"Made In Germany" on the dial--is this a new trend for Stowa Marine watches?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: "Made In Germany" on the dial--is this a new trend for Stowa Marine watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Made In Germany" on the dial--is this a new trend for Stowa Marine watches?

I'm a newcomer to this Forum, so if this topic has been discussed elsewhere I apologize. I tried to do a search but didn't find anything on this.

I recently ordered a Marine Classic 40mm Roman Handwound No-Date. Just your basic roman numeral dial, no clutter other than the Stowa logo, which I like very much. This will be my traditional white dial dress watch.

But one thing that held me back at first was this small bit of clutter that was actually missing: the lack of "Made In Germany" on the dial. I know it's a small thing and probably way down everyone's priority list, but I prefer the country of origin to show on the dial. Heck, just for fun I once bought a very inexpensive watch purely because it says "Glasgow" on the dial. I know this matters to at least one other person because he also mentioned it in his YouTube review--I almost fell out of my chair because I thought I was the only one bothered by it.

I contacted customer service via Instant Chat and was advised that "Made In Germany" will be on my 40mm dial even though it doesn't appear in the photos on the website. I'm a little nervous about this because I have yet to see "Made In Germany" on a forum posted Stowa Marine photo so I've got my fingers crossed.

Looking at the Stowa website, it appears that "Made In Germany" appears on only four of the nine versions of the Marine model: both of the Original 41mms, the Original Red 60 and the Classic Chronograph. I'm guessing, always dangerous, that these are the newest versions so maybe this is a new trend? I know from reading other threads here that the website sometimes has to be updated so maybe that's what's happening?

Further confusing the issue is that when I click on either of the two 41mm versions to enlarge the photographs, I don't see "Made In German" on the dial. The angle of the watches make it difficult to know for sure. But when I click on either the Red 60 and Chronograph, the angle makes it easy to see and "Made In Germany" is definitely there.

All of which leads me to ask: What's going on here? Is "Made In Germany" not the norm for a Stowa Marine dial? If so, why? I would think it's a selling point given Germany's deserved reputation for clean, precise design and high-quality production values. Plus it's a tradition, at least in my mind, to proudly show the country of origin on the dial. Whenever I'm wearing a German watch and someone asks about it, I always mention it was made in Germany. Swiss watches, not so much since they're more the norm. German watches, to me anyway, are more special.

G07

Re: "Made In Germany" on the dial--is this a new trend for Stowa Marine watches?

My Stowa Marine Classic, 40 mm, Roman just has Stowa on the dial. Watch is @ 1 year old. Made in Germany is on the caseback.

Just an FYI, my 40mm Klassic Marine also has no Made in Germany on the dial. It hs on the back.

It may be that they are going to place the words Made in Germany on the dial as a special request based on your chat but I suspect there might have been a misunderstanding in your communication.

I’d contact them again to make sure.

For me, I like the clean dial without the words.
    Last edited by rifmon; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:33.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: "Made In Germany" on the dial--is this a new trend for Stowa Marine watches?

My 5+ year old Marine doesn't have Made in Germany on the dial. Some do, some don't. I think it's just design preference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

DowningB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    Just an FYI, my 40mm Klassic Marine also has no Made in Germany on the dial. It hs on the back.

It may be that they are going to place the words Made in Germany on the dial as a special request based on your chat but I suspect there might have been a misunderstanding in your communication.

I’d contact them again to make sure.

For me, I like the clean dial without the words.
    Well, the rep on the Instant Chat--I've forgotten her name--seemed to understand my question as she even volunteered that it would appear under the 6 o'clock position and that it just didn't show up in the photos. But you're right, I should contact them again, so I just fired off an email to Barbara Schöttle to confirm. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't know why I didn't think about it before. I guess I'm just not yet used to having this kind of relationship with a watch maker, lol.

If it turns out to be some sort of special request, I'll be happy to fork over a few more bucks to get it done.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Once upon a time....

Name:  B380C7F0-57DE-40C3-9612-0D38E2BF7263.jpeg
Views: 77
Size:  138.4 KB
    DowningB likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

You have the earlier logo. Nice!

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon View Post
    You have the earlier logo. Nice!
    Yep, on most of my Stowa watches

Name:  0F9E2200-78F0-4DAF-B8F8-7FD66DB1A25D.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  972.6 KB

Name:  16808146-7E8A-42A8-87C0-CC070F69E16E.jpeg
Views: 71
Size:  598.0 KB
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Good news. Barbara doesn't work on Wednesdays so she kindly forwarded my email to Martin Ott, who promptly replied.

Bad news. Per Martin, "Made In Germany" does not appear on the Marine Classic dials, but rather only on the Marine Original dials. I think he meant only on the 41mm versions because it's definitely on the Classic Chrono dial.

Dang it.

He asked if I wanted to change my order to the MO but given that I already have several watches with the seconds sub-dial and that the MOs are double the price, I told him I would stick with my Classic. It's not that important to me, lol.

I asked him if it were possible to get it as a special order for a price more reasonable than double, but I'm not optimistic. The Classics, other than the Chrono, are either 36 or 40mm so it's not as if they can just plug an MO dial onto a Classic. I also told him he should bring the misinformed Instant Chat rep up to speed so this doesn't happen again.

Just seems strange that "Made In Germany" would appear on some models but not others but hey, it's their shop and they can run it as they please. I'm sure they have bigger things to worry about. I'll get over it. As pointed out earlier, the absence does make for a cleaner dial so there is that.

I agree. You may end up appreciating the slightly cleaner dial.

But it’s good you clarified this. You avoided a surprise disappointment when it reached your door.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information