-exaggerated it a little bit. Its not that I cry in pain when a watch is ticking near my ear. Its just that I dont like sounds when trying to sleep (even very quiet ones). Isnt everybody a bit neurotic with some things?

One solution might be that you do not wear the watch when you sleep, but instead place it on a soft cloth on the nightstand. I have to tell you, there is something very meditative about that very well regulated, slow, strong beating watch, with zero beat errors and high amplitude. The reworked movement in the MO is a perfect example of a well-crafted one. It keeps superb time for all those reasons.

I understand about the over-focusing piece. I became so focused on a watch's timekeeping ability, that I've become a watch regulating maniac. . Some of my used timepieces are astonishingly accurate and precise now. It's been a wonderful learning experience, learning how to perform a basic regulation, how to use the correct tools, etc. It's become more than just collecting and wearing watches for me.

Have fun !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information